[Guide] Kayle - The Anti-Carry Angel

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knuckle

12-08-2009

Kayle the Angel of Anti-Carry
Guide to Harassment of Carries!
PREFACE:

This guide is not how to build a tank Kayle, or a support Kayle.
This guide can be used for solo or team laning, but I focus on solo mid Kayle with
this guide, as it allows her to truly dominate the other teams carry and farm
massive amounts of xp over all other players in game.

If you are not very aggressive or are easily intimidated I wouldn't recommend this guide for your playstyle.

This is, for all intents and purposes, a AP DPS Kayle Guide.

Pregame
Summoner Skills

Teleport - Teleport is key to minimize downtime in a carry lane.
You will level faster and upgrade your gear quickly without fear of losing exp or allowing
the other teams carry to farm. This skill is a MUST. Survivability: You can solo anywhere at anytime with teleport + invuln up even if they are roaming as a pack with nashors up, simply invuln yourself and quickly teleport to a teleport or minion.

Ignite - There are two major ways I use this ability. The first way is pyschological, as soon as the mid hero shows up I will ignite , nuke, then melee attack untill they run to the turret, if their bad they will die, if their good, they will live, either way they are now on the defensive and your AP is boosted by 10 untill its ready again. The second way to use this ability is as a coup de grace when you turret dive them at level 6 for those last couple hundred hp.

I use teleport and ignite 99% of the games I play.

Cripple - Easy to counter, but very effective especially if you are partnered with someone, consider it useful in premades.

Flash - May be better for finishing off a hero than ignite, but I like ignites heal debuff more.

Rally - If no one on your team is going rally might be a good idea to snag this with the improved talent and have them assist you with lizard or golem
Don't Use:

Heal - This is Harass kayle not support kayle, you have enough tools to survive.
Ghost Run - Your movement speed is more than adequate with reckoning/divine blessing.
Cleanse - Intervention + divine blessing keeps you safe from too much crowd control.

Runes

Blue - Scaling/Static Cooldown Reduction

Red -Magic Penetration

Yellow - Static Mana Regeneration

Quintessence - Magic Pen, Static HP, and Mana regen.

All of kayles abilities are short cooldown this rune build maximizes the ability to spam reckoning
and keeping yourself healed with divine blessing very often, in conjunction with the item build I will
list in a bit, you will be able to harass and control any lane 1v1 and often 1v2. The emphasis on cooldown is VERY important for early game harass, which is KEY to the success of this build, if you cant keep your enemy carry from getting exp/gold you are failing your team with this build.

Masteries
The Mastery build I use:
21/0/9
Utility: Pick up all the cooldown reduction, mana regeneration, and decreased teleport time you can with the 9 points.
Offense: Grab everything with AP bonuses, and the big physical damage ones, improved rally is optional for high end premades, for most pugs you will want to use ignite to grief middle early/mid game.

Item Build
I am a firm believer in adaptation and improvisation, but this is a build I often use with kayle as a guideline:

Meki Pendant
+2 HP Potions to start game.

Meki Pendant -> Chalice of Harmony
There really is no alternative to this, the mana regeneration
on this is incredible and you will need it moreso than a larger mana pool early game as your abilties are relatively
low cost running oom isnt as bad as not being able to quickly regen.

Mercury Treads/Sorceror Boots
Whichever seems more worthwhile, most games I get mercury treads to allow me to chase running ashes, if you feel you have control of
your lane despite whatever disables you are facing, go for the added DPS of sorceror boots magic pen.
This is always the second item I get after Chalice of Harmony.

Mejai's Soulstealer
The new deathfire grasp pales in comparison to a properly farmed soulstealer, get this immediately after finishing your boots, if you actually manage to max this out you'll be able to bubble every 36 seconds end game.

Zhonyas Ring
After further testing, I have decided to bench the lichbane from slot 4 on my recommended items, instead work towards a Zhonyas Ring, if you are able to complete this and get some decent stacks on the soulstealer you will be an AP powerhouse.

After your Zhonyas Ring is complete, consider any of these items, however situationality may call for a different item.

Lichbane
Stinger -> Nashor's Tooth
Rylai's Scepter
Abysal Scepter
Banshees Veil
Tiamat
Voidd Staff
Guardian Angel

Kayle's Skills
Reckoning: 80-300 DMG. Max this as early as possible.

Divine Blessing: Heals friendly target and temporarily increases their movement speed.
I usually max this before Righteous Fury, rank 1 righteous fury is fine till late game.

Righteous Fury: Adds splash damage to kayles attacks, makes kayles melee attacks ranged, and adds spell damage to kayles base attacks.
Excellent skill late game in conjunction with lich bane.

Intervention: Invuln for 3,4,5 seconds. Amazing skill, I can play tank/initiator even with this full AP specced build if you time this skill right.
Late game you will be nigh unstoppable 1v1 if you have dominated mid properly!

Skill Leveling Order
Reckoning (Q)
Divine Blessing (W)
Reckoning (Q)
Righteous Fury (E)
Reckoning (Q)
Intervention(R)
Reckoning(Q)
Divine Blessing (W)
Reckoning(Q)
Divine Blessing(W)
Intervention(R)
Divine Blessing(W)
Righteous Fury (E)
Divine Blessing(W)
Righteous Fury(E)
Intervention(R)
Righteous Fury(E)
Righteous Fury(E)

Early Game
Get mid by any means necessary, I have games where people absolutely **** talk me for taking mid, good, it fuels my ire to prove them wrong,
by the end of the game I've got a few new friend invites, or they've shut up at least.
Get your meki pendant and healing pots and wait at the tower. Find out who you are fighting before leaping into creeps, once you know what your up against barrage them with reckoning and quickly retreat.
Repeat this over and over untill their low enough to kill. Use blessing sparingly early game, instead heal with pots to save mana for reckoning.
You should get some kills, if not, you should be able to effectively 'deny' their carry.
To deny, simply let the creeps kill eachother with kayle behind enemy creeps just in range of experience, this will infuriate their carry to ask for help or make a silly mistake. Only do this once you have assured your dominance and only do it when its safe to.

Mid Game
You will either continue to farm middle or try a few key ganks/tower pushes in alternative lanes, if their carry starts trying to solo middle again repeat early game method to a very amusing conclusion.
At this point you should have your Mejais soulstealer completed and start on lichbane.

Late Game
Righteous Fury is now devestating for farming creeps and tower pushing, methodically push creeps back or set up team ganks with yourself as bait. Always stay nimble to avoid ashe ultis, and be prepared to invuln yourself as soon as you are jumped. Mastering the ultimate of kayle is what will determine how well your team does in group fights, get good at it.
Be very aggressive and dont be afraid to go off alone pushing back creeps if you know they cant chain stun/snare you too well.

Well that's my brief and very simple guide to kayle as a solo middle anti-carry. It's rather beautiful in the simplicity of its effectiveness. You will be surprised at how much easier it is to dominate ashe/tristana and all those annoying carries you deal with middle, if you find a hero you can't handle middle post here and I'll tell you how to play better, cheers!

I am adding a new section for heros that are difficult to counter and ways to defeat them, cheers.

Chogath: Spam Ignite whenever its up, very hard to coup de grace ignite on a chogath, use it to limit his life regen. Flame sword is key here in conjunction with reckoning to prevent him from getting fat, evade his ground spikes with divine blessings increased movement, play better.

Kassadin: extremely evasive, properly played nearly unkillable. Your best bet is to harass him with flame sword early game as melee to melee he will defeat you with the right spec.

Katarina: Specced heavy on offense with a strong starter item, she can reverse the harassment on you early game, keep an eye if she took exhaust/flash as she can catch you before level 6 quite easily.

Blitzcrank: the dreaded armgrab can get you wrecked early game, harass with flame sword and focus on minion kills in this rare case. Very rare to face blitzcrank middle.

Sivir: If sivir maxes her spellshield early you will be draining alot of mana without really slowing down her farming, especially if shes aggressive, get a rank of flame sword early and try to force her spellshield before you actually nuke.

Hiemerdinger: Get Righteous Fury to a high rank at a low level.

TWISTED TREELINE NOTES:
Drop teleport, pick up: Smite, Cleanse, Flash, Claravoiyance.
Masteries: 20/0/10 (make sure to get 2 ranks utility mastery)
Runes: Magic Pen/Mana Regen/Cooldown Reduction
Itemization: Build a stinger/fiendish codex first in lieu of Soulstealer. Build Sorc/merc tread boots. Guinsoos Rageblade should absolutely come next. Then finish nashor's tooth. After that: Lichbane or Zhonyas in whichever order seems appropriate.

IHaveCrayons

Recruiter

12-08-2009

Thanks, been looking for a Kayle build and will try this.

Knuckle

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
Thanks, been looking for a Kayle build and will try this.
Let me know how it goes, I've literally not been outmuscled or outclassed 1v1 mid against anyone in weeks, these are the classes i've faced mid:

Ashe
Blitzcrank
Chogath*
Corki *
Gangplank
Hiemerdinger
Katarina
Nasus
Singed
Teemo
Tristana
Tryndamere *
Twisted Fate
Twitch
Viegar

That's off the top of my head, asterik is a nod for difficulty, corki and tryndamere anre challenging but doable also, they inevitably were defeated although they come very close to solo killing me a few times.
Nasus is only difficult if he maxes his aoe early as its very hard to stop him from farming gold.

MuscleMemory

12-08-2009

what do you do against a taric? or what if there are 2 mid... do you switch to the carry's lane? oh yea

edit: anivia solo's mid alot too

Knuckle

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleMemory View Post
what do you do against a taric? or what if there are 2 mid... do you switch to the carry's lane? oh yea

edit: anivia solo's mid alot too
Taric is actually rather straightforward, spam reckoning! You may want to get a rank of righteous fury around level 3 to prevent him from meleeing minions for mana effectively. With tanks/high survivability toons you will use righteous fury alot more often early game.

Anivia- I use to play her all the time, keep divine blessing on to dodge her stun bolt with superior speed. Constantly strafe side to side and spam reckoning. Avoid tower diving unless her egg is on cooldown, becuase if she pops out of egg and puts a ice wall behind you its usally GG. Definitely go mercury treads for the extra magic resist. Anivia typically has low hp regen item builds so a steady spam of reckoning will shut down her farming quickly. If she goes tank bird its even easier to harass her since her dps is much less threatening.

Knuckle

12-11-2009

Bump. edited summon skill descriptions.

Arkzend

12-11-2009

what order do you get skills plx?

ThaSnowMannn

12-12-2009

ok so wud u suggest RECK for LV 2...n get one RIGHTEOUS for holding back n hittin ranged?...n if so is there a range extender item i shud be getting?!...also do u have tha runes for HEALTH REGEN or no?

Elhehir

12-12-2009

I agree with this build Knuckle. I was some Corki you played yesterday and I found you truly good (albeit it was my second time playing Corki middle though, I usually play Master Yi or Amumu... I got wrecked in my first game so my teammates told me to practice in solo queue on the midlane XD)

I really could not do anything about it; the only thing that worked was either call a gank from the other lanes or just retaliate and have you heal over time while I was just getting worn down. I can't really see anyone sololane able to beat this to be honest.

ThaSnowMannn

12-12-2009

ight i like that item setup....but if u wanna be like that...dont u also want to make ur abilities crazy high?...i mean TANK is ight...but my CRIT was making short work of turrets...i like that lich bane **** tho...def a good choice...but i run outta mana fast...even tho im self sufficient n ONLY go to base to shop...i always get tha FIENDISH CODEX...idk if im wrong on that...but def helps me out alot...also i still need to figure out my rune setup...but def a good guide...

12345 ... 8