Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amadi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
In general yes, but I won't please ONE player at the expense of my job. Now, if EVERYONE in the community wanted blind monk, maybe it would be a different story.
If it was not obvious from reading my second sentence, I weren't entirely serious. Actually, I am pretty happy that not all champions get implemented - I believe most of us would be just as happy without Urgot as we are now. Then again, I am not exactly sure what could stop you from telling us why Blind Monk was not implemented - "He was boring" or "We couldn't make him work." are probably not reasons you'd get fired for.

Either you are exaggerating the risk disclosing Blind Monk would put your job at, or then there is something weird involved. With weird I mean.. I am actually not sure what I mean. What could get you fired..? Disclosing future content?

Is Blind Monk coming as our chirstmas present? =O

Quote:
LeBlanc is really good at chasing and finishing, and she's also better against a tanky melee team. She's not as good at reliable sustained dps and she' cant AE stun.
I would argue against this, actually. Annie provides better pushing capabilities, and her disables are better. She also has a better capability to hold a solo and to farm, and through accumulating more AP due to better farming capabilities, she is more able to get Deathfire Grasp, which provides two key things to contribute against tanky champions - Cooldown Reduction for more crowd control and the active, which is obviously good against tanky people, since it scales off their health. Not only this, but through superior farming capabilities, Annie can also get Void Staff faster, allowing her to puncture through magic resistance.

Either way, Anivia would be better than either one of LeBlanc or Annie, given tanky-melee-dps-enemy-team.

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2010

Quote:
The secret cannot get out, sorry. Your satisfaction is not worth my job to me.
Quote:
In general yes, but I won't please ONE player at the expense of my job. Now, if EVERYONE in the community wanted blind monk, maybe it would be a different story.
Hm a challenge I see, well then let the games begin. I said I would champion the cause not that I was the cause..... I'm certainly not the only player who wants Blind Monk, I was even asking for Blind Monk I was just asking why he canceled... Well lets see how this goes my friend. *Salute*

Sylph

Emissary of the League

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadi View Post
I would argue against this, actually. Annie provides better pushing capabilities, and her disables are better. She also has a better capability to hold a solo and to farm, and through accumulating more AP due to better farming capabilities, she is more able to get Deathfire Grasp, which provides two key things to contribute against tanky champions - Cooldown Reduction for more crowd control and the active, which is obviously good against tanky people, since it scales off their health. Not only this, but through superior farming capabilities, Annie can also get Void Staff faster, allowing her to puncture through magic resistance.

Either way, Anivia would be better than either one of LeBlanc or Annie, given tanky-melee-dps-enemy-team.
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Anivia and Annie have much more farming potential, therefore more opportunities for advanced items early on. Interested in hearing more.

Squaligy

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertSockThrow View Post
I only have an issue with complicated/unclear mechanics. If I don't understand it, that means I get to look it up, have an "ah HA!" moment, and have fun using it on someone else. If it's frustrating to play against, I'll find a way to mitigate that. That's what I did in DotA and I was kind of disappointed that there were no secret or hidden things here. (Yeah, I'll go back to DotA when I want to be confused and wondering what's going on, so don't bother telling me to do it.) The greater transparency is awesome, but sometimes I feel like I'm cutting paper with safety scissors, you know?
Some people are very oblivious and don't read. not a bad thing. you shouldn't have to spend time not playing the game and reading to have fun but thats how people get better. I have a friend who is completely oblivious to most game mechanics in LOL but has an awesome time playing it.

KOREAN DAVE

12-08-2010

Quote:
Anti-Combo
This one is bad. This is essentially when one ability you have diminishes the effectiveness of another in a frustrating manner. Some examples:
- Giving a character a 'break-on-damage' CC with a DOT (yes, warlocks have this, but they tuned it to make it not anti-combo much at all)
- With Warriors in WoW -- they need to get rage by taking damage so that they can use abilities and gain threat -- but parry and dodge, which are key to staying alive, make them lose out on critical early fight rage. So, by gearing as a better tank, you become a worse tank in another dimension -- anti combo!
- With old warrior talent trees in WoW, revenge would give you a stun -- but stunned enemies cannot hit you and cause rage gain... So this talent actually reduced your tanking capability a lot in some sense! Anti-combo!
Not to sound like a **** but your points on prot warriors in WoW are completely wrong.

Lord Sturm

12-08-2010

Quote:
It wont be as much in the mid-december patch. We are reducing global XP rewards in general, and giving solo laners an XP penalty (no effect on junglers). We feel this will make double duo lane viable, or closer to it anyway.

But won't giving solo laners an XP penalty only increase the necessity of jungling? If you do that, then fast junglers like Olaf, Warwick and Rammus can possibly out-level solo lane champions, and then ganks from the jungle will be even more powerful. Maybe I'm missing the point of this change, but would you care to explain?

Also, I see solo laning as a necessity not because of the experience gain but because of the farming potential. The way I see it, something has to be done about the potential farm a solo lane can receive before jungling becomes less of a necessity, but that's just my opinion.

Anhi

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph1 View Post
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Anivia and Annie have much more farming potential, therefore more opportunities for advanced items early on. Interested in hearing more.
Anivia and Annie both require a melee core or beefy people to keep them alive. In playing against a beefier team they will need to purchase health items in order to fight as one or two spell rotations won't be enough damage out put against the heal/health of the beef team.

Beefy characters excel at getting away at low health too. Since they are generally equipped with a chasedown/escape, because they are melee, they escape death and deny kills all to often. LeBlanc is great at finishing them. She too is also esquiped with a host of abilites to make those melee's jobs' harder. Her ability to blink in and out of combat range. Splitting herself. Silencing her enemies and snaring low health/escaping champions make her great against them. IN CONTRAST, both anivia and annie have no built in escapes. No abiltiy to chase down. And their true damage is in locking down heroes and busting them while LeBlanc is mobile enough to damage without having to pin her opponent.

ErdoS The Wise

12-08-2010

Is screwing up shaco's jungling by hitting his jitb an example of
"Or We Could **** the Player!!1111oneoneone"

And for this:

- With Warriors in WoW -- they need to get rage by taking damage so that they can use abilities and gain threat -- but parry and dodge, which are key to staying alive, make them lose out on critical early fight rage. So, by gearing as a better tank, you become a worse tank in another dimension -- anti combo!
Couldnt you just say Jax getting thornmail? Its more relatable if it is indeed what you mean

I agree with the unclear optimization the most, and because it is so frequent. As a vlad player, or even an aoe player in general you have to decide whether to blow your aoe ult on some idiot you catch running thru the jungle or on the teamfight that will break out in like 20seconds from now

Lord Oliveira

12-08-2010

Soooo...

New champion designs...

Different mechanics to keep the game fresh and moving forward or more recycled stuff in order to continue making cash off new skins for the new champs?

Daikaze

12-08-2010

Armored Bear > Blind Monk

Hohums and Volibar should duke it out to determine which one is made. (It's gonna be the bear)