Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkirrLocal View Post
So those who want Old Trundle have Traditional Skin. And those who want new Trundle have new skin. Trundle's gotten some fixes apparently -- having his abilities cleaned up which everyone wanted, and his story has evolved. What's there to ***** about?
traditional skin doesn't looks like traditional trundle int he least, it looks like a WoW troll. Seriously, just look at it. His lore has lielly been entirely thrown out, his old character thrown out and probably all his graphics rpelaced with quickly getting overused in lol ice. His old contamination setting was pretty cool, now he is going to look generic. Its not like the karma remake, this is an entirely new character so yea...trundle fans are upset.

I really don't think he needed a lore, or visual overhaul, he needed his kit fixed. Instead they are deleting him and adding a new troll with the same name.

Again, traditional skin is a joke, it doesn't remind me of trundle in the least..


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FurryKittenSoup

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmileyy View Post
traditional skin doesn't looks like traditional trundle int he least, it looks like a WoW troll. Seriously, just look at it. His lore has lielly been entirely thrown out, his old character thrown out and probably all his graphics rpelaced with quickly getting overused in lol ice. His old contamination setting was pretty cool, now he is going to look generic. Its not like the karma remake, this is an entirely new character so yea...trundle fans are upset.

I really don't think he needed a lore, or visual overhaul, he needed his kit fixed. Instead they are deleting him and adding a new troll with the same name.

Again, traditional skin is a joke, it doesn't remind me of trundle in the least..
New trundle gonna be so much better though. I can feel it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
New trundle gonna be so much better though. I can feel it.
game-wise? I bet he is, he needed it.

I just don't see why they trashed his old lore and character ENTIRELY and made his normal skin look like a mishappen olaf and his "traditional" look like a WoW troll and removed his unique element. Mechanically I'm sure he will be far better but why on earth did they ahve to make him so mechanically GENERIC to the max.

Also I'm worried about what they are gonna do to junkyard trundle, I loved the reference in the skin and I bet its just gonna get replaced by something...if these two skins are anything to speak, probably something boring.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperiorZephyr

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatedTitan View Post
Ughhh! IF YOU'RE GOING TO SAY THAT HE'S BASICALLY A COMPLETELY NEW CHAMPION, THEN JUST MAKE HIM A NEW CHAMPION!!!! There is NO reason to get rid of what Trundle is. Just make him some new troll from Frejlord. It doesn't have to be Trundle. Don't do this Riot. This is a poor excuse to get rid of my favorite character.

I literally want to just punch something right now because of my frustration. All I keep seeing from Red posts is "wait until its on PBE because by that time we can say 'suck it we're not changing it too bad so sad go cry in a corner'"...I thought Riot cared about their community. Apparently they care more about the players who don't play a champ than those who do.

And I swear if you make Lil' Slugger Trundle ice-themed I'll be getting a refund before you can say "Riot sucks."
While it's nice that you are so vocal about your feelings perhaps you should change some things to be taken more seriously. Riot wanted to make things more cohesive and involve Trundle in more lore and by doing so get him involved. Honestly if all you are concerned about is looks then maybe you should ask about if a traditional/pre-relaunch skin is possible .

My question is that now that trundle has moved out of the gross thing no one likes niche, will there be /is there something planned to fill it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
New trundle gonna be so much better though. I can feel it.
"New Trundle [is] gonna be so much different though."

Apples and oranges.

If you think the new Trundle is better (in terms of aesthetics etc.), that just means that you prefer what the new one has to offer, moreso than you prefer what the old one had to offer. Neither is "better," they just bring different qualities to the table.

The problem, here, is that people liked what old Trundle had to offer (grossness, "disease" theming, runty appearance, underdog status, scrappy/gutsy attitude to match his appearance and gameplay, etc.), and there is no champion (existing or mentioned to be a future release) that fills that void--and with new Trundle, everything he brings to the table is already there ("ice" theming, brawn, etc.).

Players that like what the old Trundle had are disappointed because they will no longer have access to it, and players that like the new Trundle are basically getting a sample platter of things they already have access to.

The new Trundle isn't bad by any means, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing him as a new character (with gameplay more closely reflecting his appearance and status--whereas now he has old Trundle's table-turner gameplay slapped onto an unfitting form), but he represents the loss of something valued, which is why people are making noise about it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
"New Trundle [is] gonna be so much different though."

Apples and oranges.

If you think the new Trundle is better (in terms of aesthetics etc.), that just means that you prefer what the new one has to offer, moreso than you prefer what the old one had to offer. Neither is "better," they just bring different qualities to the table.

The problem, here, is that people liked what old Trundle had to offer (grossness, "disease" theming, runty appearance, underdog status, scrappy/gutsy attitude to match his appearance and gameplay, etc.), and there is no champion (existing or mentioned to be a future release) that fills that void--and with new Trundle, everything he brings to the table is already there ("ice" theming, brawn, etc.).

Players that like what the old Trundle had are disappointed because they will no longer have access to it, and players that like the new Trundle are basically getting a sample platter of things they already have access to.

The new Trundle isn't bad by any means, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing him as a new character (with gameplay more closely reflecting his appearance and status--whereas now he has old Trundle's table-turner gameplay slapped onto an unfitting form), but he represents the loss of something valued, which is why people are making noise about it.
This pretty much, I'm bad with words. They removed everything old trundle brought visually and characteristically and replaced it with something we already have a lot of...and there is no champion replace that missing spot now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FurryKittenSoup

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmileyy View Post
game-wise? I bet he is, he needed it.

I just don't see why they trashed his old lore and character ENTIRELY and made his normal skin look like a mishappen olaf and his "traditional" look like a WoW troll and removed his unique element. Mechanically I'm sure he will be far better but why on earth did they ahve to make him so mechanically GENERIC to the max.

Also I'm worried about what they are gonna do to junkyard trundle, I loved the reference in the skin and I bet its just gonna get replaced by something...if these two skins are anything to speak, probably something boring.
maybe they couldnt think of any fun skills to go with his old lore. also it would be almost impossible to make him not disgusting with his old lore. and his disgustingness was wat was holding him back alot in the amount of ppl playing him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
maybe they couldnt think of any fun skills to go with his old lore. also it would be almost impossible to make him not disgusting with his old lore. and his disgustingness was wat was holding him back alot in the amount of ppl playing him.
This isn't really something you can say for sure--and even then, that only means that he's niche, that he's providing something that a small (in comparison) group likes that isn't really available in terribly many places. Considering League has over 100 playable characters and Riot is pretty well-off financially, niche is something that can be afforded. Rioters like Morello and IronStylus have stated before that they want to create many different flavors of champion to please many different personal tastes, not try to make one flavor appealing to everyone.

And even then, I think that while his appearance wasn't the ideal for people that are absolutely repulsed by conventionally ugly things (which, again, is actually preferable to niche groups), it was rather the fact that his gameplay wasn't outstanding that was holding him back.

There was nothing...terribly memorable Trundle did--the most "present" ability he had was his pillar (and that's usually what people remember when they think of Trundle); his Innate wasn't noticeable, his Q just looked like an alternate autoattack animation, his AoE was just "there" I guess, and his ultimate was practically invisible (in terms of visuals and impact).

Now, these things can still be redeemed while sticking to the theme of a super regenerating, diseased, runty troll, but unfortunately, that's not the direction Riot decided to take--which is a shame, because not only is his new appearance misleading in terms of gameplay implications, but because it fulfilled something in LoL that isn't really fulfilled by anything else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FurryKittenSoup

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
"New Trundle [is] gonna be so much different though."

Apples and oranges.

If you think the new Trundle is better (in terms of aesthetics etc.), that just means that you prefer what the new one has to offer, moreso than you prefer what the old one had to offer. Neither is "better," they just bring different qualities to the table.

The problem, here, is that people liked what old Trundle had to offer (grossness, "disease" theming, runty appearance, underdog status, scrappy/gutsy attitude to match his appearance and gameplay, etc.), and there is no champion (existing or mentioned to be a future release) that fills that void--and with new Trundle, everything he brings to the table is already there ("ice" theming, brawn, etc.).

Players that like what the old Trundle had are disappointed because they will no longer have access to it, and players that like the new Trundle are basically getting a sample platter of things they already have access to.

The new Trundle isn't bad by any means, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing him as a new character (with gameplay more closely reflecting his appearance and status--whereas now he has old Trundle's table-turner gameplay slapped onto an unfitting form), but he represents the loss of something valued, which is why people are making noise about it.
u got a point. but his character model is really ugly(i dont mean disgusting. i mean just a ghetto looking design). which is a big reason y i dont play him often. his skill set is unique. but its not really that fun. it gets boring pretty quick. and u cant really see the effect he is having on the other team because his skills dont have much visuals. i have high hopes that the rework will fix everything wrong with him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

Senior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
u got a point. but his character model is really ugly(i dont mean disgusting. i mean just a ghetto looking design). which is a big reason y i dont play him often. his skill set is unique. but its not really that fun. it gets boring pretty quick. and u cant really see the effect he is having on the other team because his skills dont have much visuals. i have high hopes that the rework will fix everything wrong with him.
Is his current model a bit dated? Yes. However, if this were the problem, then he could've simply gotten the Katarina treatment--wherein his current look remains but his model and animations are redone to the standards Riot holds themselves to today.

Is his gameplay low-impact (as in, not apparent to the other players in the game--he's plenty good at what he does, but nobody notices it)? Yes. However, that could be fixed with a relaunch kit change, while staying true to (and even accentuating) the things that originally defined him.

What Riot has done, however, is throw the baby out with the bathwater, run a new bath, and adopt a new baby. There were problems, and they needed to be fixed, but starting from the very beginning ("let's have a club-wielding troll named Trundle") and changing just about everything about him is overkill, and it gets rid of a lot of things that a number of Trundle players appreciated--things that aren't available elsewhere in the game.

(Sorry you're getting all these downvotes, mate. Don't let that deter you from reaching a sound conclusion with me, and gaining an understanding of the matters at hand.)