[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jmaster

12-09-2009

I love the new Ryze and I've been playing with variations of this build for a week or so. One thing I tried (mainly on accident by me misclicking) was getting an innervating locket over banshees. It actually worked out beautifuly. Since you are a constant caster now, the 50hp/20mp really add up fast and can keep a whole team restored, not to mention the mana efficiency of taking 20 mana off most of your spell casts. I still get banshees vs a caster-heavy team, but most of the time the locket does the trick. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say thanks for the guide.

Meta

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
I love the new Ryze and I've been playing with variations of this build for a week or so. One thing I tried (mainly on accident by me misclicking) was getting an innervating locket over banshees. It actually worked out beautifuly. Since you are a constant caster now, the 50hp/20mp really add up fast and can keep a whole team restored, not to mention the mana efficiency of taking 20 mana off most of your spell casts. I still get banshees vs a caster-heavy team, but most of the time the locket does the trick. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say thanks for the guide.
My only problem with going with a Locket would be that I prefer to resolve any mana issues I can with MP stacking rather than any Regen. MP boosts my overload, regen does not.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

12-09-2009

The regen he's referring to is the passive from the Innervating Locket which restores Mana and Health every time you use an ability. The Locket itself actually has more mana than the Veil.

That's a pretty interesting find, I never really considered the Locket just because I've used it on other support heroes to no great effect at it's cost. I think similarly to the Rod of Ages, the Locket probably doesn't add as much value as the Veil if you're going against a magic or disable heavy team. BUT, given the ability cooldown like you mentioned, this gives a really great option for turning Ryze into a pushing hero, akin to Sivir, around mid game where your mana pool isn't large enough to be sustainable.

Nice find, it would be interesting to play with this more and see how well it works.

Pinith

12-09-2009

The low AP focus for Rhyze gets a little misleading because most people neglect the AOE aspect of his ultimate. With the ultimate active, if you pop your spell flux into a group of enemies, each bounce hits for 0.22 AP ratio for the aoe portion. This means a single enemy takes 1.1-1.33 of your AP in damage from that one spell. Ultimate+spell flux ends up being my tide-turning combo for team fights, overload is for (hopefully) finishing people off or skirmishing.

Rune prison levels up to having 6 ticks, which is an effective 2.0!!! AP ratio, 1.0 or 1.33 if they have treads.

I think the best builds for him will want a healthy mix of AP and mana, and of course survivability+CD reduction. One might want to consider two archangel staffs, maybe one before and one after the frozen heart. I've also had good experiences with deathfire grasp (when I remember to use it), but its harder to get a good max cooldown build with it.

Rosinja

12-10-2009

I've used this build many many times for the new ryze. I love it.

Went 17/8/15.

Items used:
Mercury's Treads
Archangel's Staff
Frozen Heart
Rod of Ages
(didnt have time to get a fifth, but was going for Sages ring to have more spike damage)

Only thing I can think of for an improvement is making your tear and boots priorty over your Rod of Ages/Banshee Veil chain.

Maybe I missd it in OP's post. If so, wohoo! Gj.

/signed.

innociv

12-11-2009

I disagree with the skills. Overload is your main damage.

Go high mana, penetration and archangel is all the AP you need and you'll be doing such insane damage with overload.

cazoofoo

12-11-2009

Fiddle’s Silence-Bird-Whose-Name-Escapes-Me-Right-Now

A crow?

Reep

12-11-2009

Let's say I'm getting the golem buff without any CD reduction (or very little from masteries, say, 6%). I cast my ult, hit E Q W or something... well, my ult's almost over, and depending on how much CD I have, I might be able to sneak in another Q. With 40% CD, I can cast almost twice as many spells, thus correctly utilizing the ultimate. CD is definetely the way to go, since it scales exponentially with his new passive. By lowering the base casting time of your spells, you increase the effectiveness of Ryze's passive.

Speaking of the golem buff, have you ever tried implementing it into your build, TC? It offers quite a bit of CD and Mana regen, it seems like it would make you even more of a beast. With your ult you could easily get the buff at around level 6 or so.

I'm going to have to give this a shot. Is it do-able without the purchase of CD runes? Also, are elixirs of brilliance worth the investement?

Thanks

H0m3runn3r

12-11-2009

Hello. I was a fan of the old glass cannon Ryze, and since the nerf/buff (as you want), i'm encoutering some problems. As there was no new guide, i first continued playing with the massive AP build, and even if it was not so OP than before, i usually had a good score and won some games. Then i tried this new low AP build, and i really have a problem with gold. Since auto-attack is now totally weak, the only farming ability is spell flux, but it doesnt seem to be efficient to get enough gold to be competitive (and i think this build is very gear-dependant). Even with the ult which permits to kill one wave rapidly, but that's it.
The other problem is, i am not as useful as before in team fights : in early-mid game, with low-ranked overload and not always the ult up (as it is used for farming), my damage is laughable, and in late game, with 3k+ mana and low AP, i have a very low burst.
Am I missing something ? Any advice is welcome

And sorry if there are some language mistakes, I'm a french player !

Psyker

12-13-2009

Having a lot of fun and success with this build. I really like how fast it is with spell casts, especially in those big team battles. Nothing is more fun than watching an ulti'd spell flux ball rip apart an enemy team and then doing it again just seconds after.