so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

meadow

08-04-2013

Dear Riot Chezai, as a response on that you requested that I should add you for a conversation I did so several days ago.

And I'm trying to stay very late up (for my timezone) in order to have said conversation, and I hoped that you might have some time tonight as I saw you posting 48 minutes ago in another thread.

Rather than derailing that thread, I decided to post back in this thread. Thanks and hope to talk soon!

Edit: Thank you for replying to me and had the conversation in game, you're really great <3!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-12-2013
68 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadow View Post
Dear Riot Chezai, as a response on that you requested that I should add you for a conversation I did so several days ago.

And I'm trying to stay very late up (for my timezone) in order to have said conversation, and I hoped that you might have some time tonight as I saw you posting 48 minutes ago in another thread.

Rather than derailing that thread, I decided to post back in this thread. Thanks and hope to talk soon!

Edit: Thank you for replying to me and had the conversation in game, you're really great <3!
Not a problem! It was my pleasure

Werewolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-12-2013

Riot Chezai

If I applied for a position from the Jobs page where I check all the Requirements listed on the job page for the specific position, as well as also being part of this community for 4.5 years (longer than most of the Riot Games staff), would you believe that my dedication and passion for this game and this community be a factor in my recruitment or would you hire someone that just has a higher number of years of experience under their belt?

I understand there are a lot of variables in between but how much weight do you believe someone who is truly passionate about the game will hold over someone who is not as dedicated or passionate about the game, yet holds higher experience in the field as opposed to just meeting the requirements?

I would be happy to further discuss in game if possible

Cheers,

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-13-2013
69 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Riot Chezai

If I applied for a position from the Jobs page where I check all the Requirements listed on the job page for the specific position, as well as also being part of this community for 4.5 years (longer than most of the Riot Games staff), would you believe that my dedication and passion for this game and this community be a factor in my recruitment or would you hire someone that just has a higher number of years of experience under their belt?

I understand there are a lot of variables in between but how much weight do you believe someone who is truly passionate about the game will hold over someone who is not as dedicated or passionate about the game, yet holds higher experience in the field as opposed to just meeting the requirements?

I would be happy to further discuss in game if possible

Cheers,
Hey Werewolf,

First off, thanks for being such a dedicated member of the community. I don't know of many people who have been playing League of Legends for 4.5 years [+ being active in the community]. Hats off to you!

Being a gamer/LoLer definitely weighs in when we screen applicants. This emphasis on gaming is a direct reflection of the first and arguably the most important point in our manifesto, which is to put the PLAYER EXPERIENCE FIRST. Speaking to this point, what better way to understand what players want than by bringing in gamers?

When you speak of experience, I'm going to assume that you mean 'years in the field'. What I've learned over the years [huehuehue] is this: just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it. On that note, someone who has years under their belt but lack the 'mastery of craft' we're looking for would not be a strong candidate.

This segues into my next point, which is the need to strike a balance between 'mastery of craft' and 'gamer'. Although I don't know how each team/department weighs the gamer component, I can assure you that it is a fairly important factor and may tip the scales in a "advance mastery of craft + nongamer" vs "intermediate mastery of craft + extreme gamer" situation. As you mentioned, there are many different variables to consider as well, but speaking specifically to 'gamer or not', gamer would [all other things being equal] be our first choice.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to contact me on League of Legends

Pryotra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2013

Are you guys even hiring in the web department? I'm asking because if the answer is a yes, I may or may not send an app;ication...

AkiraPrime

08-13-2013

Hey Riot Chezai,

Do you know when the application will open for summer 2014 internships?

Thanks!

IS1bebc30e34fedef61db6c

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Werewolf,

First off, thanks for being such a dedicated member of the community. I don't know of many people who have been playing League of Legends for 4.5 years [+ being active in the community]. Hats off to you!

Being a gamer/LoLer definitely weighs in when we screen applicants. This emphasis on gaming is a direct reflection of the first and arguably the most important point in our manifesto, which is to put the PLAYER EXPERIENCE FIRST. Speaking to this point, what better way to understand what players want than by bringing in gamers?

When you speak of experience, I'm going to assume that you mean 'years in the field'. What I've learned over the years [huehuehue] is this: just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it. On that note, someone who has years under their belt but lack the 'mastery of craft' we're looking for would not be a strong candidate.

This segues into my next point, which is the need to strike a balance between 'mastery of craft' and 'gamer'. Although I don't know how each team/department weighs the gamer component, I can assure you that it is a fairly important factor and may tip the scales in a "advance mastery of craft + nongamer" vs "intermediate mastery of craft + extreme gamer" situation. As you mentioned, there are many different variables to consider as well, but speaking specifically to 'gamer or not', gamer would [all other things being equal] be our first choice.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to contact me on League of Legends
You like to wave with that player manifesto, but I am from Europe and all I can see is that that player manifesto is just a piece of toilet paper since in EUW the community is completely ignored and nobody cares for us or our experience.

Apozitive

08-13-2013

I applied.

Landed an interview with Nate Chatterton before he left, then my next interview was with Jenny Kim.

I do not know what happened, but after nate left, the needs of the team shifted and Riot felt i was no longer required. I do not think I was given a fair chance to prove myself, or my knowledge in the NOC. The language barrier was assured to be no problem since I have had 2.2 years experience supporting E-911 for Sprint at the overland park sprint campus.

I have had 2.2 years supporting Ericsson and Hewlett Packard, I know the ins and outs of a computer like you wouldn't believe. There is nothing that stops me from attaining my goal. I was recommended to go to school and at least earn my associates to solidify my credentials.

Not only that, but on the 15th, I'm having mock interviews set up by Vladimir Cole, he's going to assist me in my endeavors because I've failed entry into 3 other gaming companies. I'm getting the interviews, but something I'm doing wrong is making me a candidate that is not wanted. So he's going to help me identify what I am doing wrong.

So if there is one thing I can tell you. Riot. Is. Awesome. Even though I've been denied entry. They are still helping me. Which is more than anyone has ever done. Riot does not fit the mold, they shatter it. For that, I tip my hat to Riot for breaking tradition and going above and beyond the call of duty.

Zykezero

08-14-2013

Hey Chezai,

Are you someone I can reach out to in the LoL client about recruitment in Brazil? I have dual citizenship and fluent in both english and portuguese and would love to work as an intermediary between the players and Riot. I would like to ask a few brief questions about what I would need to sure up my resume, in addition to my credentials, to obtain a position in the Sao Paolo office.

Typhoid Burrito

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbringehr View Post
I applied.

I tip my hat to Riot for breaking tradition and going above and beyond the call of duty.

hehehehe...you said duty.

I CAN ACT LIKE A 12 YEAR OLD IF I WANT TO, GOSH!