@Riot: Lissandra's 'Freezing' Abilities

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Solemn

04-05-2013

Hey there, everyone!

After having had the little geek-out that most have after the announcement of a new champion, and after going through the videos that have been made of her kit so far, I must say that I'm really enjoying this new crowd control-based champ. I completely intend to pick her up once she finds her way into the store - but there's just one thing that bothers me about her skillset.

Here's the deal: if Lissandra is supposed to be able to freeze her enemies, why do their models still move after she's used her Ring of Frost or Frozen Tomb?

For instance, let's look at the description for her ultimate.

-/-

Frozen Tomb [R]

On Enemy Cast: Freezes target champion solid, stunning it for 1.5 seconds.

On Self Cast: Lissandra encases herself in dark ice for 1.5 seconds, becoming untargetable and invulnerable but unable to take any actions.

-/-

There's the problem - it's supposed to freeze the champion solid. This is accomplished rather well when she casts it on herself - you get a nice little glacial monument that looks absolutely cool in the time that the ult lasts, with a frozen character model inside. But when she casts it on another person, they're still moving.

This doesn't seem very much like an Ice Witch, really - while I can understand that her Ring of Frost is a ground-based root, and thus can get away with leaving the enemy model in 'idle' mode, I'd imagined the ultimate giving that sort of 'freezing' effect that Viktor's Gravity Well does when someone stays in it for long enough. Besides, the name of the ability itself - Frozen Tomb - kind of gives the idea that you'd be completely locked into a block of ice, unable to make a move - if there's suddenly an armchair and cable within the thing, that kind of draws away from her aesthetic.

While I understand that the character's in beta-testing (and took a lot of effort to make), do you think that someone might take just a moment longer and have the ult take a page out of Viktor's book and completely freeze the character model? I'm sure that this extra detail would be appreciated!

TL;DR:

Lissandra's ult and/or W might look better if it froze the character models as well as rooting them in place - she is a master of ice, after all.

Thanks!

Wafflesaurous

04-05-2013

Yes please.

Mr Solemn

04-05-2013

Bump.

Narssisstic

04-05-2013

If she freezes Brand in place, can he turn into a column/pillar of fire like in his lore?

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

04-05-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Good call on the ult, I'll look into whether there's any issues with doing that, rather than just applying the stun effect but allowing ongoing animations to continue as at present.

DarkLiquidDeath

04-05-2013

Bump

Mr Solemn

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narssisstic View Post
If she freezes Brand in place, can he turn into a column/pillar of fire like in his lore?
Who knows? Maybe there'll be steam if it happens...

KiyoSpirit

04-05-2013

Put this on PBE forums

Mr Solemn

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Good call on the ult, I'll look into whether there's any issues with doing that, rather than just applying the stun effect but allowing ongoing animations to continue as at present.
Thanks, Meddler - much obliged!

And now I'm glad that I stayed up that extra hour. ^^;

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

04-05-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnIllusions View Post
Thanks, Meddler - much obliged!

And now I'm glad that I stayed up that extra hour. ^^;
Welcome, and thanks for the suggestion!