I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucariolu

Recruiter

04-04-2013

i hope the nami- diana interaction has something to do with her ult becoming mapwide and destroying the enemy nexus if diana is in either team~

Hellioning

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Like I said in many previous threads, this isn't about assigning specific factions for every champion, it's creating relationships. Relationships. That's the key here.

Diana and Leona aren't factionally aligned, but they are regionally aligned with eathother, Pantheon and any other Mt Targon champions. Factions, geographical locations, etc, are all mechanisms to drive engagement with other characters. Sometimes existing champions lack those mechanisms to further development.

There needs to be some anchor binding them to the world or else there is no reason for them to affect it. Those anchors can be a family tie, hailing from a particular region, belonging to a religion, anything that allows an action they take to potentially change the world.
But they're not affecting it. Nothing is happening. There hasn't been lore in a while.

I imagine this and the Quinn thing are hints they're stating it back up, it just hurts they feel they have to retcon so much in order to make lore happen.

Melting City

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

"Time to Troll"
RIP you sweet troll
2010 - 2013
Gone but not forgotten

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-05-2013
7 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
There hasn't been lore in a while.
*Looks around at: Howling Abyss, Lissandra, Sejuani, Trundle, Quinn journals, Zac lab reports..*

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

Xitemo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrrion View Post

Edit- For other "completed champions".
Doesn't it suck that they have nothing to do? I would love to see Fizz take a pro-active role in the story. Same with Nami + Nautilus. Those three could all be related somehow. The thing that pulled Nautilus down into the ocean is the same force that threatens Nami's people and wiped out Fizz's race. Given that Nami needs the moonstone (and Ironstylus hinted that she has some upcoming interactions with Diana, if I recall correctly), this could easily tie up into a story that threatens Bilgewater (and then directly the rest of Valoran).
I was just thinking that about Nautilus this morning D: He's one of my favorite champs but he sort of feels out of place?

Cronovey

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibodee Crocket View Post
Leona and Diana lore change then please. They need to belong to major faction, please gut their lore like you did Trundles.
Except this response makes no sense.

These are the exact definition of fringe characters; they aren't allied with any particular political source, but do have connections with existing champions and are centralized to a location even if not allied openly with others.

Pantheon and Leona are intertwined due to their upbringing, and Diana and Leona are intertwined due to their beliefs.

This is more similar to the Void champions; does Kog'maw have an allegiance to a nation? No, he doesn't. But he's connected to the League through Malzahar. Similarly, other champions from the Void. Kassadin is connected to these champions through what he saw, Cho'gath and Kha'zix are both Void-born creatures, and though none of them have lore ties ins with each other, they are all connected to a location if not an allegiance, which allows their story to expand.

Trundle's former lore had no affiliation and also lacked a central location from which he hailed from, which really left his story with nowhere to go.

[Edit]

Quote:
*Looks around at: Howling Abyss, Lissandra, Sejuani, Trundle, Quinn journals, Zac lab reports..*

Not to mention the new Anivia and Volibear lore currently on the PBE, or the lore tie in between Quinn and Talon implying another assassin that is not Talon on the loose, the Nami/moonstone/Diana triangle potentially going on, or Vi's recent tie in with Caitlyn in her lore as well!

[Edit 2]

And you want a champion who you can compare to Trundle? Look at Fiddlesticks. His lore literally just leaves him nowhere to go.

Chakun42

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogz View Post
The involvement between characters makes certain moments, like a Rengar vs Kha'Zix lane, much more enjoyable and immersive if you're aware of the story behind it. I hope we see more specific taunts/in-game nods to allegiances and rivalries.
Those are the things that get me excited. And I applaud Riot for taking the time to add those details into the game. I didn't know until recently that Caitlin and Vi have their own little trigger. After hearing about I got more interested in reading more about their lore.

One player might see a useless buff icon, I see it as "Oh, it's personal now."

Keep up the great work!

Hellioning

04-05-2013

Quote:

Yeah, I meant before that. So we get Quinn's journals and Zac's lab reports, and then RETCONS.

Well, actually, Soraka's lore got changed. And Mordekaiser and Karthus got their lore's changed in the shadow isle event...

None of them have been this drastic, however.

SkyBearDrop

04-05-2013

Are we going to see more lore about the Void? We've seen champions from it recently (Kha'Zix) but nothing that will connect how Malzahar and Kassadin relate to it, what is this impending darkness that's supposed to come from the void?

Darkwahn

04-05-2013

Quote:

Are there any plans to make some tiny lore related gameplay things? (You could consider the new map to be so, but that's not really what I mean.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBearDrop View Post
Are we going to see more lore about the Void? We've seen champions from it recently (Kha'Zix) but nothing that will connect how Malzahar and Kassadin relate to it, what is this impending darkness that's supposed to come from the void?
I'd be so happy to see anything Kass related. Maybe the void will get a big thing like freljord is at some point?