[Guide] Katarina - Build/Tactics Top Tier

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Furor

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shido View Post
Do you find Heart of Gold necessary? I usually go with a Frozen Mallet after a Bloodthirster and I find that sustains my life.
That sounds awfully late in the game to be getting survival items. Survival is important early, because without it, you run the risk of getting behind in levels by deaths or harassment. The first Heart of Gold more than pays for itself in terms of survival increase and gold input, not to mention the sell price late (if you ever get to that point, I usually don't). It increases, specifically, the rate of survival while tower diving, which is often necessary to get kills in an early game. Unless, of course, the other team is feeding. I refuse to go into hypothetical situations that involve sub-par games. Call me elitist if you want, but getting fed says nothing of your skill level or the effectiveness of a build.

As for necessary? For my purposes, 95% of the time, yes. Health, Armor, Gold/per 5 for relatively cheap.

SG GodFlow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-21-2009

Mmkay, I think I'll try it later on, thanks. I always just wanted to rush the BF Sword first because I find her Death Lotus's output sub-par without damage items.

Furor

12-21-2009

Quote:
Mmkay, I think I'll try it later on, thanks. I always just wanted to rush the BF Sword first because I find her Death Lotus's output sub-par without damage items.
Go Ignite + Imp. Rally, at level 6 jump on a half-health target, pop both and death lotus and watch them melt.

Rushing B.F. Sword just invites focus-fire from competent enemies. It's not like Kat has high health-per-level values. She's just as squishy as Twitch (disregarding range/stealth advantage) without items to supplement.

Magnious

12-21-2009

you mention crit runes as a viable choice. How does crit chance affect Kat other than her melee auto attack? Is magical dmg able to crit? Does death lotus crit?

Furor

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnious View Post
you mention crit runes as a viable choice. How does crit chance affect Kat other than her melee auto attack? Is magical dmg able to crit? Does death lotus crit?
It's viable in that it provides a slightly greater boost in damage in a LONG game. However, Magic Pen is better early game.

I'm a large proponent of the philosophy that "early game success = wins" so I focus more on early game and getting ahead, then cementing that initial advantage over the course of mid-game, so that late-game rarely ever happens.

So, the question is: do your games run long? Do you usually have a chance to make 2-3 end-game items? If so, you can consider Crit and CD reduction runes instead of magic pen.

Crit only effects auto-attacks (except for rare exceptions like Parrrrley!). Late game, you can get 300+ attack damage without too much trouble. So if you have 8% more crit, it starts to be worth more (especially in tandem with life-steal) at that point than a mere 14 magic penetration.

Magnious

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furor View Post
It's viable in that it provides a slightly greater boost in damage in a LONG game. However, Magic Pen is better early game.

I'm a large proponent of the philosophy that "early game success = wins" so I focus more on early game and getting ahead, then cementing that initial advantage over the course of mid-game, so that late-game rarely ever happens.

So, the question is: do your games run long? Do you usually have a chance to make 2-3 end-game items? If so, you can consider Crit and CD reduction runes instead of magic pen.

Crit only effects auto-attacks (except for rare exceptions like Parrrrley!). Late game, you can get 300+ attack damage without too much trouble. So if you have 8% more crit, it starts to be worth more (especially in tandem with life-steal) at that point than a mere 14 magic penetration.

Understood. I guess I should phrase my question as:

Are you auto attacking enough to make any type of extra crit worth while? Based on your guide, your rarely auto attacking unless its last hitting, i.e. your bulk dmg is from abilities. If this is the case, magic pen is hands down the way to go, in tandem with your early game importance no?

Furor

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnious View Post
Understood. I guess I should phrase my question as:

Are you auto attacking enough to make any type of extra crit worth while? Based on your guide, your rarely auto attacking unless its last hitting, i.e. your bulk dmg is from abilities. If this is the case, magic pen is hands down the way to go, in tandem with your early game importance no?
For me, I use Magic Pen. My games rarely go above 35 minutes, so end-game items don't materialize often enough to warrant the crit. But I reiterate, if your games do last long, crit is pretty good. Games aren't always predictable. You just need to find out what works best for what types of games you play.

taconight

12-21-2009

hey thank you for the guide, i ran a ton of practice games and started some regular solo que games and am gonna start pre-mades soon.

here is a screenshot of my second game in solo que. my first one i went 6/0/8 this was 18/3/18

we won both which is my biggest thing and i wanted to make sure i was building correctly as the item build kinda confused me.

in the last game i played with the high score i solo'd mid against a nunu and soraka, and got two early kills. around level 6 i farmed and lane supported back and forth. towards the end i used rally at big fights after the fighting was initiated and it was safe to jump in with ultimate.

here is the screeny. comments on item build? i went with doran's shield, healthpot. i then went boots, bf+sorc shoes, then bf, then bloodthirster, infinity.

MiCrOwAvEz

12-21-2009

Hi Furor,
I'm a nearly exclusive Kat player who loves to solo mid and relishes the challenge of taking down Ashe/Twitch/Teemo and uses nearly this exact build that you outlined in another thread where several people were bashing Katarina for being useless in higher level games.

Thanks for putting this guide out as I usually run Ghost (has got me soooo many ninja towerdive->escape kills in the solo mid lane and got many escaping enemies late game also) and cleanse (used to be awesome, now not as great and TBH don't use it that much in games) and can't wait to try out Ignite/Rally.

Every game I get a more fluid control of katarina and hopefully I'll be the highest ranked Kat player sometime in the future

Quote:
Do you find Heart of Gold necessary? I usually go with a Frozen Mallet after a Bloodthirster and I find that sustains my life.
Extremely necessary, all things equal you will lose if the other player is spending more money than you especially early game unless you have a huge skill advantage over them.

You need the early items so that you can afford to be as aggressive as possible and deny the other player gold etc. If you "save" money by skipping those items you will lose them in creep kills due to the other guy more easliy dominating the creep waves.

Quote:
here is the screeny. comments on item build? i went with doran's shield, healthpot. i then went boots, bf+sorc shoes, then bf, then bloodthirster, infinity.
Imo you should only run bloodthirsters as they provide more damage when filled and are much cheaper, what's with the AP tome? Was that for the staff?

The awesome thing about 2 hearts of gold before the swords (totally depends on how well you're doing, if it's too late in the game you kinda have to give up and go for the swords) is that you have enough HP/armor to not waste money on getting giant belt/warmogs unless you're getting really nailed.

Just my 2c.

Furor

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by taconight View Post
we won both which is my biggest thing and i wanted to make sure i was building correctly as the item build kinda confused me.
Yeah, the way I have it set up now is a little confusing. It's mainly because if I put up ALL the build options I use, that section of the guide would be pretty long (and maybe even more confusing). I change my build and tweak it depending on how the game is going. Sometimes I won't buy the 2nd tier survival items until later, and get a B.F. right after Heart of Gold, for instance. I tried to keep it relatively simple, while giving a few pointers later on to consider.

Quote:
It sounds like you did really well in the beginning, so for the most part, you probably followed the flow of the game as it felt to you. I stated it in my guide, but reiterate here: what I posted is not the 100% end-all be-all build, and you should only use it as a guideline or template based on the overall flow of the game. Some games will be faster or slower than normal, some games you won't get to farm as much as you want. The key is to have a balance in offense and defense, and to take advantage of how the game has played out.

So, if you're stomping the other team and not in much risk of death, you can continue buying up offensive power. However, if you're being pressured, or killed, then you need to put on more survival items.

Now, as to that specific build.. it looks like you got a Heart of Gold and didn't mention it. I assume you got it early, which is what I recommend. So other than that, it looks okay to me. The one thing I'd say is that the Tome isn't necessary. If you're going to spend some gold like that, you might as well buy an Elixir of Fortitude. I assume that was meant to be built into a Void Staff, which can be useful at that point.

Also, generally speaking, 2 Bloodthirsters will outperform 1 BT and 1 IE. If you want the IE, you should probably throw it in as your 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCrOwAvEz
Every game I get a more fluid control of katarina and hopefully I'll be the highest ranked Kat player sometime in the future
No. I shall never be replaced or dethroned.