Yasuo's archetype, and some questions I'd appreciate to have answered

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AceBlack

11-22-2013

One of the many things I love about Riot are the way the Champion Designers always try to make the champion's kits feel consitent with their archetype. Fiora as an agile, squishy melee ADC. Thresh as a terrifying spectre who can bind you and drag you to your doom. Vayne as a relentless hunter, Talon as an assasin, etc.

He's a samurai archetype, closer to "ronin" to be precise, which I've always thought to be one of the most common yet also one of the most interesting archetypes out there. In game, he seems to be built around being fast, doing tons of damage, and comboing like a Street Fighter addict. Exactly what you expect. But some parts of his iits stick out to me, and I'd love it if a Red could shed light on some of these descisions.

1. Why did you make Wind Wall a moving, (relatively) long-lasting wall? That's an ability more suited to Janna, who uses the wind to defend and heal. I've seen CertainlyT saying he wanted it to feel like cutting a bullet out of the air. Why didn't you just make the ability do just that? Instead of a moving wall, you could've made it an Annie W-shaped skillshot that cut down projectiles mid-air. Was this an engine limitation?

2. His R. I believe CertainlyT stated somewhere that it doesn't make him untargetable? How is that going to look?

3. The biggest thing that stuck out at me. Samurai, and by extension, Ronin, are known for their fearsome 1-on-1 skills. That classic image of two samurai, their swords ready to be drawn, facing each other while being lighted by the light of a setting sun? That's the samurai ideal: single combat, honorable battle between individuals. But you made most of Yasuo's abilities AoE. Not only that, but his one not-AoE skill you just flat out can't use more than once on single targets. Could you shed some light on that as well please?

So TL;DR

1. Why make Wind Wall last so long?

2. What is his R going to look like?

3. Samurai usually like single combat. Yasuo seems to be AoE/teamfight focused. Why?

dekamega2

11-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBlack View Post
3. Samurai usually like single combat. Yasuo seems to be AoE/teamfight focused. Why?
Musashi, the sword saint said in paragraph 34 of The Book of Water of The Five Books.
"You can defeat even ten or twenty enemy with only yourself"

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2013

Just guesses - I'm no Rioter...

If you had a counter missile ability that you had to target the missile with... I think it would be too difficult. It would also have the same issues players of Fiora have with her parry. Being a more long lasting wall allows you to use it successfully easier and more often. Also as a melee carry in a game where melee carries have a hard time getting the job done, this actually can give him the time to get it done, so mechanically it fits.

While samurai are known for their 1v1 skills, they are also known for playing their abilities across the battlefield.

Yasuo gets double crit percentage. This should give him AMAZING 1v1 potential mid to late game as he only needs 2 crit items to have near 100% (or over) crit chance... You think Trynd or Yi hits hard when they have 50% crit chance? Imagine having as much damage with 100% crit chance... Yeah. His passive will give him great 1v1 situations.

His abilities are more about the samurai who is able to cut and move through his opponents. This is as common, or perhaps more common an archetype for samurai to be able to cut down bodies moving through them, performing a dance of death with their katana as they go.

He isn't released yet, I didn't design him and haven't played him yet... But this is sorta what I get from the way his kit is explained. Also a knock up is pretty good in 1v1 as it's nearly the best kind of cc XD

SinHeartlesAngel

11-22-2013

Passive not Bushido

He's not considerd a ronin by riot :/

His R isint harakiri which kills himself why slowing all enemy champs by 20% and cutting there hp by 50% (jk)

Can you make his brother like zatoichi?

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

11-22-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

1. Wind Wall is designed to allow Yasuo to create spaces in which he is invulnerable (to certain abilities at least). I felt this was a healthier direction than Tryndamere's temporal invulnerability (time based). Personally, I don't think this ability would be healthy on a support since they can be flexibly assigned to the place on the map where it will be most powerful with lower consequences. A melee AD carry felt like the perfect spot for the ability in our game since they are fragile and rely on active defenses.

2. Much blood so slash

Yasuo's Q and EQ AOEs are on the smaller side and he tends to focus on damaging individuals within fights (compared to Ziggs for example). One of the reason why his abilities are AOE is so that they can be dodged. Think about LeBlanc's Distortion. It's used as an AOE for farming, but in champion combat, she is generally concerned with hitting a single individual.

One of our goals with Yasuo is to integrate melee carries (I call them "light fighters") into the group fight phase of the game. As Tryndamere, I tend to feel more at home split pushing. As Yasuo, I want to be with my team most of the time.

Pulsative

11-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyDoge View Post
2. Much blood so slash
Wow, very descriptive, such answer. Wow.

blah12321blah

11-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBlack View Post

When the whole nation is hunting you down it might be wise to adapt to the situation.

Harosama

11-22-2013

Samurai are FAMOS for the single combat, but that's with ANOTHER SAMURAI. Samurai are elite fighters, not basic soldiers. Putting a Samurai into a crowd of fighters they will stomp the group (minions) but against another elite )champions) They focus on the 1v1 style. However when forced to fight multiple skilled enemies (a ninja tactic, less common for samurai to fight on unfair terms) they are still prepared and very capable.

Happy Firetrucks

11-22-2013

I think someone has a wrong definition of the word "archetype".
Isn't his archetype pathetic boring human?

OldDirtay

11-22-2013

new champs but here im fighting gold silver and plats in one game...as a bronze....

priorities op