A solution to caster's weakness in pushing towers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FefeOxy

01-04-2010

There was a recent topic (I think by Anony) regarding caster carry's weakness in attacking towers in comparison to dps carries. I think rather than having spells hit towers, which sounds rather awkward, the following item should be available for caster carry to purchase.

Battlemage Amulet

Combined From:
Sage's Ring
Cloak of Agility
Tear of Goddess
+300 gold

Attribute:
+850 mana
+10 mana regen per 5 sec
+20% Critical Strike

UNIQUE passive: Physical attacks deal an additional 5% of your maximum mana in damage.
UNIQUE passive: Physical Attacks increases your maximum mana by 4. This effect has a 3 second cooldown.

There are several reasons to why I based the ability off of mana:

• There are physical dps and tanks that uses AP builds, making certain champions too powerful if it is based upon AP (such as Katarina)
  • Physical dps/tanks rarely needs that much mana, and could benefit from better items.
  • It is stronger for champions with higher base mana (usually champions who are actually casters rather than hybrids)

This item can resolve several misfortunes for caster carries:
  • Tower pushing - this item adds a lot of damage to casters with high mana pool.
  • Jungling - usually caster carries have trouble with jungling because neutral buff creeps have very high hp which requires auto-attack grinding.
  • Waiting for cooldown - the one thing that physical dps take for granted that caster dps do not get is sustained damage. This item allows casters to deal some damage (as well as getting proper odds for critical chance) while waiting for cooldown.

Of course, the item does not come without a price. It does not give any AP. Even with Archangel's staff, you'd only get 17 AP out of it. THe purpose of the item is to provide casters with sustained damage rather than burst ability-based damage. And to reduce flame, I'll just say that it is subject to balance.

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

01-04-2010

5% is pretty ridiculous for mana pool especially on top of something that grows your mana.

Shillen

01-04-2010

If Katarina goes AP build she's just as bad as Anivia at killing a tower. Basing it on mana is ******ed. I also don't think that a caster should have to buy an item specifically for killing towers. Physical dps don't have to do that. There already is a mechanic that makes it so you deal a % of your AP on each attack against buildings. They just need to increase that % by a large margin.

edit: Also, Lizard and golem have negative MR to make it easier for casters to kill them. If you think it's still too hard then just make their MR even more negative.

Drakantus

01-04-2010

Simple 2 step fix:

1- increase tower hp by 25%
2- remove tower immunity to spells

FefeOxy

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
5% is pretty ridiculous for mana pool especially on top of something that grows your mana.
It's a tunable, and the growing mana part can be capped.

renticletape

01-04-2010

So ryze with 2500 mana will now have +125 physical damage. 5% is way too strong. Maybe if the bonus damage was strictly only to non-champion units it might be alright, but other than, thats stronger than atma's or even madreds bloodrazor in terms of % based damage increase.

HideGoSeek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakantus View Post
Simple 2 step fix:

1- increase tower hp by 25%
2- remove tower immunity to spells
Maybe negative spells. I'd hate to see a blood boiled or raise morale tower.

Khashishi

01-04-2010

5% is way overpowered. Atma's is only 2%, and this is sort of a counterpart. It'd be easy for Janna to get an extra 150 damage or so. And since it costs 2835, less than two BF swords, every DPS hero will want one, even if they don't need the mana.

Tiklmesilly

01-04-2010

Singed getting one of these. would give him around 250 hp with his passive, 1000 mana once he got out and attacked a little bit and after you grab a rod of ages 100+ atk.

it is a neat item idea though. i think it would be cool if you just made it an opposite of Atma's Impailor.

Give it magic resist instead of armor same crit as atma's 2% dmg from MP

price it right around the same as atma's i dont think every one will get it but i can think of a few builds it would be nice on.

SamuraiPanda

01-04-2010

I made a suggestion based on this a little while back. Similar to how an upcoming item called Oracle's Hood gives ALL spells a chance of critting, they could make an item that allows spells to hit towers and deal a certain % of the damage. It can easily be balanced by changing the percent dealt to towers as they see fit.

Thats all they have to do.