Trundle Speed Sculpt

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

04-06-2013
17 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibodee Crocket View Post
Still waiting on a red reply to this.
Like I said, I was not a fan of his anatomy or proportions. It was my personal preference .I thought he looked more like a goblin, not a troll. Ironstylus, Bravo Ray ,and I did some concepts and pitched them to the entire team, they thought the new direction was awesome, and it serendipitously aligned with what the writing team wanted to do. We knew it would be controversial, so we decided as a team to make the traditional skin, but we needed it to fit the new rig so it could share the same animation set but we wanted the textures and particles to have the same dirt and grime feel, as well as the filth/disease aesthetic, and original VO work. So we feel gross leprosy troll abides, he's just got a new coat of paint and Trollish proportions. Some people will disagree with this no matter what, that's their right I respect their opinions. But I feel like we kept and perserved the best things about the old trundle in the traditional skin and added things that visually make him fit with the new champions that we have made over the past year.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

T33moHat

Member

04-06-2013

Grumpy, I personally love what the team has done to trundle.His kit was Allways solid, but now He looks like he can go toe to toe with with anyone. Good work and thanks fir giving some much deserved love to a great champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chibodee Crocket

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Like I said, I was not a fan of his anatomy or proportions. It was my personal preference .I thought he looked more like a goblin, not a troll. Ironstylus, Bravo Ray ,and I did some concepts and pitched them to the entire team, they thought the new direction was awesome, and it serendipitously aligned with what the writing team wanted to do. We knew it would be controversial, so we decided as a team to make the traditional skin, but we needed it to fit the new rig so it could share the same animation set but we wanted the textures and particles to have the same dirt and grime feel, as well as the filth/disease aesthetic, and original VO work. So we feel gross leprosy troll abides, he's just got a new coat of paint and Trollish proportions. Some people will disagree with this no matter what, that's their right I respect their opinions. But I feel like we kept and perserved the best things about the old trundle in the traditional skin and added things that visually make him fit with the new champions that we have made over the past year.
Except now people who bought Trundle skins who liked the original Trundle and are not happy with the new one get screwed. Will refunds be available for those with Trundle skins whom bought them a while back?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holy Malevolence

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibodee Crocket View Post
Except now people who bought Trundle skins who liked the original Trundle and are not happy with the new one get screwed. Will refunds be available for those with Trundle skins whom bought them a while back?
Hope to high hell they will.
If you're going to murder a champion at least let me get rid of the corpse. Don't want it stinking up my living room and ARAM lobby.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

deusxmachina32

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Like I said, I was not a fan of his anatomy or proportions. It was my personal preference .I thought he looked more like a goblin, not a troll. Ironstylus, Bravo Ray ,and I did some concepts and pitched them to the entire team, they thought the new direction was awesome, and it serendipitously aligned with what the writing team wanted to do. We knew it would be controversial, so we decided as a team to make the traditional skin, but we needed it to fit the new rig so it could share the same animation set but we wanted the textures and particles to have the same dirt and grime feel, as well as the filth/disease aesthetic, and original VO work. So we feel gross leprosy troll abides, he's just got a new coat of paint and Trollish proportions. Some people will disagree with this no matter what, that's their right I respect their opinions. But I feel like we kept and perserved the best things about the old trundle in the traditional skin and added things that visually make him fit with the new champions that we have made over the past year.

Well frankly you didn't. When you change the lore, you change who the character is. You change his personal journey and his goals, and you disrespect everyone who bought him and fell in love with him. Making a skin is not enough If I were to play Northern Tyrant Swain, that doesn't change the fact that he isn't from the north. He is the current leader of Noxus. I can deal with you making him a bit bigger, but the ice theme has got to go!

"I respect their opinions."

You don't. Don't lie. If you respected our opinions you wouldn't have told us you were keeping him and you wouldn't have ignored us for so long, and you wouldn't have insulted us by calling us irrational.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holy Malevolence

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusxmachina32 View Post
Well frankly you didn't. When you change the lore, you change who the character is. You change his personal journey and his goals, and you disrespect everyone who bought him and fell in love with him. Making a skin is not enough If I were to play Northern Tyrant Swain, that doesn't change the fact that he isn't from the north. He is the current leader of Noxus. I can deal with you making him a bit bigger, but the ice theme has got to go!

"I respect their opinions."

You don't. Don't lie. If you respected our opinions you wouldn't have told us you were keeping him and you wouldn't have ignored us for so long. And you wouldn't have insulted us by calling us irrational.
And you'd probably be making Brawndle his own kit instead of stealing it from Trundle.
The moves don't even fit him. The debuffing and terrain morphing made sense with the diseased swamp monkey, but doesn't so much with the ice gorilla.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anthraax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

04-06-2013

I just wanted to throw out there that I was always a huge fan of the Art Spotlights and have even requested they be brought back. I loved watching the artist create something from nothing.

Watching this Sculpting video was a pleasure just to be able to see what kind of work goes into creating "art" from start to finish and I really, REALLY hope there will be more like this. Thank you for your work. Not just to Grumpy Monkey and Iron Stylus but to all the other artists at Riot.

Edit: I don't understand why I would get downvoted for appreciating the work the art team puts into the art of this game. While some of you may not like the fact that they are changing the story for an established character you can at least try to understand that the artists are responsible for making the ART for the game, not changing lore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-06-2013

I was hoping for something of a more involved reply on the matter; I can't say I feel very good about the lore team talking with the relaunch team on the matter of Trundle if that's the kind of cold reply we're going to receive. I'll still offer you respect; I'll reiterate what I said when I saw the original preview for the relaunch. Integrity feels as if it's been lost. Or there's at least a serious disconnect in personal values versus the player base's value of certain champions presently.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS149c9d0730e8b88ab7fc5

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Ironstylus, Bravo Ray ,and I did some concepts and pitched them to the entire team, they thought the new direction was awesome, and it serendipitously aligned with what the writing team wanted to do. We knew it would be controversial, so we decided as a team to make the traditional skin
So after a assuring us in a thread last year that he would be kept the same, you and the art team pitch a completely different champion as his concept art. Why? In the new art he looks nothing like his old self. Why were we lied to?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
But I feel like we kept and perserved the best things about the old trundle in the traditional skin and added things that visually make him fit with
the new champions that we have made over the past year.
Except the traditional skin doesn't aid those who bought Trundle skins for Trundle. Not this Troll King. Why do those players now have to accept the new personality and voice acting for the SKINS THEY BOUGHT FOR TRUNDLE. Friends of mine bought Junkyard Trundle not Mad Max Trundle from Borderlands.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twerk it Twitch

Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Like I said, I was not a fan of his anatomy or proportions. It was my personal preference .I thought he looked more like a goblin, not a troll. Ironstylus, Bravo Ray ,and I did some concepts and pitched them to the entire team, they thought the new direction was awesome, and it serendipitously aligned with what the writing team wanted to do. We knew it would be controversial, so we decided as a team to make the traditional skin, but we needed it to fit the new rig so it could share the same animation set but we wanted the textures and particles to have the same dirt and grime feel, as well as the filth/disease aesthetic, and original VO work. So we feel gross leprosy troll abides, he's just got a new coat of paint and Trollish proportions. Some people will disagree with this no matter what, that's their right I respect their opinions. But I feel like we kept and perserved the best things about the old trundle in the traditional skin and added things that visually make him fit with the new champions that we have made over the past year.
I own Junkyard Trundle, I just lost the skin I bought for a champion I loved due to this change. I don't want the new Trundle voice acting of model look or ice particles, I want me Trundle skin to look and be faithful to the champion I bought it for not this new champion who is being forced upon us.

Other players like me have no way of refunding this skin as we bought it quite some time ago.