I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

woopyfrood

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The Empire gave some fascinating insight to a vast universe oppressed by a harsh regime, but I cared more about whether Han and Chewy were going to make the jump to hyperspace.
I care more about Trundle being a shunned martyr and finally having a home in the league, than I do about his exploits in the Freljord as the Ice Witch's scheming muscle.

SasakitheCouncil

04-04-2013

Quote:
Like I said in many previous threads, this isn't about assigning specific factions for every champion, it's creating relationships. Relationships. That's the key here.
I'm all for linking people to the world, but a lot of times it feels like the lore team is just name-dropping in people or places to artificially do this.

Key examples of this are Hecarim, Jayce, Fiora, and a lot of the Shadow Island lore redo's,

Tejesh

04-04-2013

Quote:
I'm not going to speak for Creative but I believe in the value of personal inter-character stories than one driven by a monolithic political force. The Empire gave some fascinating insight to a vast universe oppressed by a harsh regime, but I cared more about whether Han and Chewy were going to make the jump to hyperspace.
Which, of course, they never did

MyDeadGrandma

04-04-2013

Tbh, I'm finding the 'join league because politics' is overdone. I like Maokai/Skarner/Nocturne background that are the direct result of humanity's (summoners in particular) hubris.

Vialley

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrrion View Post
His story was already complete.

Think about it. He is raised as the runt of the clan and is bullied. He takes the plague/curse for the entire tribe and gradually becomes an outcast. He comes to the League to find a cure for it, but as soon as he gets there the summoner's are just like "Yeah bro, we can do that easily. It's just that plague is pretty much the only thing keeping you alive.". So Trundle shrugs, keeps the plague/curse willingly and lets his old clan die out.

What more can he have done honestly? He's irrelevant to any political conflict (which is the basis for the League). He's got no where to go personally, in the end of his judgement he even says himself "It seems this is the 'cure' I was looking for after all.". What does the Cursed Troll do if he doesn't even consider himself cursed anymore? He's literally got no motivation for anything. He's only in the League because he's got nowhere else to go.

Edit- For other "completed champions".
Doesn't it suck that they have nothing to do? I would love to see Fizz take a pro-active role in the story. Same with Nami + Nautilus. Those three could all be related somehow. The thing that pulled Nautilus down into the ocean is the same force that threatens Nami's people and wiped out Fizz's race. Given that Nami needs the moonstone (and Ironstylus hinted that she has some upcoming interactions with Diana, if I recall correctly), this could easily tie up into a story that threatens Bilgewater (and then directly the rest of Valoran).

Trundle could never really have that option other than "I'm just here to help broski". There might be some other champions that suffer from this same thing, but not to the same degree as Trundle in my opinion.
Noxus gets trundle to learn about his regen power so they can try to use it for there army or something lol easy.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
15 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
I care more about Trundle being a shunned martyr and finally having a home in the league, than I do about his exploits in the Freljord as the Ice Witch's scheming muscle.
I care more about the potential of a crazy Trundle potentially backstabbing the Ice Witch or doing some other cowboy move. I find that fresh and open end that he now has a liberating opportunity for him to cause some real mischief.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
16 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
Tbh, I'm finding the 'join league because politics' is overdone. I like Maokai/Skarner/Nocturne background that are the direct result of humanity's (summoners in particular) hubris.
Likewise, I'd rather know a faction, group, or area through the stories of it's people than being it told to me by some history book.

MyDeadGrandma

04-04-2013

Quote:
I care more about the potential of a crazy Trundle potentially backstabbing the Ice Witch or doing some other cowboy move. I find that fresh and open end that he now has a liberating opportunity for him to cause some real mischief.
Anything double dealing that could be thought up could be done infinitely better with Noxus. Really frustrated the JoJ was left hanging with Swain's takeover that he planned all along.

Jinx the Zombie

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
I get why it would feel like old hat, but the League is meant to be political in nature. It's supposed to be the place where unavoidable conflicts are taken in order to prevent them escalating into full fledged warfare. Because of that it makes plenty of sense that the vast majority of those who joined the League did so under political pretenses.

But you are right in that unaligned fringe characters have a place. It makes just as much sense that there would be a number of summoners who summon unaligned champions like the aforementioned Maokai/Skarner/Nocturne, champions who are frequently forced to join in order to protect Valoran's citizenry if they haven't joined for reasons of their own.

Ahses

04-04-2013

Why does a character having an incomplete story matter? Riot hasn't done anything to advance the "Story" since the Noxus vs. Ionia fight. With the death of the JoJ came the death of any lore that wasn't pantsu on head retarded. A character could have no real backstory (like some of them don't) and it would be irrelevant because the only people who cared either left or were fired.