How's Riven mid? (as a counterpick)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mrstealurcookies

10-03-2013

I used to play riven mid on my main til i hit plat and i couldn't find people ballzy enough to give me a kill or stay long enough in lane for me to get that snowball effect...

Riven mid is good either way... VS a majority of Mid Assassin that wreck most AP mids... her strong early game plus her decent survivability/sustain makes her a great choice... but she is terrible vs sustain laners...or passive lane farmers... she will just end up falling off mid-late game when she needs the kills/items to carry...Also playing riven mid would normally mean you need to play her pretty squishy overall if you're taking the AP's place, if you have a AP top then im sure a decent team will keep lane swaping and you'd eventually get killed by a 2v1 or 3v1 while lane swapping.

So all in all pick Riven mid VS most Assassin mids for example : Akali, Fizz, Kass (you should their rape face)
Some champs to avoid with Riven mid are : Anvia, Annie, Kennen, Lux, liss, teemo, zyra (you shouldn't beat any of them if they're half decent)

So in other words pick Riven vs Mid's that require them to get close to engage on you or close to get CS....avoid using her when they can farm easily from a distance and poke safely on you.

stoutcarrot

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe LG View Post
Riven mid was picked by Faker in the group stages on the World Championship. I'd say if one of, if not the best mid player in the world will play Riven mid as a counterpick (In those games he counterpicked Zed) then I'd say it is viable. However you probably wont be as successful as Faker, and it will probably take a lot of practice to be good at.
I'm also playing against Bronze/unranked thru Gold elos mostly in blind pick, so I don't have to be as good as Faker to win lane. Just sayin

stoutcarrot

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chrome View Post

If you're looking at a team composition and how she's going to use the middle lane to help her team - she's not that great.
Well the point isn't that she isn't great in team fights. If she can win mid lane and roam it puts a lot of pressure on the other lanes. Riven has very strong ganks, and would be a viable jungler if not for the lack of gold in the season 3 jungle.

CerealBoxOfDoom

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutcarrot View Post
Well the point isn't that she isn't great in team fights. If she can win mid lane and roam it puts a lot of pressure on the other lanes. Riven has very strong ganks, and would be a viable jungler if not for the lack of gold in the season 3 jungle.
Riven is great in teamfights if surviving isn't a priority :P

OGBalrog

10-03-2013

IMO she makes a better mid than a top, that way you can build her glass like she's best and your team can still have a bruiser top.

Also she has no sustain, ideal for mid because of the shorter lane.

stoutcarrot

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGBalrog View Post
IMO she makes a better mid than a top, that way you can build her glass like she's best and your team can still have a bruiser top.

Also she has no sustain, ideal for mid because of the shorter lane.
True but she's one of those champions that can 2v1 top and jungler (with a little skill) if she wins lane. Most Rivens try to win early when they snowball because she's really not great in late game team fights. As a mid laner you really can't take the inner tower by yourself unless you and your lanes are fed as ****.

kavinh the third

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2013

she basically destroys most melee mids and the short lane distance doesn't really matter that much when u can deny them off the lane for most of the matchup. Only problem might be junglers camping you. Fizz might be able to break even against riven if he runs dorian shield and goes for 13 defensive mastery but that puts him really far behind.
i don't think there are that many range casters that she'd be good against but if u max her e first she can soak up quite a bit of damage so the enemy would have problem killing her right off the bat.

Frightning

10-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavinh the third View Post
she basically destroys most melee mids and the short lane distance doesn't really matter that much when u can deny them off the lane for most of the matchup. Only problem might be junglers camping you. Fizz might be able to break even against riven if he runs dorian shield and goes for 13 defensive mastery but that puts him really far behind.
i don't think there are that many range casters that she'd be good against but if u max her e first she can soak up quite a bit of damage so the enemy would have problem killing her right off the bat.
I found myself against a solo top Kassadin as Riven once, that was quite a stalemate. His mobility post-6 ensured I could never all-in him. But because I was smart and thought about what his game plan for the matchup would be, I made sure he could never get me low enough to kill me. I maxed E first against him so that I could negate the damage of his Null Sphere EVERY time he used it, and it worked brilliantly.