Heart of Gold - Which tanks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2010

Everyone knows it is great for Rammus. I would like to know if anyone has had success using it on other tanks, specifically Allistair and Cho.

Thoughts?

DarkVizard

Banned

01-02-2010

I don't use that thing i usually get Sunfire Cape or Thornmail. The main reason why that thing works great for Rammus because it looks like a turtle's shell, and Rammus is a turtle.

TeeNaku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2010

get it if you are having a slow early game otherwise go for a better build up item out of your ruby crystal or cloth armor and i would say its pretty good for most tanks but i would avoid it on cho

Commodore Frank

Adjudicator

01-03-2010

I like to get Trinity Force on Allistar, so this, chalice, and Mercury Treads are generally my early items to make up for the lack of building a tank item with the MR and armor. If you're building Allistar for a straight tank build, I don't feel it's really necessary. However, I don't really recommend a straight tank build on him, since you have nothing to offer after you stomp/headbutt, and their cooldowns are generally too long to use more than once in a team fight. Allistar hits quite hard with the Trinity Force damage boost after his spells, which really helps with pushing and team fights. This tends to make people actually focus you a bit more, and your ult can more than make up for the lack of heavy tank items.

I don't play a whole lot of Cho'gath, so I couldn't really tell you from experience if it's worth it or not. However, since he has great farming ability already and can gain health from his ult, I think it would be better suited to go for big items earlier instead of fiddling with gold/5 items.

Land

01-03-2010

I use them on malphite to great success. The early HP works well with his passive, and the armor makes him a bit stronger with ground slam.

JunkRamen

01-03-2010

It's also good on Malphite thanks to scaling with both armor and health.

Cho and Ali, not sure. Ali generally wants to get Innervating Locket quickly.

EchoRex

01-04-2010

Alistar it is beneficial on if you can get it early, otherwise his farming is too atrocious to allow any deviation that will adversely affect his CC spam and healing.

I would consider strangling anyone who used it on Cho'gath, his farming ability is second to none, don't waste the effort unless you're just being harassed to literal death.

Malphite it works well on because he is a primary initiator that has two abilities that are increased based on armor or health. Heart of Gold gives both early, so this is a logical choice.

Taric it is sometimes worth taking, if taken early, he sometimes has a difficult time starting out with farming.

TheGreatPikachu

01-06-2010

just practice your last hit skills and gold items like these become useless in a game. LoL already makes it easier since you can't deny stuff, if you played DoTA that is. But other wise its not hard to calculate the timing for you to run in and get that last hit. it just takes alot of practice.

Dreampod

01-06-2010

I find that I generally only find it worthwhile to pick up for Rammus/Malphite or a jungler. I would never choose it over a different +armor or health item on any other tank. Specifically for Alistar, I've always prefered getting Madred's Razor if I need extra armor as it helps offset his terrible farming ability and should almost always net you more gold than a Heart would.

For jungling it is very, very good because it helps maintain your gold income if you leave the jungle for a gank and gives exactly the stats you need to survive creeps early on when your summoner spells are on cooldown at a reasonable cost.

Novendar

01-06-2010

Rammus is not a turtle, he is an armadillo.