Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Basilisk1991

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenArk View Post
I really liked Trundle's lore and judgement.

I'm sad to see it go..
He had a tribe and a curse which caused him to rot constantly, and he joined the league to find a cure...not a bad story but as Morello said it kind of left him floating in a lore void, it's not that he COULDN'T do anything, just that his current lore doesn't really connect to anyone else in any meaningful way. Also does this mean his particles are going to get an update?

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk1991 View Post
He had a tribe and a curse which caused him to rot constantly, and he joined the league to find a cure...not a bad story but as Morello said it kind of left him floating in a lore void, it's not that he COULDN'T do anything, just that his current lore doesn't really connect to anyone else in any meaningful way. Also does this mean his particles are going to get an update?
I'm not sure where you're going here. I guess you somewhat agree with Riot's position since you can see where they're coming from? They created the lore void themselves. As I mentioned in an old page, location really has nothing to do with it since the League of Legends was often a meeting ground for many champions. It's easy to picture Trundle, say, connecting with Skarner on the basis of self-sacrifice for their kind and still feeling lonely despite what sacrifices they made. Much like it was easy to see Malphite and Maokai strike up an odd sort of respect/friendship based off their existence. He wasn't popular, so they didn't invest the time.

His particles amongst other things are receiving an update, yes.

deusxmachina32

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
Also, if this "HE WASN'T A PART OF ANY BIGGER FACTION" thing is the argument that's going to be thrown about, then I guess Ahri, Alistar, Amumu, Annie, Brand, Fiddlesticks, Fizz, Gragas, Jax, Kayle, Malphite, Maokai, Morgana, Nami, Nasus, Nautilus, Nidalee, Nocturne, Rammus, Renekton, Rengar, Ryze, Shaco, Skarner, Sona, Soraka, Syndra, Taric, Vayne, Veigar, Viktor, Vlad, Wukong, Xerath, Zilean, and Zyra are all in for "updates"?

While defined factions are cool, consolidating needlessly instead of finding ways to establish connective tissue (like with Maokai/Malphite, Amumu/Annie, etc.) stifles creativity. Some sort of narrative structure is good and creates a foundation for functional creativity to exist and be enriched by context, but needless self-imposed easy-way-out constraints ends up driving things into the ground more often than not.
ItemsGuy, I must complement you on your eloquence.
You are awesome!

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2013

Quote:
Also, if this "HE WASN'T A PART OF ANY BIGGER FACTION" thing is the argument that's going to be thrown about, then I guess Ahri, Alistar, Amumu, Annie, Brand, Fiddlesticks, Fizz, Gragas, Jax, Kayle, Malphite, Maokai, Morgana, Nami, Nasus, Nautilus, Nidalee, Nocturne, Rammus, Renekton, Rengar, Ryze, Shaco, Skarner, Sona, Soraka, Syndra, Taric, Vayne, Veigar, Viktor, Vlad, Wukong, Xerath, Zilean, and Zyra are all in for "updates"?

While defined factions are cool, consolidating needlessly instead of finding ways to establish connective tissue (like with Maokai/Malphite, Amumu/Annie, etc.) stifles creativity. Some sort of narrative structure is good and creates a foundation for functional creativity to exist and be enriched by context, but needless self-imposed easy-way-out constraints ends up driving things into the ground more often than not.
You make a key point with the bolded (not ignoring the obviously very long list of non-faction focused champions). The situation is very hypocritical from a lore angle. If anyone follows the Q&A sessions, they will often not answer certain questions or tease only in response because they want fans to think of possibilities and make the story a bit more of their own now.

Yet, they're saying Trundle posed a unique problem (ignoring the above counter-examples) and ignored both the fact they could have made stories while also ignoring that fans had made an attachment and considered stories themselves. I know it's somewhat a case of beating a dead horse with mentioning that Morello's comments are fairly standard PR tactics and there's an error in using that as a justification. But I'm still quite angry over this matter.

Kamakazi Pope

03-28-2013

As for his lore they could connect him. People seem to forget that yes he took the burden of the Tribe who then turn there back on him after. Yes he did the same by not returning the curse since they are dieing without it do to giving trundle there regeneration. That being said they had the Necromancer, that had a name. They could have brought him back from the dead if i remember right they killed him. Or there home was between Noxus and the Frozen noth which there tribe ransacked vileges in Noxian territory. There is singed how is a chemist who could have wanted to capture Trundle design a weapon to unleash a plague on Demacia. Making Trundle a valuable target and thrown in with the Noxus and Demacian war. BAM you Could have a resurrected necromancer or ghost necro champ and a continuing lore that could introduce him further into the strife of Ruintarras wars.

Apocagenocitis

03-28-2013

Im glad to see people still are fighting against the trundle lore change in this thread even though Freljord IV was posted.

Shadow Racoon

03-28-2013

Quote:

This is day-in and day-out a massively well constructed point and post. And yet another in the at least half a dozen reasons why this "update" should not happen to even a fraction of the extent that it is. Riot is making garbage up and ruining inspired, decent characters for...what reason again? To make everyone who bought them due to the uniqueness that they represented exceedingly disappointed?

I guess Riot wants to get WoW money with their WoW troll. Because being unique and memorable is much less desirable than being another tired cliche in the pile. Simply put, it's becoming more and more clear that Riot has disconnected from the players who value anything other than elo and "e-sports", and cares absolutely nothing about the integrity of their character base. And what's the point in growing attached and liking -any- character if it becomes clear that at a moment's notice that character will undergo a massive change because someone with a red name thought it would be "cool"?

Imagine if in "Return of the Jedi", Luke picked up a mini-gun and started mowing down enemy insurgents in the jungle, shirtless, in a red bandana screaming about Adrien and how he's the law. Oh yeah sure, it's Luke. After all, George Lucas said it was in official lore. But is it the Luke we care even slightly for, or have come to care for as a character? Not at all.

So ditch the craphouse ice-troll idea and keep Trundle pure.

BarbieRitz

03-28-2013

I wish these weren't posts, even though I love them! I really wish something like the journal of justice came back in the league client. I also wish that the map of Valoran was much more interactive. just throwing my ideas out there :P

Galgus

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocagenocitis View Post
Im glad to see people still are fighting against the trundle lore change in this thread even though Freljord IV was posted.
Of course we are, this is by far the more Trundle relevant thread.

Galgus

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
eh. its pretty good lore. i liked it. but it doesnt feel right to me when i play him. his lore makes him heroic. its like eating cereal with buffalo sauce instead of milk. ur not supposed to feel heroic when ur playing as a troll. ur supposed to feel like ur playing a caveman like brute who just beats people for no good reason.
You seem to be missing the entire point: Trundle's lore purposefully broke stereotypes to explore a theme.

It is about a hero who was shunned, and it contrasts with all of the standard League heroic characters that are honored by their people.

Trundle's lore is about people refusing to look past his revolting appearance and see the soul inside.

Its also about Trundle's deep, though perhaps not openly admitted desire to be accepted ; and manages to "humanize" him, if I may use the term, more than most champions on the roster.

But you would probably prefer that Riot follow every cliche to the letter and never explore an interesting idea.