@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delta Sniper

08-19-2013

You need to give the toxic players a rational reason why they are over reacting, For example after a loss say, Did you know the enemy Fiora has an 80% win rate with Fiora. This is a sample of rationalizing a reason they might have lost. or a better one, "Did you know the enemy team pinged 135 more times then your team." stating they had more communication then your team.

Th0ughtSheslvl18

08-19-2013

Hello all,

PLEASE READ

Today i played a game or ARAM and rolled Kha Zix. During this game a player on my team said he would skull Fu** my fallen brothers from the Military. I served my time in the United States Marine Corps and lost many friends one right in my arms. For my country to be disgraced like this is uncalled for. My team along with the opposing team all reported him but as most players know, the tribunal does nothing to correct this behavior. I do not want this to go unnoticed as i took major offense. I wish someone would take some action on this. His name in game is conan31 he played as twisted fate in our game.

Players like this do not deserve an account.

Thank you for your time

Derzarn

08-19-2013

So as an idea for the champion: Wukong There should be a legendary skin called King Kong and be a big monkey

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2013

Have you considered removing the lock in button in normals? Normals aren't as long in terms of championselect times as draft mode because everybody picks at the same time. It would take away one reason that people give for why they aren't playing as a team ("too late, I already locked my champion in"). They can of course feign ignorance like they always have, or realize that have no way to justify their actions.

The ADC

08-20-2013

Lyte, I'm rather interested in this area of expertise. I'd like to know what requirements would a gaming company look for to hire someone like you? What degree field did you specialize in? Do you hold multiple degrees? If so, which ones?

Any advice is appreciated here, I see this field expanding quite a bit in the coming decades and would love to be a part of it.

The Onix Mage

08-21-2013

Heya Lyte.

I've been looking at your posts and commentary on newsoflegend.com in terms of player behavior and the tributal. It's great to see you're hard at work with it.

I noticed that you'tr trying to figure out how to propertly handle smurfing.Personally, I feel smurfing is best used in a way to help new players get better (basically, become a small mentor so as to help give advice on players and helping them improve. If it's possible to take this direction, then the best possible way is to give the main account an option to create a 'miniture' summoner name so as to play and help other players get better. It'd be like previous smurfing, but with the miniture account connected to the main account. This could help players helping new players get better as well as playing with their friends without the need of constantly making an account and building up all the clutter.

td;lr - Make an option where players could make a minature summoner name on their main accounts and have it connected to one another.

I also read that you want to hear what sportsman-like players have to say/want. I can't speak for everysingle person, but for me [least, I feel like I'm a pretty good sportsman], I just want recognition for how I handled the situation. You know, just a friendly message of 'hey, you did a good job handling that toxic player' or something. Or maybe just a thread showing 'Positive players of the month.' I get commentary and negative feedback from players and toxics alike, and it gets really stressful (despite how much of a smile I try to put up). They say 'dude wtf. Stop feeding and being a noob.' I'm like 'well if you don't want me to play bad, how about some orders and advice?' and at the end, the 20% of people would give you legit advice/orders on how to do better, while the 60% would just either complain more or just say 'uninstall. That's the best advice I can give you.' Acknowledgement from Riot on how well I handled the situation would be nice once and awhile. It'll at least make me feel like I'm not being nice for nothing lol

I have a few questions to ask you

1) I remember you did some changes to how easier/difficult it is to get certain honors(easier to get Honorable, harder to get Teamwork, etc.). How are they looking now in terms of stats?

2)What Lanes/roles seem to develop the most/least Toxic players

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-25-2013
85 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameramorgan View Post
Nice to see you're still attempting to solve symptoms rather than the problem.

What really needs to be done is that you guys need to get off your wallets, shell out some money for mods, and do away with the tribunal system. It's broken and doesn't work. Given the fact that trolls are abundant in this community it seems pretty illogical to allow them to police the community's behavior. I'd go as far as saying that the average league player is an a-hole. *See edit At best that their behavior towards people they don't know is indifferent, rude, and unconscionable. So, the fact that you allow the very same people to determine whether someone's behavior is out of line is pretty irresponsible, I'd say.

I applaud the effort, but the way I see it; this new feature is going to cause more problems than it solves. Get off your butts and quit pawning off the work of policing this community riot.

Edit:
Okay, saying the average LoL player is an a-hole is prob a bit too much. But, I would say that the majority of matches I've been in had a troll, rager, rage-quitter, rage provoker, internet tough guy, or other players around encouraging that kind of bahavior when they weren't the one exhibiting it.
Going by your anecdote, if a large number of your games have at least 1 rager, troll or rage-quitter, you are still seeing up to 9 other players in the game that are neutral or sportsmanlike. This is the data that we see as well, which suggests that a vast majority of the community is pretty awesome.

To clear up some misconceptions, systems like the Tribunal are moderated. In fact, the more severe punishments are always reviewed by Player Support staff. The cases that tend to be close in voting also get double checked by staff. Right now, up to 74% of players that are punished by the Tribunal improve their behaviors and don't return to the Tribunal. Although the system isn't perfect, it does a decent job.

Lyte

08-25-2013
86 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
Have you considered doing a feature with the LCS players about toxicity, or having pro gamers release PSAs in general? We have a lot of pros who are loved by a large portion of the community, yet whose behaviour isn't the most admirable. If they were to come out in favour of being sportsmanlike maybe it could enact a change in the behaviour of their viewerbase. I saw the machinima vs short about Ocelote's rage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5wx_tOtFos) and the frankness with which he talked about his past toxicity was really effective in demonstrating that we don't all have to be angels, we just have to not be toxic in game. I think that even the most neutral LCS players can make that endorsement.
We worked with Machinima and Ocelote on that piece, and are definitely interested in more pieces like that in the future. If you noticed recently, we also released a bunch of videos teaching positions of the game by the Korean OGN Pros. Check it out if you haven't seen them!

Lyte

08-25-2013
87 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieshwa View Post
How do you feel about premades? Are there more reports for games with 3-4 man premades?

Personally I have found that 3-4 premades are quite aggressive, probably because they think their friends "have their backs"
When we were doing research on Champion Select, we did notice that certain combinations of premades were more toxic than others. We're figuring out ways to incorporate this research into our Champion Select solution, to hopefully prevent a lot of the bad behaviors from premades.

Lyte

08-25-2013
88 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomsumer View Post
Was going to stop posting as you guys are doing great, but just thought of something that might be easy and is pretty logical if feasible to implement.

At end where one would award honor, as people tend not to have perfect memories, a scrollable recap of in game text. Would assist as a tool to easily remember who were positive for those occasions when you forget the names of who said what but don't want to report or honor the wrong person.

Just a thought.
Thx again for making the game more enjoyable.
Hm, we're definitely interested in making Honor more visible and easier to use.