Mundo as a Tank

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgepig View Post
How do you feel about Phantom Dancer, Roku? Its significantly more pricey, but gives all that lovely crit and move and dodge, all of which I feel are useful. I'm always executioners calling'ed these days, so I fear for the viability of my lifesteal.
Two shot the person and they can't reapply executioner's. I don't like Phantom Dancer because MS has diminishing returns and I already use ghost with my ult. Attack speed same thing, diminishes pretty hard. The crit is nice, but I like crit runes and elixirs to cover that for me, so I also feel that effect diminishes :S

Hedgepig

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Two shot the person and they can't reapply executioner's. I don't like Phantom Dancer because MS has diminishing returns and I already use ghost with my ult. Attack speed same thing, diminishes pretty hard. The crit is nice, but I like crit runes and elixirs to cover that for me, so I also feel that effect diminishes :S
True, though the calling buff lasts well long enough to totally bone you in a team fight.
I guess Starks gives you armor pen and lifesteal, two things you dont already have, while Dancer gives you just dodge in terms of unique stats.

I dont have a mundo rune page with crit chance for early game, so I've been buying zeal first. It ups my crit a bit early on, since IE takes too long to farm up. By then you are out of the zone where your masochism damage boost really dominates. I can give it a shot with some runes and an elixir to get that early game burst. though. Do you find the lifesteal very noticeable in terms of your durability?

AmPriS

01-06-2010

Quote:
<3 :P

Starks is the main thing. Usually what I go after that depends on who I'm facing. You can go a bloodrazor and be an AMAZING anti-tank if your opponents are tanky, or you can go SotO + IE and just pump out damage. You can two shot people and lifesteal for a ton of regen. On top of merc treads + burning agony you're really hard to cc and you move fast two shotting people, he's an amazing dps carry.

Alternatively, if someone else on your team is going starks, you can just go an executioner's calling in its place. You lose some attack speed but still hit hard.
Roku is right though about grabbing Stark's if you it will be a benefit to your team but as far as contributing to personal effectiveness Executioners calling is better for much less cost. Mundo does a lot better with it especially when you stack crit runes. For attack speed the items with the least personal detriment to mundo are 1) the Last Whisperer because it adds attack damage and lowers their armor giving you stronger crits and 2) Berserker Boots because the alternative boot stats are all defensive but these of course are only an option in certain games where you are not worried about getting CC'ed to death so for more the most part you are getting merc treads on him. I do not like the SotO because it is a snow ball item and they only work well if you can keep advantage and not die at all. My basic build is Doran's shield (may switch to dagger with patch), boots, exec calling, IE/BC/LW depending on situation, and of course green and red elixers. In all honesty the Red Elixer is the most cost effective hit points in the game right now. HP + 20 damage for 300 gold lasts 4 minutes. In actual game terms for 1200 gold 50 more than a giants belt that gives you 475 you would get 16 minutes of red buff, it lasts a lot longer than 4 minutes from purchase because you shouldn't activate it until you start fighting, it is also an instant 300 hp heal.

I am still unsure what Phreak means exactly by attack speed giving diminishing returns. Attack speed is capped at 2.5 and i wasn't aware of some type of soft cap modifier on attack speed. If he means that there is a point where adding additional damage will give you a better gain to killing potential than adding attack speed well, that is true. I wouldn't call that a diminishing return exactly because adding an additional attack speed item didn't lower the amount of attack speed the item provided rather other items would be more of a benefit to the character.

Ivandir

01-06-2010

Quote:
What Roku is saying is that he doesn't like champion powers that have counters which gimp your survivability or damage (i.e Movement speed, Attack speed, Healing Regen). Pretty boss when his main build is crit and crit damage. I am sure there will be items that will lower crit damage pretty soon. At least I hope RIOT introduces them.

Roku I take it you won't even buy spirit visage when it comes out?

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

"he's an amazing dps carry."

^Been saying that forever. MUNDO WANT CARRY TAG, MUNDO THROW CLEAVER AND MAKE YOU DEAD SHLURP.

AmPriS

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak al Maut View Post
"he's an amazing dps carry."

^Been saying that forever. MUNDO WANT CARRY TAG, MUNDO THROW CLEAVER AND MAKE YOU DEAD SHLURP.
I hate to call him a DPS carry because he attacks at Melee range and because of that he is much more vulnerable to harm compared to ranged carries like Trist or Corki who have an escape mechanism. The only real melee carry we have in this game is Master Yi and that is thanks to his ultimate (which also scales better with each lvl of it) that increases his attack speed and movement rate, makes him unsnarable, and refreshes upon a kill. Maybe if Sadism had better gains with each level (increase amount healed) and refreshed if he made a kill that would be great. Like Yi though, Mundo fears getting stunned, and unlike Yi, snares signifcantly affect Mundo's ability to hack at people. It would be nice if Burning Agony + Merc Treads stacked.

Hedgepig

01-06-2010

I believe they do stack, or at least multiply?

MOONDO

01-06-2010

Thank you for all the replies, I have read them and reread all of them. I will scratch mundo tank idea for now, give the dps a try. He is an amazing hero though, love it

Pyroteknik

01-06-2010

For what it's worth, I feel the best way to play Mundo as a tank is to max Burning Agony and get Sunfire Capes. His passive means the Capes give you health regen, which helps counteract the health lost from Agony, and by stacking 2-3 Capes, with Agony, you can do large AoE damage (150+) while still being nearly indestructible.

Now, to be fair, I haven't played this way since I started experimenting with DPS Mundo, starting with maxing Masochism and buying nothing but attack speed. So yeah, I don't actually like this build, but I feel it's the best way to tank with him.