[Guide] Shen the Ninja Tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IlikeIke

11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
What do you have against Warmogs? The cost?

Warmog isn't a bad item cost wise. Just that health regen is a useless stat. Shen is also a bad farmer making Warmogs useless on Shen, since in order for warmogs to be effective you need to farm. If your really so crazy about getting health on a tank just stack giant's belt, but don't get warmogs.

Actually, what do you have against the high HP items in general like Leviathan as well? Don't they help his passive and make Shen more of a viable threat?

Shen's passive is activated whenever he gets hit, how does stacking health (which makes him less tanky then getting armor and magic resist) help his passive if he can't take as many hits. Not only that many armor and magic items are helpful towards you and your team. Whether its the randuins passive that can save a teammate or Thornmail that can get that kill on that stupid Tryn attacking the tank.

Otherwise, you only have your Ult and Taunt to help a team fight if you can't dish out enough damage to make them want to hit you.

Stacking health doesn't make you do any more dmg than getting armor or Magic resist. It makes you even more useless. Randuins can easily save a life, Sunfire could make the difference between and kill and someone escaping. Aegis should be self-explanatory.

Aemon Darkstar

11-04-2010

Armor Pen marks aren't really that good on Shen unless you're jungling, as, like most tanks, his real and only significant damage output is magic (Ki Strike and Vorpal).
IMO, prioritizing Vorpal, THEN Dash, then Feint, works excellent on laning Shen, simply because Vorpal is fantastic in the early game laning phase. With both Vorpal and Ki Strike, you can last-hit 2 minions at once, or last-hit and harass at once. Thanks to your high energy regen, if you're facing total melee champs in your lane, you can continuously whittle down their health with Vorpals. Also, a lot of people underestimate the damage of a high level Vorpal blade in early game. Plus, the heal it affords, while not huge, really helps you stay in lane easier, especially if facing ranged harass. As for using it in a teamfight, its often good to designate a target, and Vorpal it, as when your teammates hit him they heal themselves too. While its not huge, the healing CAN be very useful in a do-or-die situation.
Good point on the Ult shielding, even I did not know that one
I generally don't prio Feint at all till late game. Reason? Its damage negation is not huge. However its best used for a few things you didn't mention. The BEST time to pop feint is when you know you're going to get hit with some enemy harass ability/attack. Any particle effect has a travel time, and if you're savvy, you can hit Feint right before it hits you, thereby wasting (or at least partially negating) the enemy's harass. Its especially effective, like you mentioned, vs. DoTs like Ignite, Poison, Morde ult, etc. Also, if you time it, you can shove off a lot of incoming damage from things like Zilean's bomb, or Karthus's ult.
Otherwise, good guide

FaerellG

11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeIke View Post
Stacking health doesn't make you do any more dmg than getting armor or Magic resist. It makes you even more useless. Randuins can easily save a life, Sunfire could make the difference between and kill and someone escaping. Aegis should be self-explanatory.
I thought Shen's Passive bonus damage was based on his HP.

I mean yeah. Aegis is great, and I love Sunfire as a farming supplement and bonus AoE damage. I get both certainly, Randuins is also great...beyond that we have Boots so that still leaves 2 slots...what do you fill there? GA and Mallet? I guess I was relying too much on Shen's passive.

IlikeIke

11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon Darkstar View Post
Armor Pen marks aren't really that good on Shen unless you're jungling, as, like most tanks, his real and only significant damage output is magic (Ki Strike and Vorpal).
IMO, prioritizing Vorpal, THEN Dash, then Feint, works excellent on laning Shen, simply because Vorpal is fantastic in the early game laning phase. With both Vorpal and Ki Strike, you can last-hit 2 minions at once, or last-hit and harass at once. Thanks to your high energy regen, if you're facing total melee champs in your lane, you can continuously whittle down their health with Vorpals. Also, a lot of people underestimate the damage of a high level Vorpal blade in early game. Plus, the heal it affords, while not huge, really helps you stay in lane easier, especially if facing ranged harass. As for using it in a teamfight, its often good to designate a target, and Vorpal it, as when your teammates hit him they heal themselves too. While its not huge, the healing CAN be very useful in a do-or-die situation.
Good point on the Ult shielding, even I did not know that one
I generally don't prio Feint at all till late game. Reason? Its damage negation is not huge. However its best used for a few things you didn't mention. The BEST time to pop feint is when you know you're going to get hit with some enemy harass ability/attack. Any particle effect has a travel time, and if you're savvy, you can hit Feint right before it hits you, thereby wasting (or at least partially negating) the enemy's harass. Its especially effective, like you mentioned, vs. DoTs like Ignite, Poison, Morde ult, etc. Also, if you time it, you can shove off a lot of incoming damage from things like Zilean's bomb, or Karthus's ult.
Otherwise, good guide
Ya I'll change that up, though if i can depend on my teammates to do their jobs i'll still take over feint over vorpal, but its hard to find teammates you can depend on =\.

IlikeIke

11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
I thought Shen's Passive bonus damage was based on his HP.

I mean yeah. Aegis is great, and I love Sunfire as a farming supplement and bonus AoE damage. I get both certainly, Randuins is also great...beyond that we have Boots so that still leaves 2 slots...what do you fill there? GA and Mallet? I guess I was relying too much on Shen's passive.
His passive is increased by health, but not a lot only 3% of his health. GA and mallet are probably your best bets to fill those last slots up. Also buy elixirs whenever you have some gold extra. If you really like health mallet is definitely the best health item, increase your damage and can root your carry some kills.

PerAnon

11-04-2010

Vorpal should still be maxed first, with a point in each other ability by 4. I usually make judgement calls on whether to level Feint or Dash next - if I'm 2v1 vs good harass, I'll take levels of Feint. If I'm in the 2v2 lane with a character with some burst, the extra .3 seconds on Dash can be useful.

Feint is a great skill that shouldn't be left to languish at level 1, if only because Dash (which is generally more exciting and valuable) gains so little per level.

FaerellG

11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeIke View Post
His passive is increased by health, but not a lot only 3% of his health. GA and mallet are probably your best bets to fill those last slots up. Also buy elixirs whenever you have some gold extra. If you really like health mallet is definitely the best health item, increase your damage and can root your carry some kills.
I like Mallet, but I've actually never been a big fan of GA. I generally don't like items that require you to "die" in order for it to function. It's the same reason I'll never use Revive for spells, or put anything into the "less rez time" mastery.
What do you think about just packing another sunfire rather than GA?

IlikeIke

11-04-2010

Getting two sunfires is pretty pointless imo, its still magic damage and is easily negated by not standing near shen or magic resist. If your not dying in team fights definitely don't get GA. Late game doesn't really matter once your tanky enough to survive in team fights you just gotta make sure your as much of a threat as possible to make them want to target you. Whether thats stacking sunfires, or whatever.

FaerellG

11-04-2010

What do you think of CDR equipment and Blue Buff to spam Feint late game?

IlikeIke

11-06-2010

I'd rather give it to a ally who can use it much better.