[guide] Dr. Glock AKA Gankplank AKA Winbeard

1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoctorZoidberg

12-05-2009

Im sorry Mr. Condon ill never go against your guide ever again!

kaodynamics

12-05-2009

A warning, you going to need quite a few mid game kills compared to deaths to get this rolling. The reason being is that affording infinities edge is going to be hard. This build works a tad better pre-parley nerf.

condon

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaodynamics View Post
A warning, you going to need quite a few mid game kills compared to deaths to get this rolling. The reason being is that affording infinities edge is going to be hard. This build works a tad better pre-parley nerf.
A nerf is just another way for the Devs to say "You make this look too easy. I feel bad for all the non-awesome people you are steamrolling"

I take it as a compliment.

Yarr.

Thielyn

12-05-2009

Do you know if the Archaic Knowledge mastery works with parrrley since parley does magic damage, or is parley a normal skill with magic damage rather than a magic spell.

Drfuzzykins

12-05-2009

This guide is highly entertaining and I read the whole thing for that reason, but I'm just not liking the build. Sheen adds your attack damage to Parrley which is wonderful and all, but with Plank's high movement speed you really do get the chance to melee a lot for tons of damage. Trinity Force seems pointless, with only about half the stats helping him, and 25% chance to slow with Parrley being pretty sad.

I much prefer the gp5 build: Philo > Avarice x2/3 > Infinity Edge > Frozen Mallet > Atma's > Phantom Dancer. You'll be rocking a cool 80% crit chance mid-late game. Highest I've gotten is a 98% crit chance (when I got so fed I managed to make it to the Dancer) so far. Stack up the crit damage runes, and there's no way your build outdamages it. Possible that individual Parrleys will hit harder, but they'll crit less often, and your melee attacks will be much weaker. And melee attacks DO rape on lategame Gangplank, it's not all Q and R.

EDIT: I also REALLY want to put Sword of the Occult into a critplank build, but I just can't fit it there...

condon

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfuzzykins View Post
This guide is highly entertaining and I read the whole thing for that reason, but I'm just not liking the build. Sheen adds your attack damage to Parrley which is wonderful and all, but with Plank's high movement speed you really do get the chance to melee a lot for tons of damage. Trinity Force seems pointless, with only about half the stats helping him, and 25% chance to slow with Parrley being pretty sad.

I much prefer the gp5 build: Philo > Avarice x2/3 > Infinity Edge > Frozen Mallet > Atma's > Phantom Dancer. You'll be rocking a cool 80% crit chance mid-late game. Highest I've gotten is a 98% crit chance (when I got so fed I managed to make it to the Dancer) so far. Stack up the crit damage runes, and there's no way your build outdamages it. Possible that individual Parrleys will hit harder, but they'll crit less often, and your melee attacks will be much weaker. And melee attacks DO rape on lategame Gangplank, it's not all Q and R.

EDIT: I also REALLY want to put Sword of the Occult into a critplank build, but I just can't fit it there...
I agree with you on the sword, it's tempting, but I don't know where to squeeze it in. As to the critplank, and the speak of being able to carry better, you'll note that I spoke of late game turning into a scary melee carry. I tend to rely on the bloodthirster(s) and the extra survivability from the trinity for that end. I focus more on beefing up to the infinity edge asap so your parrrlay is overpowered early-mid game, and then just sweeping through end game because you're too god **** huge to stand toe to toe with. The 25% slow is, I find, generally enough. You should have insane attack and move speed as pirate, regardless of build, and generally speaking I find myself needed to do damage more than toss out slows and stuns. The cost of the hammer vs completing the trinity just isn't doing it for me.

Of course, as always, to each their own. I'd be interested to see how critplank fares against winbeard.

Drfuzzykins

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by condon View Post
Of course, as always, to each their own. I'd be interested to see how critplank fares against winbeard.
Truth. I plan on playing some Winbeard to see how it is personally, especially since I used to build him with sheen during beta and loved it. As for getting Infinity Edge asap, btw, I nab it somewhere between 25-30 minutes as critplank, depending on how many kills I've managed to get, and I don't have Sheen, but I do have a very large crit chance already.

condon

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfuzzykins View Post
Truth. I plan on playing some Winbeard to see how it is personally, especially since I used to build him with sheen during beta and loved it. As for getting Infinity Edge asap, btw, I nab it somewhere between 25-30 minutes as critplank, depending on how many kills I've managed to get, and I don't have Sheen, but I do have a very large crit chance already.
Exactly why I put such stress on using parrrlay to get creep kills early. Farming is the name of the game till 15 minutes in.

kaodynamics

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by condon View Post
A nerf is just another way for the Devs to say "You make this look too easy. I feel bad for all the non-awesome people you are steamrolling"

I take it as a compliment.

Yarr.
Lol, when they nerfed parley (and I had no runes) I was like "something missing, why is infinities taking so long!", than I started a new build that I find pretty cheese but is too funny. Sheen is interesting I'll going to test it out, buying it after infinities edge.

Waves

12-05-2009

I'm not sure whether to feel ashamed about this report or enligtened:

Their team:
Uber (30+ kill) fed jax:
Ashe
That dam evil child
Teemo (afk at one point)
AFK entire game Singed

Ours:
Captin Winbeard (mee)
Ryze (MVP vs Jax lategame with my help)
Nunu
Kat
Feeder clock guy

Game starts, a minute in, FIRST BLOOD JAX. Oh boy... it just keeps going like that, even after we make their Singed rage quit the rest of the game. To ignore a painful early game/mid game (well for most of my allies except Ryze and me) of Jax just gettin uber fed and COMPLEATING all of his items by the end of mid game.

He could have won the game then and there, but we were all having to much fun (hey i found it epic that it took 5 of us at that point to kill him with jax still getting 2+ kills >.> we could wreck the rest of his team), so they never made an official push until we began to be able to super gang him every time.

So a few pushes and super gangs later, 1 inhib left on our side. However their teemo goes AFK and their Ashe discs for about 3 mins. Still even with 2 v 5 he and the super minions keep us in the base until their teemo returns.

They go do baron while we defend and come OMG rushing in and target Ryze (who laughs at Jax's dodge) so a stun and a 1.8 parrrley crit/alot of regular crits later Jax goes down and we murder Teemo and the evil child. No baron 4 u.

Ashe returns at this point and our inhibs respawn. They make another push killing the clock guy (again) and nearly killing an inhib before we jump on jax (no pun intended XD). With Ryze's stun/magic and my every crit attack/parrley Jax just keeps going down.

We push em to their base for one final fight VS Jax and friends, with us teh victor! 800+ normal crits and 1.5k+ parrley crits HURT, especially when Jax was stunned (even though he dodge mores then half of my bloody attacks/parrleys)

So as I said, not sure whether to feel happy or ashamed of this game XD. Ended with about 22-11-19 or somthing like that. Jax was at least double my kills by the end as well (shudder, so much Jaxownage...)

NOTE: Parrley critting teemo for 1.8k killing him is ever so satisfying, do it as often as you can.

Moral of the story, dont ever not crush the winbeard when hes down, or he'll alt tab, look up the items from this guide and WTFPWN you!

(Trinity Force, Phantom dancer, B.F. sword, Infinity edge, bloodthirster, i sold the boots of mob, u just dont need them after trinity and phantom dancer)

1234567 ... 13