Hey Meddler since you're on, could we talk about Vlad?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotBuzzJack

04-06-2013

What was the design intent in giving Tides of Blood a stack system? Because right now it's just a thing you have to keep stacked up at all times once you get the sustain to do so, which is a bit of a nuisance honestly.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

04-06-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Vlad's development was before my time at Riot so I'd be guessing. One of its big functions though is giving his damage a ramping component, which limits his initial impact on a fight/rewards longer engagement. That ties in well with the rest of his playstyle given his sustain, delayed payoff ult, bit of tankiness via his passive and temporary untargetability.

Dynamod123

04-06-2013

well that was fast

Korass

04-06-2013

Yeah Meddler is awesome.

MTempty

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Vlad's development was before my time at Riot so I'd be guessing. One of its big functions though is giving his damage a ramping component, which limits his initial impact on a fight/rewards longer engagement. That ties in well with the rest of his playstyle given his sustain, delayed payoff ult, bit of tankiness via his passive and temporary untargetability.
Do you have any ideas/plans for another non-serious champ? I liked Zac a lot and was wondering if we could get another one. that joke... was fantastic.

Rauron

04-06-2013

Quote:
This does sort of justify his initial design, assuming an environment of prolonged teamfights with his sustainability being enough to keep him alive in the middle of everything. However, his ability to self-heal has been nerfed repeatedly (justifiably so), and he is a rather squishy mage. His pool is strong, but doesn't last long enough to let him ramp up stacks in a fight, let alone keep using that ability to actually -use- those stacks.

I agree with the OP; right now, you just sort of keep max stats after like 15 minutes, and it's tedious without ever feeling like there's a payoff.

NotBuzzJack

04-06-2013

Well the ramping component is always fully ramped up, as the ideal way to use it is having it fully stacked before a big fight.

I would love it if you or another designer could do some work on it, because spamming tides of blood every 5 seconds while roaming around the map is just annoying.

Zyrelia

04-06-2013

The tides of blood is not good to keep 'stacked' early game by just spamming it on nothing. You will run out of HP super quick and end up gimping yourself. There is a tradeoff here, but I think it's a fair design in his kit.

NotBuzzJack

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyrelia View Post
The tides of blood is not good to keep 'stacked' early game by just spamming it on nothing. You will run out of HP super quick and end up gimping yourself. There is a tradeoff here, but I think it's a fair design in his kit.
But this tradeoff is pretty much nullified once you get spellvamp, and then not having it fully stacked is suboptimal as a result.

questir

04-06-2013

Quote:
Meddler i know the balance team and Morello hates Vlad and you guys had a hard time balancing him. But i was wondering if you guys could give him some QoL changes now that he ain't considered a top tier pick since S2 and his win ratio never goes up from 50%. I was thinking few of them like:

-Improving AA animation like you did with Ryze a time ago along with his rework

-Let him cancel out of sanguine pool whenever he wants. He's pretty much unable to use any spell while in his pool and this would allow him to dodge spells and quickly be able to counter attack, instead of having to linger around in his pool until it ends

-Bring back the old MS he gained while he was on pool form (He really need this on League of mobility creep)

-Remove the cast time from Q or E, just one of them (Again this could be really useful with all the mobility creep nowadays)

Just some changes you guys could use for him without buffing directly his numbers