so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axelios

Senior Member

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Go home, Dr Strangelove. You're drunk!
Shhh


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ultra CHEZ

Senior Member

08-14-2013

My gosh. I love the gaming industry so much, and it's my dream to work within it. I'm about to start my first year of college as a Computer Science major, but I already feel like I'm behind because I'm not a child prodigy that's made 3 top selling iOS apps and 2 beloved indie titles while running a successful gaming blog and making mods on the weekends.

How do I calm down and remind myself that the people that make the games I love are mortal too, and if I work hard I can make it without being a genius nor having a pact with the powers of darkness?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-14-2013

Hey Chezai,

A while back when Riot had open forum recruitment, I've expressed my interest in helping Riot make tutorials (specifically for the Dominion map mode but willing to do it for the others). I had an epiphany that unless Riot makes an official tutorial for Dominion, people will still be clueless on how to play the map or the basic map mechanics, also the official Dominion website was horribly outdated at the time. Morello gave a reply to my post and that spurred me one to create my own tutorial for Dominion (written and video): http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3245561 (I'll have to update it again since BFT was changed)

This past month in the GD forums, people have been mentioning that the SR tutorial is outdated/doesn't do it's job, such as there is no mentioning of the importance of last hitting. This sparked my interest to try and reach out to Riot again on making tutorials for their map modes.

However, there is no job listing for tutorial maker. If I want to apply to work at Riot for this, which position matches this the best? I would like to send you my resume, cover letter, and an application to you all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-14-2013
76 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra CHEZ View Post
My gosh. I love the gaming industry so much, and it's my dream to work within it. I'm about to start my first year of college as a Computer Science major, but I already feel like I'm behind because I'm not a child prodigy that's made 3 top selling iOS apps and 2 beloved indie titles while running a successful gaming blog and making mods on the weekends.

How do I calm down and remind myself that the people that make the games I love are mortal too, and if I work hard I can make it without being a genius nor having a pact with the powers of darkness?
Hey Ultra CHEZ,

I can't guarantee that no one's made a pact with Teemo, but most people haven't...I think...

Protip: Focus on yourself. There's nothing more fulfilling at the end of the day than to do what you're passionate about. If you truly love games, it won't matter if you're working on a AAA game or making your own Flash game. You'll put your all into it and the results will show that passion.

I can't guarantee that Zen-ing out and remaining calm will help you achieve your goal of 'making it', but a sure-fire way to make your dreams come true is to work at it. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received [paraphrased] is that "anything worth having requires effort" [this was sports related advice but I believe it applies to many/all facets of life]. Put yourself out there. Read massive amounts of blogs/books/magazines, watch relevant videos [TED talks are awesome], engage with people in the field [noobs -> veterans], and work on mastering your craft.

*End Ramble*


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-14-2013
77 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cless View Post
Hey Chezai,

A while back when Riot had open forum recruitment, I've expressed my interest in helping Riot make tutorials (specifically for the Dominion map mode but willing to do it for the others). I had an epiphany that unless Riot makes an official tutorial for Dominion, people will still be clueless on how to play the map or the basic map mechanics, also the official Dominion website was horribly outdated at the time. Morello gave a reply to my post and that spurred me one to create my own tutorial for Dominion (written and video): http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3245561 (I'll have to update it again since BFT was changed)

This past month in the GD forums, people have been mentioning that the SR tutorial is outdated/doesn't do it's job, such as there is no mentioning of the importance of last hitting. This sparked my interest to try and reach out to Riot again on making tutorials for their map modes.

However, there is no job listing for tutorial maker. If I want to apply to work at Riot for this, which position matches this the best? I would like to send you my resume, cover letter, and an application to you all.
Hey Cless,

Props to you for helping to make the player experience awesome!

I'm not sure what that position might be, but if it's open, it'll be on our Careers page under 'Game Design'. If you want more insight, you can post on our 'Inside Riot Games' page on LinkedIn.

Unfortunately, as I am not apprised of Game Design's hiring needs, I will not be able to field any applications. As Game Designers are on the forums quite often, I suggest presenting your research and work to the community and getting some buy in from everyone. This might help to get their attention.

Hope this helps!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apozitive

Member

08-14-2013

I've been ignored


FML


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Cless,

Props to you for helping to make the player experience awesome!

I'm not sure what that position might be, but if it's open, it'll be on our Careers page under 'Game Design'. If you want more insight, you can post on our 'Inside Riot Games' page on LinkedIn.

Unfortunately, as I am not apprised of Game Design's hiring needs, I will not be able to field any applications. As Game Designers are on the forums quite often, I suggest presenting your research and work to the community and getting some buy in from everyone. This might help to get their attention.

Hope this helps!
Okay thanks Chezai, I'll go try that. Thanks for the reply.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-14-2013
78 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbringehr View Post
I've been ignored


FML
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbringehr View Post
I applied.

Landed an interview with Nate Chatterton before he left, then my next interview was with Jenny Kim.

I do not know what happened, but after nate left, the needs of the team shifted and Riot felt i was no longer required. I do not think I was given a fair chance to prove myself, or my knowledge in the NOC. The language barrier was assured to be no problem since I have had 2.2 years experience supporting E-911 for Sprint at the overland park sprint campus.

I have had 2.2 years supporting Ericsson and Hewlett Packard, I know the ins and outs of a computer like you wouldn't believe. There is nothing that stops me from attaining my goal. I was recommended to go to school and at least earn my associates to solidify my credentials.

Not only that, but on the 15th, I'm having mock interviews set up by Vladimir Cole, he's going to assist me in my endeavors because I've failed entry into 3 other gaming companies. I'm getting the interviews, but something I'm doing wrong is making me a candidate that is not wanted. So he's going to help me identify what I am doing wrong.

So if there is one thing I can tell you. Riot. Is. Awesome. Even though I've been denied entry. They are still helping me. Which is more than anyone has ever done. Riot does not fit the mold, they shatter it. For that, I tip my hat to Riot for breaking tradition and going above and beyond the call of duty.
I'm sorry, Anbringehr!!!! Did not mean to ignore your comment! I am a terrible person Sorry T_T

Now for a proper response:

Thank you for the props and words of encouragement. It is truly humbling to see the positive impact Rioters can have on the community.

But let's not focus on Rioters right now. Let's focus on you. Anbringehr. It's absolutely amazing that you're able to take a not-so-ideal situation and create an awesome opportunity from it. You COULD have gotten upset, but you didn't. Instead, you rose to the challenge, you got up before the KO count, you weathered the storm, you...well, you probably understand what I'm getting at.

At the end of the day, you took a sucky situation and turned it into a win. There is more awesome in that than whatever we can do for you. Major props


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mid Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-14-2013

I applied to Riot and made it far to on-site interview one year ago, but I did utterly terrible during on-site interview, so I was rejected right at the spot... I couldn't fully/clearly express my thoughts as I wanted to due to language barrier and I did not have any interview experiences...

I am now in a very big company working as programmer. After developing my technical skills and communication skills, I'll definitely apply for Riot again one day, but I'm just worried about 'blacklist' after doing horrible on the on-site interview =(

I dont know when I will apply for Riot, but I do hope Riot and LOL to still stay awesome as it is now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-14-2013
79 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angelas View Post
I applied to Riot and made it far to on-site interview one year ago, but I did utterly terrible during on-site interview, so I was rejected right at the spot... I couldn't fully/clearly express my thoughts as I wanted to due to language barrier and I did not have any interview experiences...

I am now in a very big company working as programmer. After developing my technical skills and communication skills, I'll definitely apply for Riot again one day, but I'm just worried about 'blacklist' after doing horrible on the on-site interview =(

I dont know when I will apply for Riot, but I do hope Riot and LOL to still stay awesome as it is now.
Hey Dark Angelas,

Slightly [if not very] belated congratulations on the position!

One of the things we try to do is make sure every candidate leaves their interview having learned something. This can be anything from a solution to a problem that was asked in the interview to a better idea of how Riot functions to where there may be a disconnect between the candidate and position. From the sounds of it, you came out of the interview with and understanding of where your gaps lie. Major props!

However, that's step 1. If you're intent on becoming a red-blooded Rioter, you'll realize that there are more steps. Continual improvement is something we strive for in our game. This value definitely translates to our Rioters.

GL HF!