Trundle Speed Sculpt

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solaris17

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Hey guys, We don't do the art spotlight speed painting stuff much anymore, so I decided to record the sculpting session for Trundle's vu to give you a bit of insight into the process. This was made in a program called Zbrush, it's like sculpting with digital clay. I usually start with one of the many blank models I have in my library, and then tend to push and pull shapes until I get the look I want.

https://vimeo.com/63208952

Also here are some turnarounds of the sculpts.
@ riot grumpy monkey if you see this about how long do you think it took to remember/perfect all the muscle groups and placement? not for trundle but obviously looking at it you have previous experience with human muscle location.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegathorion View Post
What kind of tablet/other accessory setup do you use?
Being it's a game studio with decent money...

Wacom Cintiq. There's really nothing else on the market that can compete.

This program is zbrush I believe, if not it's Mudbox (autodesk's repsone to Zbrush). I don't model so I don't wanna just say it's Zbrush if it really isn't.

But I'd bet all my money on wacom cintiq.

Darklightning

04-04-2013

Quote:
So once I have the high poly model, I will go ahead and do a process called "Retopologizing" we will make the model much lower polygon model that can be put in game. We also do a process "Uv Mapping" and that is the process by which we paint the colors on the model.
By chance, are you using these models to create the splash art that has many 3d elements? I'd love to find out more about that process. It's effect is amazing!

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

04-06-2013
16 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris17 View Post
@ riot grumpy monkey if you see this about how long do you think it took to remember/perfect all the muscle groups and placement? not for trundle but obviously looking at it you have previous experience with human muscle location.
Learning anatomy is a life long persuit imo. I know a few tricks but there are guys out there that blow my mind. They way I learned it was through repitition, and practice. Different bodies have different ways of forming depending on a myriad of factors. The fun part is thinking about a character and where they are from ,and why their body looks the way it does.
Once you get familiar with the large groups of muscle in a given area, you begin to understand the smaller muscles that fold in and out, and hold the form together.

ArcticSirius

04-06-2013

Thanks Grumpy Monkey, this is just the program I've been looking for to create some personal projects of mine!

TerraRising

04-06-2013

Quote:
Yeah, we changed Trundle, some people are upset, and that's totally valid, the forums are a place for you to be heard. But we gave people a free skin that looks like the old one trying our best to keep the aesthetic while holding on to the new things that we really liked. For the traditional skin, We are working on putting the poop tower back in, and there will be a few more surprises for junkyard and baseball trundle as well. I you look closely at the Junkyard skin he still has his sock on his foot.
Two problems with this statement (rehashed from every rework thread I've posted in, btw):

1) The "free" skin doesn't look like the old skin thus far. At the moment, it looks like someone really beat Kratos (God of War) with Trundle's club.

2) The skin isn't "free." I paid for it when I acquired Trundle. My "free" skin will be Mr. Generic Ice Troll Brute, which I'm not too fond of because it took a unique character and turned it into a generic fantasy caricature

I sincerely hope that the Art and Champion Departments take a real good look at the negative feedback they've been getting and adjust accordingly. Well, I'm at least hopeful that those two departments do a better job of absorbing feedback than the Marketing Department has over the past year.

Jinx the Zombie

04-06-2013

Quote:
I use a Cintiq 21ux made by a company named Wacom. I have been using one since 2006.
I can't lie, I'm more than a little jealous right now...

ChaosBurrito

04-06-2013

Thanks Grumpy Monkey for introducing me to such an awesome program! Ive been messing around with it ever since i saw this video and think its amazing... Just wish I was as good as you ;D

Chibodee Crocket

04-06-2013

Quote:
So I feel like I need to clarify a bit here as GD likes to speculate and go off sometimes. (Speculating and going off is fun btw).
So I am not just trying to figure out what Trundle looks like, I am trying to figure out what Trolls in Runterra look like. Trundle was and is the only Troll we have, and to be honest, I am not a fan of his anatomy as a Troll. He feels almost like a Goblin in my opinion. I would like him to feel a bit more powerful. I acknowledge that many of you like the "Gross" factor. I like it too. I like that He slobbers, I like that he's sort of the "Pig Pen" (peanuts reference anyone?) of the League Roster. I want you to know that Relaunch team is not going to take away your Gross Leprosy Troll with the Poop tower. But I also want you to know I am trying to make Gross Leprosy Troll Poop tower look like he can go toe to toe visually with the likes of the newer champs. I also want you to know that he does need some art love, some particle love and some animation love, and by jove, he's gonna get it! I want to keep the things that are endearing about him intact, and build upon those themes. You guys are awesome. And I really do appreciate your passion and candor.
Still waiting on a red reply to this.

aceofsween

04-06-2013

Grumpy, can you tell us what the music tracks are in this?