I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Fringe is different than one-off. Having characters in the periphery is absolutely fine. We need those contrasts. Not everyone is going to be aligned in an official or ideological sense, but we have to reduce the occurrence of characters that might as well not be part of the universe do to their origins or circumstances.
Why?

Seriously, why? Why is it neccesary to do so?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
3 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibodee Crocket View Post
Leona and Diana lore change then please. They need to belong to major faction, please gut their lore like you did Trundles.
Like I said in many previous threads, this isn't about assigning specific factions for every champion, it's creating relationships. Relationships. That's the key here.

Diana and Leona aren't factionally aligned, but they are regionally aligned with eathother, Pantheon and any other Mt Targon champions. Factions, geographical locations, etc, are all mechanisms to drive engagement with other characters. Sometimes existing champions lack those mechanisms to further development.

There needs to be some anchor binding them to the world or else there is no reason for them to affect it. Those anchors can be a family tie, hailing from a particular region, belonging to a religion, anything that allows an action they take to potentially change the world.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
4 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Why?

Seriously, why? Why is it neccesary to do so?
See above.

FuYA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2013

I honestly think they could have just added Some Lore to Trundle. So that he became one of the current champions Best Friend, that helps him in everything. Trundle becomes attached because he is so alone. And that guy is part of the whole faction thing, and that Puts Trundle on the fringe of things....

Changing him to be somebody completely new is just wierd.

YoshioPeePee

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post

I could see Taric's background getting a similar treatment--he might no longer be at home, but magic has wasted the Crystal Scar. I could see him moving to represent the Kalamandan banner. Speaking of which, that MIGHT be a cool area for a true earth mage to come from...

adding a Crystal Scar/Kalamanda element to Taric would be very interesting and appropriate, but if his origins are messed with too much i might cry

i am very attached to taric's current lore maybe more than any other champion, in a perfect world i would just add 2 paragraphs onto his lore about this but not change anything else. Though it may not have been possible with Trundle, Taric is someone who i feel can be added to without subtracting any of the old stuff

it makes alot of sense for him to more closely ally himself with Kalamanda since the events of the crystal scar. I'll just point out that this potential new element (which I honestly really like) can work without him having to be from there

didn't think I'd be down for any changes to Taric at all but this could open him up a bit more without sacrificing his unique charm

Gorteks

04-04-2013

The involvement between characters makes certain moments, like a Rengar vs Kha'Zix lane, much more enjoyable and immersive if you're aware of the story behind it. I hope we see more specific taunts/in-game nods to allegiances and rivalries.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
5 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogz View Post
The involvement between characters makes certain moments, like a Rengar vs Kha'Zix lane, much more enjoyable and immersive if you're aware of the story behind it. I hope we see more specific taunts/in-game nods to allegiances and rivalries.
I personally would like us to pursue such interactions.

Tortferngatr

04-04-2013

Quote:
Like I said in many previous threads, this isn't about assigning specific factions for every champion, it's creating relationships. Relationships. That's the key here.

Diana and Leona aren't factionally aligned, but they are regionally aligned with eathother, Pantheon and any other Mt Targon champions. Factions, geographical locations, etc, are all mechanisms to drive engagement with other characters. Sometimes existing champions lack those mechanisms to further development.

There needs to be some anchor binding them to the world or else there is no reason for them to affect it. Those anchors can be a family tie, hailing from a particular region, belonging to a religion, anything that allows an action they take to potentially change the world.
Hmm.

...This doesn't rule out an Avatar: TLA-inspired earth-wielding martial artist coming from Kalamanda to level Demacia and Noxus alike, right?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

04-04-2013
6 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Hmm.

...This doesn't rule out an Avatar: TLA-inspired earth-wielding martial artist coming from Kalamanda to level Demacia and Noxus alike, right?
Ship it.

Gorteks

04-04-2013

Quote:
I personally would like us to pursue such interactions.
It's one thing I think Dota 2 does quite well.

Zapping an enemy and hearing your character comment on it is so satisfying.