Garen visual update detected?!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

09-06-2013
16 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odenmaru View Post
Oh hey, glad I caught you IronStylus.

I have a question that hopefully you see/will be willing to answer.

Is Ezreal considered a low-risk visual upgrade? And if so, is he decently placed on the list of who goes next?
He's nowhere on the list, but he's fairly simple in certain regards. Would be a lot of particle support right now, and it'd be cool if he felt a little more Piltover, but he's not on the priority list.

Sanderpower

09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by InubashiriMomiji View Post
I maintain that the most surprising thing about this update is the difference in style between this iteration of Garen and the Garen that has appeared in so much promotional art, from the long battle pieces to the cinematic. The new Garen VU isn't animated badly in any way, but stylistically it's not what people were expecting from an upgrade, especially considering how much Riot has been setting up this image of straight-standing, striding, Garen, as opposed to this lumbering Garen.

It should be no surprise that this version is being met with surprise considering the bait-and-switch.

I've played around a thousand Garen games (season 2 plus season 3) and I have to say that when I saw that VU I squealed like a fanboy lol. Sure the hair is a bit off and so is Rugged Garen, but in general the VU looks AWESOME. I mean Steel Legion Garen was badass before, but now look at it..
*drools*

Kcugi

09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Right next to me, Grumpy Monkey is making adjustments to his shoulder pad. There needs to be a "shoulder pad" of some sort due to weighting issues and some model deformation during certain movements. But the current pad is being downsized and recolored to match the jacket. Like a leather pad.
Weight should not be a problem, if he would have that "huge" shoulderpad on his left shoulder, and swinging this huge sword with righ hand. I didn't saw model deformations on old Rugged Garen.

Now the technology you do skins is better quality I assume, so why does now a problem with one shoulderpad? It was epic before, give it back T_T

PS: Yay, mine first red responce, and from Mr. Parrot! yay ~<3

Vortex IV

Recruiter

09-06-2013

I guess my simple question is too hard to read/reply to.

Will Garen's desert trooper skin become available again for any period during the relaunch? Same question with Sivir's spectacular skin.

Kcugi

09-06-2013

Quote:
He's nowhere on the list, but he's fairly simple in certain regards. Would be a lot of particle support right now, and it'd be cool if he felt a little more Piltover, but he's not on the priority list.
Wait, what..? Isn't Ez an Demacian explorer? Why Piltover, don't do it.

Also, can we expect some Mount Targon even in the future, and if yes. Can I expect an Alistar VU?
Basing on his lore, his Tribe was living near Mount Targon, so it would fit thematically.
Some new Tribal Alistar skin (from the times when he was a village cheef) would be EPIC too.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

09-06-2013
17 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderpower View Post
Iron Stylus I really appreciate you talking to the community like this and keeping us updated. Means a lot
No problem.

I will maintain that this VU has been executed masterfully, and when you get your hands on him, you'll feel how much more substantial he is, and how better he feels in terms of being integrated into the game's evolving style.

Big choices were made. Stylistic changes happened, but we feel this is in-line. Why? Not because we're building it and plugging it in, it's because teams of people have developed these characters and experienced them full hand as we're creating them. They've been a part of this evolution. Everyone at Riot has a hand in creation. We're players, we have the minds of players, we act upon what we, as players, would want to see.

When we create, teams at large have access to the playtests, the assets, art, etc. Visibility is key at Riot. We would not feel confident about these choices if those around us felt otherwise.

Loc J Leno

09-06-2013

Why do all of Garen's skins look pretty much the same now, Parrot?

XNinjaFuHiya

09-06-2013

Quote:
I'm not sure. It's a DudeBro question. However, there's a bit of a policy not to overdo particle effects on certain old recolors due to feature creep. We could go nuts, but that might devalue or inflate value of already static stuff. The technicalities and economics are way beyond my knowledge in terms of specifics, but we generally don't like to go too banana's with particle effects in older skins.

Again, general rule, rule of thumb, it can change depending on skins but that's our general sentiment.
If enough people would be positive about getting some recolors of the abilities would that be ok? It could be as simple as Leprechaun Veigar's Dark Matter's trail being rainbow or his Event Horizon's Clovers as an example. I'm not asking for completely redone effects, but just simple color adjustments. Perhaps a simpler example would be Shyvana's default flame being changed to different colors in her alternate skins like Darkflame Shyvana or Ice Drake Shyvana.

Risemix

09-06-2013

Hey IronStylus. I was wondering what you think of Lux's model. Personally I think it's one of the worst offenders in the "low-priority" category of models and is very very poorly done... the texture, the model, everything is just awful. I use Lux skins to escape it.

I mean no disrespect btw to whoever worked on it, it's just old and outdated, and looks poor even next to Swain who was released a patch before her.

Any thoughts?

Kcugi

09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
Hey IronStylus. I was wondering what you think of Lux's model. Personally I think it's one of the worst offenders in the "low-priority" category of models and is very very poorly done... the texture, the model, everything is just awful. I use Lux skins to escape it.

I mean no disrespect btw to whoever worked on it, it's just old and outdated, and looks poor even next to Swain who was released a patch before her.

Any thoughts?
Lux model is fine. Ever seen Xin hands or Taric overall? Yep, they need it.