Concerning the Thresh Tweak

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xaviertrix

09-30-2013

Hi Riot, I'm Xaviertrix and I enjoy playing Thresh top when the game gets too stressful - it's quite fun and quite relaxing, I'd like to add.

What I was wondering is that in the patch notes for 3.12, I stumbled upon this somewhat-concerning quote:

Quote:
Thresh no longer gains mounting bonus magic damage in between chained auto attacks he'll need to deliberately stop attacking in order for it to start "winding up" again.
While it is almost clear that he keeps the bonus 1:1 magic damage on-hit from soul collecting (thus losing the 200% winding AD scaling through constant auto'ing), I figured I'd check, just in case.

Because a thing like this, while a near-irrelevant change for the majority who play Thresh as a support, would completely destroy his ability to be played anywhere else. If someone could just pop in for a moment and confirm that my dreams aren't shattering, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

What is a Name

09-30-2013

It just means you have to wait for a sec before you can use the passive damage again

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

09-30-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Correct, the magic damage based on souls is unchanged. However, the AD based growing damage over time does not begin growing until your basic attack is available again.

FalconPawwwwnch

09-30-2013

Posting below a red

Splitpushing

09-30-2013

posting 2nd from a red

Splitpushing

09-30-2013

oh man i got 3rd spot from red too this has made my day

gsai

09-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Correct, the magic damage based on souls is unchanged. However, the AD based growing damage over time does not begin growing until your basic attack is available again.
So say Thresh is auto attacking continuously, you will no longer get the minor damage on-hit?

GG ADC Thresh now literally has no point. (not that I really care)

Worldwyrm

09-30-2013

The time between each autoattack WAS counted as charge time for flay's passive damage.

Also, ADC thresh can still dish out a strong hit every so often, and if the base damage based on souls still applies on each hit, he's just a bit less broken than he was before.

EDIT: Aaaand the post I replied to is gone.

Xaviertrix

09-30-2013

Ah, thank you kindly, T.

Concerning the bonus damage that was removed, in addition to dealing the number of his souls as on-hit magic damage, Death sentence grants up to 200% AD as magic damage on-hit on the first attack after about ten seconds of not attacking a non-structure (which sounds about as confusing as it is).

Essentially, if you waited 10 seconds, you'd do Tons of Damage (on top of soul damage) on your next attack. The issue was that thresh was getting the first ~1 second out of this 10 due to his miserable attack speed early on (when right clicking and constantly auto'ing a target), dropping on some 5+ on-hit damage a pop. The fix essentially removes this, and the extra 200% AD scaling doesn't start to stack up until you intentionally stop autoattacking something.

TL;DR - Won't affect us, will probably destroy his pro viability for some menial reason.

A Lhurgoyf

09-30-2013

Not to derail the thread (I was confused as to the wording myself and at least now it's been made more clear), but does anyone else feel like this is Riot attacking elements of Thresh's kit to make him functionally weaker while completely ignoring the aspect of his kit that makes him a priority ban?

You can cycle around his damage passive, you can nerf his early armor gains, and you can take away some of his extended damage, but at the end of the day until you reduce the tether range on his lantern after being thrown, he's still going to be a priority ban in almost every level of ranked queues. And that's not even to say I want Thresh nerfed, I love Thresh! But I also acknowledge that this "approach" Riot has taken in their attempts to "balance" him is not going to end until he's got no base stats left and his skills all cost half his mana to use.