[Guide] Udyr: The Stance Dancer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kiltawhirl

12-09-2009

I don't understand all you people who argue that Udyr is terrible. He really isn't. Just because it takes in game skill as much as actual quick fingers doesn't make a character terrible. His survivability is higher than any other hero, imo, and not only does he ruin the other side's day with the stun from bear form, but he also dishes out some crazy dps end game with the pheonix/tiger combo. In addition to all of this, run him with Ghost and Cleanse and youre looking at a hero who is near impossible to gank. Bear, Turtle, Ghost, Cleanse - not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea. There is nothing wrong with the character at all. So grow up, all a' ya'll.

Ebinkar

12-09-2009

I agree, most people who hate Udyr just hate him because he's too hard for them. Unlike a lot of characters he takes A LOT of foresight and finesse.

This was one of the first serious Udyr guides that I've seen, instead of a "Udyr sucks" guide, and I have to say I'm rather impressed. My build is similar, concentrating on attack speed and phoenix stances proc. I might suggest checking out the sword of the divine though. The extra 100 damage every 4th hit means with the proc your dealing big damage almost every other hit. Plus it boosts attack speed by 55%.

blackmartin

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebinkar View Post
I might suggest checking out the sword of the divine though. The extra 100 damage every 4th hit means with the proc your dealing big damage almost every other hit. Plus it boosts attack speed by 55%.
Played a couple matches where I picked up the sword of divine as my 4th item, which was right around when mid game ganking begins. I figured Udyr isnt getting many kills until around this time so right at the mid game was the perfect time to pick it up and start assist ganking with people. Did really nice things to my damage granted I couldnt stay alive as well. Just gotta really be careful until you get your last 2 defensive items if you take this route, definately viable dps item though and a great cheap addition to his damage.

Pondera

12-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebinkar View Post
I might suggest checking out the sword of the divine though. The extra 100 damage every 4th hit means with the proc your dealing big damage almost every other hit.
i believe your're thinking of tiger stance when there are 3 quick hits. however in the stance tooltip it says 'on hit abilities only count for the first hit' (not exact wording but close enough) so it would still be 4 hits no matter what stance you use. but attack speed stacking solves that issue, with a cap at 2.5 hits/sec it's an extra 100 dmg every 1.66 sec or so.

i do have a question here though, i thought of something and havent had the time to test yet maybe someone else has. instead of stacking full attack speed, drop a little off and pick-up staff of the archangel. it boosts dmg from tiger and pheonix stance plus amount of dmg blocked in turtle, with mount of stance switching you can rack up the mana/spell power in no time. im personaly thinking berserker's greaves>tear of the godess>trinity force>feindish codex> udgrade the tear to staff> and if there's time/gold madred's bloodrazor. thoughts?
edit: ok after trying this out the staff has a max mana limit, and with out any mastery/rune points in + mana, that max is 2030 mana, making 145 ability power, or an extra 29 damage per 3 hits from phoenix stance. so 40 ability power for 2890 gold and more mana than you can possibly need or use, not to mention time and an inventory slot, i wouldn't reccomend what i offered above to any udyr build and i dont know of a champion that could benefit from it. happy hunting all

Wolfy2032

12-30-2009

Black I do like your guide except i dont like Flash for udyr i prefer ghost and a different set of runes / masteries but what i will say is this instead of NEEDING turtle stance have you ever tried picking up a Doran's shield. I was having survivability problems until i started making this my first item. The hp armor and hp regen is more than enough for a smart udyr to stay alive early and rack up creep kills even hero kills early game.

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2009

turtle is needed so u can turtle/phoenix juggle golems and dragons at lvl 5+

Wolfy2032

01-01-2010

You can do that with out needing turtle stance i do it all the time and i have a stronger ganking power because my bear is higher lvl.

Pondera

01-01-2010

while you can at lvl 5 take on dragons and golems, in the end it's just not efficient. sure it's cool to brag about it, but realy farming the mobs (or more accurately enemy champions :P) is a much better way of getting gold and exp early game. you can probly make more gold/exp in 30 sec with minions than the one min+ it takes to kill the dragon at lvl 5.

TheOrckenMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

Great guide! Played several games with him on a friends account and now I believe id consider spending IP to unlock him! thanks for taking the time to write the guide!

Tobyone

01-15-2010

This is a good guide, the one thing that I changed is the order of skills. Personally, I max out turtle form asap, just because it makes the first few levels sooo much easier.