Critical Damage Runes vs Critical Chance Runes

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hvywpnsguy

Senior Member

01-05-2010

I know there has been multiple threads about this before and I am not smart enough to talk about the formulas or the graphs. I just wanted to ask if what I found was correct.

I just played two rounds with gangplank. One was with full critical chance runes and the other one was with full critical damage runes.

Following were the item builds:

Sheen
Haunting Guise
Infinity Edge
Sorc Boots

I noticed that there aren't much of a difference in damage between the two situations except that full critical damage round was harder to pull of a crit parley (obviously)

There were about 100-200 damage difference between the two scenarios.
The critical chance round was much easier to play. I'd say the critical damage runes are not worth it unless you play shaco, tryndamere, or even ashe.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tarion

Senior Member

01-05-2010

The reason you're not finding Crit Dmg useful is that you're not running a Critical chance item build.

Basically, Crit Dmg becomes more useful the higher your chance of crit is. So if your item build is a load of +Crit Chance items, you won't find Crit Chance as effective.

For your build, I suspect Crit Chance is the better option by a -long- way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hewn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvywpnsguy View Post
Sheen
Haunting Guise
Infinity Edge
Sorc Boots
I never understood this build for Gangplank, and think the author of that guide should be shot, or else explain his theory in more detail as to why its better in which brackets and play styles.
Perhaps its good at low levels, but myself being a level 30 with a full page of crit runes, this build is trash for me.


I stack crit damage runes, then build consists of:
Meki Pendant
Boots of Swiftness
Aviarace Blade x2-3 depending how the game is going.
Build infinity.
Build phantoms.

If it lasts longer than that, keep selling blades and buying phantoms/stack more attack damage. Should never last longer.


Crit damage excels by far, playing Gangplank as above.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BILL AND TEDS

Senior Member

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewn View Post
I never understood this build for Gangplank, and think the author of that guide should be shot, or else explain his theory in more detail as to why its better in which brackets and play styles.
Perhaps its good at low levels, but myself being a level 30 with a full page of crit runes, this build is trash for me.


I stack crit damage runes, then build consists of:
Meki Pendant
Boots of Swiftness
Aviarace Blade x2-3 depending how the game is going.
Build infinity.
Build phantoms.

If it lasts longer than that, keep selling blades and buying phantoms/stack more attack damage. Should never last longer.


Crit damage excels by far, playing Gangplank as above.

+100000000000000000000 post points.

Seriously, I don't quite understand this haunting guise fad. It's bad and seems like the only people saying its good are people new to plank anyways.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Great Red Ape

Senior Member

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL AND TEDS EXCELLENT View Post
+100000000000000000000 post points.

Seriously, I don't quite understand this haunting guise fad. It's bad and seems like the only people saying its good are people new to plank anyways.

I WILL say that taking a void staff at some point, as that "guy" put in his guide", really does make it easier to get 1k+ Parrley crits on just about everyone. That with IE and a full crit damage page.

I've been trying something out besides the avarice blade route, since I end up never selling them by end game, for whatever reason, and I think that's a waste.

So:

Meki
2x Cloaks of Agility
Boots-After your first or second cloak, whichever
Infinity Edge
----------------------------------------------------------
Up for grabs depending on what you prefer:
Cloak into Atmas or Phantom Dancer
Frozen Mallet for MOAR hps/ranged slow
Some juicy Bloodthirsters for MOAR damage
Void staff for Magic Pen. for MOAR damage.


My crit chance with 2 cloaks is around 50%, depending on level. Which isn't a for sure parrley crit, but it's high enough to start scaring people in lane, and it's only 1600 gold, around.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wildfire393

Senior Member

01-05-2010

The math works out such that if your critical chance is >30% before Infinity Edge, then Crit Damage is better, otherwise, Crit Chance is better.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hvywpnsguy

Senior Member

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewn View Post
I never understood this build for Gangplank, and think the author of that guide should be shot, or else explain his theory in more detail as to why its better in which brackets and play styles.
Perhaps its good at low levels, but myself being a level 30 with a full page of crit runes, this build is trash for me.


I stack crit damage runes, then build consists of:
Meki Pendant
Boots of Swiftness
Aviarace Blade x2-3 depending how the game is going.
Build infinity.
Build phantoms.

If it lasts longer than that, keep selling blades and buying phantoms/stack more attack damage. Should never last longer.


Crit damage excels by far, playing Gangplank as above.
I should be 'shot'? Thats some harsh words.....
I hope you meant it by 'you have to use parley.'

Yes That build was focusing on the parley shot. You will get more parley damage out of the build I posted than the one you posted since parley is considered as magic damage.

I myself used to go with the build you posted. But if you already has critical chance runes, your parley shot will be better off with my build. However, if you go against 1v1 with another Gangplank, your build will be superior. I like to throw in Haunting Guise because of the magic penetration and cooldown reduction.

That is not a finished build, of course. You would upgrade sheen into Trinity force. If you do, my build will be superior to your build because of added HP bonus and my build will get more parley shots and heals.

Also, if you think I was a low level player, go to my profile.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BILL AND TEDS

Senior Member

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvywpnsguy View Post
I should be 'shot'? Thats some harsh words.....
I hope you meant it by 'you have to use parley.'

Yes That build was focusing on the parley shot. You will get more parley damage out of the build I posted than the one you posted since parley is considered as magic damage.

I myself used to go with the build you posted. But if you already has critical chance runes, your parley shot will be better off with my build. However, if you go against 1v1 with another Gangplank, your build will be superior. I like to throw in Haunting Guise because of the magic penetration and cooldown reduction.

That is not a finished build, of course. You would upgrade sheen into Trinity force. If you do, my build will be superior to your build because of added HP bonus and my build will get more parley shots and heals.

Also, if you think I was a low level player, go to my profile.
He isn't talking about your build, hes talking about heat n serves build which you are using. The build he is listing IS focusing on parrrrley. Ive said before a million times. Crit chance is stupidly easy to obtain in the form of items while crit damage is not, which makes the runes much more attractive. This is not a 1v1 game, no one cares about the numbers of an auto attack fight with parrrrley being shot every time its off cooldown.

Also, if you think I was a low level player, go to the top 500. (which has nothing to do with your argument, and doesn't help to prove a point by "not being a low level")

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff10426 View Post
I WILL say that taking a void staff at some point, as that "guy" put in his guide", really does make it easier to get 1k+ Parrley crits on just about everyone. That with IE and a full crit damage page.

I've been trying something out besides the avarice blade route, since I end up never selling them by end game, for whatever reason, and I think that's a waste.
I can understand void if you have money to burn and they are really stacking the **** outta MR yeah, it's also a huge investment to just take in your build always though.

I will also explain this again. Avarices are purchased because they are extremely cheap and give a **** good crit chance boost which makes up for the lack of an early/mid sheen. What puts them over the top of sheen is the gold per 5. So you have nasty crit damage, get crit chance from avarices, all while being a cheap investment. This will not only help you lane and team fight early game with some nice RNG crits, but they start paying themselves back. Sure you may not get your whole investment back, will you with sheen also? No. Its horrible late game because your crit chance should be skyrocketing and sheen procs which increase base damage ARE NOT ADDED TO PARRRLEY CRIT DAMAGE. Let me say it again. Base damage is NOT added to PARRRRLEY on CRITS. Only non-crit parrrleys.

Also triforce is touted as survivability. In my opinion its an extremely expensive choice for such a poor return. One, the sheen effect is useless late game. Two, you shouldn't need a slow to blow people up with parrrley. So what are you getting out of it? A little more hp than from a ruby crystal? Why not just go Phantom Dancer and Banshees or Guardian Angel? Hell you are probably already going to get Phantom anyways. You made the zeal already. GA or BV is going to give you much much more survivability than triforce.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mpalm

Senior Member

01-06-2010

I'm gonna pick trinity force from now on with Gankplank.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hvywpnsguy

Senior Member

01-06-2010

The main topic of this thread was whether the critical damage runes really make that much difference. It wasn't posted so you guys talk about which item is better.

I merely posted that build so I would maximize the parley damage in a short time. It wasn't meant for anything other than testing out the parley damage exclusively.

I just like Trinity force so much that I use it alot on many dps characters. I even use it on Ashe. I just like having little of everything in that item. Also, I myself have used Avarice build for the longest time but I wanted to do something new.


12