[Guide] TANKPLANK - The scourge of teamfights!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lain777

08-08-2010

So what do u do when the other team ignore you and go for ur teammate, you cant effectively be call a tank without taking their damage?. i dont see any reason why they should need to not ignore you completely.

Schnippel

10-20-2010

I crit 1300 on champions with 100 armor.
I crit 800 on champions that are stacking armor.

So i cannot see how this can be better than critplank :S I see a lot of really bad critplanks, and maybe that's the reason why you are implying that this is "better".

The build i use is a lot cheaper, especially since i am stacking avaric (I get 4 avaric, so after selling them ive earned about 2k gold. + the gold that 50% crit chance helped me get.)

xahhfink6

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnippel View Post

So i cannot see how this can be better than critplank :S I see a lot of really bad critplanks, and maybe that's the reason why you are implying that this is "better".

The build i use is a lot cheaper, especially since i am stacking avaric (I get 4 avaric, so after selling them ive earned about 2k gold. + the gold that 50% crit chance helped me get.)
I dont think that anywhere I say that this is better than critplank... I play critplank as well (I'm planning on writing a guide on him) but I'm saying that gangplank is a viable tank.

I do completely agree with you that there are a lot of people who play critplank badly, and from your build I can see that you are one of them... With this build I'm going to be dealing as much damage as your avarice blade stacking critplank, all while being immune to dying

Craixis

10-26-2010

Just to refresh this a bit (and because I like the concept of the build), what do you think of Kindle Gem and Philosopher's Stone? Philos gives extra HP and Mana Regen, while Kindle Gem adds a bit of HP (And the Movement speed increase works well with Raise Morale, when you combine the items). At least for the early game, the boost aren't bad (increased Gold Gain/HP Regen/Mana... staying power ahoy!)

PS: I love tank plank... 3/5/12

BeerManMike

10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsharp View Post
If you wanted to tank, why not use a real tank with the skills to back it up? With this build, Gangplank would have a 1 time heal/cleanse, a weak Parrrley, and a weak ultimate, while at the same time not being that great of a tank anyways. Honest question.
Parrrrley isn't was weak as you would think, raise moral gives it a little boost. Also the Ultimate is the same for Crit plank as this one, so what are you talking about? Unless you think it's sucks all around unless you stack AP. It's good too, why are you trying to fight this build?

BeerManMike

10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnippel View Post

Ok you crit someone with parrrley, now what do you do for the whole team fight? oh that's right, nothing.

Rudeboymike

10-28-2010

I've noticed a few guides on champions with non traditional builds. Interesting and innovative, but many seem hardly viable.

First off, in League of Legends, you can't just have a lot of HP and Resistance and call yourself a tank. HP and Resistance isn't worth a lick if no one targets you.

In League, tanks need to not only be resilient to damage, they must also offer one of two things. Crowd control to stop the enemy carry so your team can focus him, or significant threat of some sort. This is why Sunfire stacking is popular on tanks, because they can cause significant damage if not dealt with or CC'd. Other forms of this tanking include Garen's spin and Nasus's ult. In these situations, the other team is forced to either fight the tank or fall back, ignoring him in a team fight would be detrimental.

Now the problem with GP is that he doesn't have any of these effects aside from his Ult's slow and damage, which is static unless you build him AP. He doesn't produce enough threat (read as: damage) to not ignore him. So, I hate to say it, but irregardless of how you build him, Gangplank is a pretty poor tank.

Not sure if any of you play WoW, but in higher end raids, tanks not only had to have the Health and Armor to tank a boss, but they also had to have enough threat so that the Mages wouldn't pull agro. This exact same concept applies to League, just in the Damage or CC, instead of Sunder stacking and armor penetration.

edit: why is everyone getting down voted that plays devil's advocate? aren't you supposed to critique the builds posted here? people are asking legitimate questions about why would the other team not ignore you.

Craixis

10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboymike View Post
I've noticed a few guides on champions with non traditional builds. Interesting and innovative, but many seem hardly viable.

First off, in League of Legends, you can't just have a lot of HP and Resistance and call yourself a tank. HP and Resistance isn't worth a lick if no one targets you.
Tank Plank can be adjusted to fill the same role as Garen, Anti Carry (grab Atma's, focus then shifts to you as you deal 200+ damage to an enemy carry per hit, they start to focus you when they realize "Hey, this guy isn't stopped by CCs" They either focus you or lose their damage).

It's not hard to get the attention of the enemy, stand in front to take CCs, scare off their Carries (Again, Parrrley hits hard even with a small bit of attack damage), be the first guy hitting the tower, if all that fails, your Grog Soaked Blade makes it impossible to heal effectively (I can't count the number of Warwicks I've managed to shut down because I hit them once, 50% reduced healing hurts).

So far, I'm loving how Tank Plank handles... It's very easy to score assist with your Ult, and being the hardest guy to kill in a team fight has its benefits (especially when you're dealing 150 extra damage over time to any target you hit.) Your main role is anti carry if you follow this, though you do make a great damage sponge. If you avoid the Atma's, you still have two large AoE slows people have to worry about (Omen + Cannon Barrage).

You also have to remember Gangplank farms effectively, no matter what build you follow, building something like Atma's doesn't take that long with Parrrley and your ult (and your ult will be on a minute cooldown with Omen and Spirit Visage, or as close to it as it really needs to be). You'll have Omen before the laning phase is done in most games (at least in practice, I start with a meki pendant and get Chalice for Mana issues and the small M resist, Merc Treads, then HoG on, though that's personal preference... it's been working out ok).

I mean, Tank Plank stands for "Tanki Damage" Plank, didn't you get the memo?

LordWalmart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

lol i just tried it in two games. worked pretty well in both. I got fully stacked leviathon with atmas and mallet and visage and randuins. Trynd couldnt touch me lol. Really farm intensive, but being plank with fortify you can still help out all over the place just like you said.

cheshirebat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

I enjoy gp's skillset, but abhor the IE IE IE IE parrrley build that seems to be rampant. It isn't fun to play, or play against, and honestly is not very team oriented.

This build is also lovely to me because theres a special place in my heart for making tanks out of random champs. What do you think of cdr blues? I farmed them up and tend to use them often... but sometimes I think they would be better elsewhere (yes they help... but your items should lower the cd pretty effectively)