The Problems with Lore

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kitae

Lead Designer

04-06-2013
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongeo View Post
But if you resolve conflict, you'll have to replace the characters with compeletly different ones with the same name because the lore will be stagnate otherwise.
Not really, super heroes are a good model to see what we can do with lore. The one exception is we will never "kill" a character permanently which does happen occasionally in comics. We will potentially reboot characters though, but we provide traditional skins in that case so those who prefer the original can still play them. I think a "robin" to "nightwing" style evolution for a character might also be a cool idea too. Like what if Leona evolved to become a new champion, and a new Solari warrior took her place? Not saying we are going to do that but there is potential there.

I know there are a lot of questions re: the trundle reboot, Runaan is going to speak up about this soon she has been reading comments and questions and also conferring with the trundle reboot team.

kitae

Lead Designer

04-06-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbushIntheDark View Post
We have a year of well thought out and calm posts and nothing has changed with those either.
Big moves take time. I am sure you guys have heard of the halo movie, the mass effect movie, and the wow movie, they are all still in development. We don't plan on taking that long, but it takes time.

Right now a lot of Freljord related lore is coming out, similar to shadow isles. With that plus journals I feel comfortable saying at we are increasing out lore output for you guys, e are not where I want to be, but it is a start.

kitae

Lead Designer

04-06-2013
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolfor View Post
Kitae, I want to pop into this thread for a second just to thank you for making that post. I have long been a pretty staunch critic of your lore philosophies, but I was pleased to see that you're actually thinking about this sort of thing. My only complaint is that I feel Riot should have been done with the world-building/introduction phase long ago, but you weren't in charge then, so I guess better late than never.
I agree, we didn't anticipate how big LoL would get or how popular lore would get. We are building up the writing department so we can give you guys the quality of lore you deserve. This takes a while because we only hire awesome and experienced writers who love playing LoL but we are getting there.

AmbushIntheDark

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Big moves take time. I am sure you guys have heard of the halo movie, the mass effect movie, and the wow movie, they are all still in development. We don't plan on taking that long, but it takes time.

Right now a lot of Freljord related lore is coming out, similar to shadow isles. With that plus journals I feel comfortable saying at we are increasing out lore output for you guys, e are not where I want to be, but it is a start.
I agree its a start, but its a VERY late start. I dont see why you had to stop Judgements for over a year to do it. The new Freljord lore is new, but its not very good. Lissandra joins the ranks of having no reason to join the league and you took arguebly the best written lore in the game and retconned it into boring. What new shadow isle lore did we get? Elise (also doesnt have a reason to be in the league) was just standard lore. You shoehorned karthus into a faction and gave us information we already knew about Morde. And dont get me started on the Warwick/Soraka lore butchering that Singed hasnt recovered from.

EDIT: Regarding your movie comparison, they didnt stop making Halo, mass Effect, or WoW stories while they tried to figure out if they should do a movie.

Aacey

04-06-2013

umm can we expect to hear lore from places beyond valoran such as lokfar the glade or previously unknown places anytime soon

deusxmachina32

04-06-2013

Quote:
Not really, super heroes are a good model to see what we can do with lore. The one exception is we will never "kill" a character permanently which does happen occasionally in comics. We will potentially reboot characters though, but we provide traditional skins in that case so those who prefer the original can still play them. I think a "robin" to "nightwing" style evolution for a character might also be a cool idea too. Like what if Leona evolved to become a new champion, and a new Solari warrior took her place? Not saying we are going to do that but there is potential there.

I know there are a lot of questions re: the trundle reboot, Runaan is going to speak up about this soon she has been reading comments and questions and also conferring with the trundle reboot team.

Can you tell us what is going through the minds of the trundle reboot team at all?

AmbushIntheDark

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusxmachina32 View Post
Can you tell us what is going through the minds of the trundle reboot team??
Not a whole lot I imagine.

deusxmachina32

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbushIntheDark View Post
Not a whole lot I imagine.
lol

Vacus

04-06-2013

Quote:
I think a "robin" to "nightwing" style evolution for a character might also be a cool idea too. Like what if Leona evolved to become a new champion, and a new Solari warrior took her place? Not saying we are going to do that but there is potential there.
I just want to pop in and say I hate everything about this idea.

Birdy51

04-06-2013

Quote:
I appreciate the fact you guys are taking a look at the issue. Hopefully we can reach some kind of resolution!

12345678 ... 11