[Guide]: Gangplank: "What's this, AP Business? Yar Har!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nightdancer ND

12-28-2010

I don't play normal Critplank either (nor lol-Tankplank)

JohnCataldo

12-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonton55 View Post
How do you stay alive 'til level 2?? It sounds silly, but generally when people see that I can't parrrley them and don't have very high health, they start harassing me so hard that I end up with around 200 health by the time I'm level 2. O_o
If this is a serious problem, you need to change some basics of how you play many champions, probably. Lots of champions don't have Parrrley-level harassment at level 1... do you end up at 200 health with all of them by level 2?

If it helps, it's OK if you NEVER get a minion kill at level 1, if that minion kill is going to cost you 200-300 health! You shouldn't be at level 1 very long, and because you are denying you are gaining XP on enemies even if you aren't way ahead in gold.

If you are solo-mid, as GP often ends up, a single enemy shouldn't be able to harass the **** out of you during your extremely brief stay at level 1.

Cenerae

12-28-2010

This build actually works better than I was expecting it to. Went RoA > Lichbane > Gunblade before the game finished (took the Gunblade because I wanted to increase Parrrley damage as much as possible, and the team needed an extra snare) and came out with a pretty good KDA. The only part I felt like I was weak was up till the point where I finished the Sheen. Still, I guess that's no worse than cringing every time I use Q to see no crit at that stage. The ult did horrific damage, though was very random.

All in all, it felt more reliable than critplank, though I missed being able to almost 1 shot a squishy when I got lucky. The ult and heal increases made up for that though.

+1 OP. I don't think I'd have even thought of trying it if not for this guide.

DoransTroll

12-28-2010

Raise Morale is not worth it for denial purposes. But it's great for setting up kills.

GP is the only champ who can really control the minion wave to push toward his own tower, drawing the enemies away from their safe zone. If your mana is high, you may choose to ignore farming for a bit, start using Parley to harass, and spam Raise Morale to draw the minions away from their tower. The enemy champs will either be forced to recall, or be drawn out, and subsequently killed.

Another note--Raise Morale raises your attack passively, then doubles the bonus when you activate it (and grants MS). If you're not laning against a very strong CCer, it is possible to also use the extra stat+MS to steal some last hits that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Craixis

12-28-2010

As you said, denying with Raise Morale is not the real goal with it, its to "pull" the lane. The level bonus you get is the icing on the cake, and a good reason to do it at level 1 (if the lane is going your way, you never have to worry about the jungle gank. That being said, putting pirate with a strong harasser like Kat makes the lane a nightmare for most fighting against you, good times

Quote:
Then I’d prioritize Remove Scurvy or Raise Morale based on how team fights are going, or how much CC the enemy has (remember, you gain extra damage and move speed from Raise Morale, which increases Parrrley’s damage, it also acts as a strong buff for allies).

Solcon

12-29-2010

if you dont logout your uncle might just type anything on here!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

TakinTheHeat

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cougar View Post
Now if you're just adding numbers, IE would net a total 338 with Parrley (108 lvl 18 + 80 for IE + 150 lvl 5 Parrley)

Whereas RoA and Lichbane would hit for 418 (108 lv 18 + 80 maxed RoA + 80 Lichbane + 150 lvl 5 Parrley)

Funny enough, Sheen alone hits for 366 (108 lvl 18 + 108 Sheen proc + 150 lvl 5 Parrley)

Granted, going AD does mean you're basic attack hits harder, allowing you to take out towers faster.

Overall with the build it look like an interesting alternative for Gang.

Kicker question now that I think of it. The extra Sheen or Lichbane damage do not get factored when getting a critical correct?
Wrong, it factors in perfectly. @ level 18 that sheen = 250 dmg with IE crit. Trinity force = 375.

xFERx

12-29-2010

mageplank.... lol

TakinTheHeat

12-29-2010

I tried it. I failed hard. Don't lie to people, you haven't done well with this in ranked or normal unless you were vs noobs.

I only lost in the match with rapeplank because my teammates were noobs. I lost in the mageplank match because the build was incompetent.

Now don't get me wrong, if you can get 5 Archangels and a Zhonyas, it is fun if they stand in your ult! oh wait..

Craixis

12-29-2010

Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for somebody else (like, oh, me).
Depends completely how you play, I've been getting mixed results. Then again, I only go this build if we have a strong physical carry and need something a little beefier. He plays different then standard plank.
My last game I did just fine outside of some ping spikes that got me killed (the joys of satellite internet), as seen below.

And there are also other variables that you haven't explained, was any of your teammates feeding? Were you feeding?(from the look of the game, you might've been) Have you played the build more then once? Do you actually know how to play GP outside of crit plank? The list goes on, I wouldn't of posted the build if I didn't have moderate success over a series of consecutive games.