RiotBrentmeister, what will Mac OS X 10.9 mean for League?

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeceitfulFish

Member

06-20-2013

Given that OS X Mavericks was announced recently, I'm wondering if you guys have looked at the developer builds recently. Apple's touting a lot of performance improvements, can we expect this or other aspects of the new OS to have any impact on LoL?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

06-20-2013
1 of 4 Riot Posts

I currently don't see any reason League would not work with OSX 10.9. However, I have not gone over all the technical details yet or tried to run League on 10.9. I'll see if we can get a test machine with the developer build setup on it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeceitfulFish

Member

06-27-2013

I'm sure it'll run fine, but I'm curious about things like this and whether they might improve performance for league:

Room to run.
The more memory your Mac has at its disposal, the faster it works. But when you have multiple apps running, your Mac uses more memory. With OS X Mavericks, Compressed Memory allows your Mac to free up memory space when you need it most. As your Mac approaches maximum memory capacity, OS X automatically compresses data from inactive apps, making more memory available.


I figure my 2 GB of RAM in my iToaster is a likely bottleneck, so I'm wondering if this will get me better performance. That would be cool.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate Software Engineer

06-27-2013
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceitfulFish View Post
I'm sure it'll run fine, but I'm curious about things like this and whether they might improve performance for league:

Room to run.
The more memory your Mac has at its disposal, the faster it works. But when you have multiple apps running, your Mac uses more memory. With OS X Mavericks, Compressed Memory allows your Mac to free up memory space when you need it most. As your Mac approaches maximum memory capacity, OS X automatically compresses data from inactive apps, making more memory available.

I figure my 2 GB of RAM in my iToaster is a likely bottleneck, so I'm wondering if this will get me better performance. That would be cool.
We'll be doing our own testing on OSX 10.9 (I'm sitting in front of the test machine with it as I type this) to make sure it works well.

Whether or not it gets a perf boost will likely depend on individual machine specs. League is pretty memory hungry (something we're working on), so compressing the memory other apps are using while you're playing could help. But doing that compression takes CPU time, so it might cause a hitch during gameplay when it determines it needs to do the compression. That's the kind of thing we won't know until the final release of 10.9 starts being used across a wide range of machine specs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Willchristiansen

Junior Member

06-28-2013

Been running it since the first dev preview, runs the same if not better on my Retina Macbook Pro, though doubt memory's an issue since this thing has like 16GB. Random thought: retina support for League? It runs at a solid 30 and looks amazing but is nigh unplayable with the tiny map icons and text.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate Software Engineer

06-28-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willchristiansen View Post
Been running it since the first dev preview, runs the same if not better on my Retina Macbook Pro, though doubt memory's an issue since this thing has like 16GB. Random thought: retina support for League? It runs at a solid 30 and looks amazing but is nigh unplayable with the tiny map icons and text.
Retina support is on our list of things we want to do, but I can't currently give you an estimate of when to expect it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirror

Senior Member

06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz View Post
Retina support is on our list of things we want to do, but I can't currently give you an estimate of when to expect it.
How about a return to the Retina support in the PvP.net Client?

It was added in the same patch as Item Sets, and when the client was hotfix-reverted, we also lost the retina. Except the Item Sets came back, and the Retina support did not. T_T


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

06-28-2013
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
How about a return to the Retina support in the PvP.net Client?

It was added in the same patch as Item Sets, and when the client was hotfix-reverted, we also lost the retina. Except the Item Sets came back, and the Retina support did not. T_T
Hey Mirror
Could you make a more detailed (separate) thread about how retina doesn't work anymore with the air client? I've seen people mention gaining/losing it around item sets but I have no idea what they are talking about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirror

Senior Member

06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
Hey Mirror
Could you make a more detailed (separate) thread about how retina doesn't work anymore with the air client? I've seen people mention gaining/losing it around item sets but I have no idea what they are talking about.
Sure: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=39243920


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS15555f469b7ea7e2fbeac

Junior Member

10-06-2013

Here a quick feedback regarding lol under mavericks GM (some like me may try to find out this kind of information for long) :

I picked before upgrading to maverick a reference point in the maps 'Summoner's rift" : in the blue golem bush (top side)

in ML I was in 2550x1440 resolution with very high settings except shadow to 'low' -> so custom
-> 90 fps (vertical sync off , of course)
in maverick in 2550x1440 resolution with ultra high settings except shadow to 'very high' -> so custom
-> 130 fps (vertical sync off)

Regarding apple promise to gain 50%, I can say we are not very far !

just awesome

If you want more feedback -> trankkilou@gmail.com


12