Alister: The mobile, indestructible health fountain

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necrax

12-16-2009

very nice and informative thread. also, good to know i've not been far off of what is considered feasible for alistar.

i can't forgo frozen heart as my main mid/late game item though, no matter what. it just doesn't feel as well when i do.

i very often skip sheen and things still work out fine. chalice, boots, glacial -> frozen heart remain my core items and play him just like quick and nico...a kill preparation servant for who ever does enough damage to finish off what i serve.

i can't see how warmoggs and FoN fit in though. i've never considered getting it and probably won't anytime soon. when i need additional defense i go straight for a banshee's veil after frozen heart.

opposed to other i really love -cd on alistar. more disables and kill servers is exactly what i want so i can't see how -cd is a bad choice on him.

GnomeChomsky

12-16-2009

What do you guys think about Sunfire? I usually don't get Chalice... but it's mostly because I run a lot of MP/5 runes with Clarity/Ghost. Doing this gets me to my Sheen a lot quicker. It's nastier the earlier you get it. I'm going to test out Chalice with Ghost/Cleanse more though... it does seem to be the standard and who can argue with the silliness that is Cleanse. I also keep Roar at level 1 to help with mana early and mid game as well... because with Sheen's 25 AP bonus level 1 Roar is more efficient than level 2 Roar and you can always spam it anyways as creeps are dying.

Anyways - Sheen is a must... but after that I like to go Sunfire because it stacks armor, hp, and (critically) helps a ton with farming. If the game drags on for too long Alistar can get frustrating due to horrific farm totals (ranking Pulverise instead of Headbutt first also helps with farming, as well as giving you better turret defense for early laning).

I don't always go Sunfire though... but it is really effective when the enemy is heavy on physical DPS (because it has both armor and health). Even if you prefer other builds, I do think it's worth considering in that situation.

Renmei

12-16-2009

So what's the final word on purchase order? I'm a noob, only level 6 and stuck solo queuing, but I really like this play style very much. Heals and assists. For someone in my situation, what's the best purchase order? Is it Chalice -> Tabi -> Sheen? Then what?

Here is my current build;

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...arry-feeder-25

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2009

i'll make a guide outlining viable Alistar builds, since im home ill today. look for it shortly.

Renmei

12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
i'll make a guide outlining viable Alistar builds, since im home ill today. look for it shortly.
Thanks! I look forward to it.

I have another question. I tend to have low kill and assist counts (as Alistar). If I knock someone back, and they die (regardless of how), do I get the assist? Assuming that's the only damage I did.

It seems like, as Alistar, it's unfair to gauge how much you contributed by the numbers in the end. Is that true? A lot of the help I do is from a timely stun, heal spam, knock backs... Things that don't show up on the scoreboard.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2009

ya, ive had negative scores with alistar quite a bit, and still did an amazing job for my team. You typically get a assist for any damage you do, whether it be through a pulverize or a headbutt. note that pulverize damage is not dealt until they land, so sometimes you dont get an assist if they die while in the air.

Some of my last few games though were 9/0/12 5/0/15 etc. you end up getting tons of assists if you play smart, and if you have a decent team, you wont die much.

My guide is up.. Let me know what you think. I've never done one before, but feel I can offer a bit of advice to playing Alistar.

Slide

12-17-2009

Ok first off, addressing Warmoggs and FoN.

FoN is simple. Caster heavy team will completely misjudge just how much magic damage you can take and allows you to be setting up in the middle of 5 man team fights. It exhausts the other teams spells on you, and keeps you alive. When I face 3 plus casters on a team, ESPECIALLY if one is doing well, I go FoN after the core 3. I feel that against the appropriate opponents, nothing lets you continue doing your job better then FoN.

Warmoggs is the same, but more broad. The massive health boost is sometimes very necessary. Regen, massive health and spamming heals allows you to be the focus of 5 people (when you initiate) for an obscene amount of time. Add in your ult and cleanse (and id imagine the new cleanse now) and you can have them pretty much all dead before you hit 50% hp. Dont knock it, it works. It may not be the best for every situation, but its a **** solid choice once you have your core 3.

Aside from that, Ill be looking for your guide nicosharp.

nicosharp

12-17-2009

Nice, I can log in again! I am trying to make my guide an all-inclusive view on ways to play Alistar, and the benefits for going certain routes over others. So your suggestions will somehow make it into my first two posts.
After a few games yesterday, I see HP Regen as sometimes a problem, but still don't buy that FON or Warmoggs is a solution. Now they are nerfing the HP benefits, armor and magic resist of all items. So, if you are going for regen, it might be better to take another point in roar next, and get some AP/Mana Regen to support Roar spam. Overtime, Roar heals much more than the regen overtime, if you use it on cooldown.

Link to my 'guide':
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=36784