Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mad Hit Monkey

03-26-2013

I'm trying to really grock this one... So...

This...

http://i.imgur.com/WU0aNuk.gif

A model created in the game's youth, with limitations in technology...

Is somehow better than this...

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws....omic_thumb.jpg

A model created when the development team has matured, better skilled, better tech and all?

Am I on Bizzaro Planet?

Dawgenstien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

I was really digging the new default skin until i noticed one feature.
Just one feature feels extremely out of place and is bothering me to no end.
Here's a hint, it's right in the center of his face and looks like it belongs to another species.

PrinceDarknight

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
Upvoted.

Trundle's current design and themes have a cult following, and this change is a slap to that fandom's face, especially with a "Traditional" skin that just looks like a buff WoW troll that put on a Trundle costume. People who argue against the Trundle fans often use the fact that we're a minority as a justification for trashing his original concept, and that it's more reasonable to make him palatable to the masses than extremely appealing to a niche group. That kind of pro-homogenization thought should be fought against. It is antithesis to art and fandom.

This. I'll still try to withold judgement, but ditching the cool decay/regen, rabid and gross theme of Trundle for a generic ice troll is just...so disappointing.

The Nice Boat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hit Monkey View Post

This...

A model created when the development team has matured, better skilled, better tech and all?

Am I on Bizzaro Planet?
No, you are on Earth, where we value artistic uniqueness over general and bland aesthetic.

woopyfrood

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hit Monkey View Post

This...

Am I on Bizzaro Planet?

No. The models are not the things that should be compared. Of course a game will acquire a more refined look as it updates. Artistic merit should not be measured in the tools available at the time. That's like comparing cave paintings to Monet. They can both be great, even if one is older and cruder.

The problem is that those two models are conceptually different. Even if they bare the same trappings, they convey different kinds of characters altogether. Rehashing something unique and niche, an outcast runt-of-the-litter troublemaker, into something completely different and rather generic, a brawny king of warriors, is not artistic progression. It's artistic regression: homogenization.

Aavak

03-27-2013

I assume he's going to get his abilities remade (visually) and renamed to better suit the new theme. Would it be something like:

Decompose = ?
Rabid Bite = Frost Bite
Contaminate = Snow Field
Pillar of Filth = Pillar of Ice
Agony = ?

EDIT: I enjoy the way that w*nkers come on just to downvote page after page. Grow up you tw*ts!

Thessalonike

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
No. The models are not the things that should be compared. Of course a game will acquire a more refined look as it updates. Artistic merit should not be measured in the tools available at the time. That's like comparing cave paintings to Monet. They can both be great, even if one is older and cruder.

The problem is that those two models are conceptually different. Even if they bare the same trappings, they convey different kinds of characters altogether. Rehashing something unique and niche, an outcast runt-of-the-litter troublemaker, into something completely different and rather generic, a brawny king of warriors, is not artistic progression. It's artistic regression: homogenization.
I think "runt of the litter" is held a bit to tightly too. Trundle isn't a kid anymore. I have two dogs, brothers, one was the runt and got destroyed all the time as a pup, now he is the dominate one. Even now Trundle says he is gonna hit you from one fountain to the next.

Why can't Trundle have a rags to riches story?

Mad Hit Monkey

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgenstien View Post
I was really digging the new default skin until i noticed one feature.
Just one feature feels extremely out of place and is bothering me to no end.
Here's a hint, it's right in the center of his face and looks like it belongs to another species.
His nose? It's large and bulbous, just like usual. I'm not seeing where your issue is.

woopyfrood

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviance View Post
I think "runt of the litter" is held a bit to tightly too. Trundle isn't a kid anymore. I have two dogs, brothers, one was the runt and got destroyed all the time as a pup, now he is the dominate one.

Why can't Trundle have a rags to riches story?
I was merely referencing his lore to help define his physical appearance, which is the main issue I am trying to tackle.

Body shape determines body language and voice, and all together they account for a very large portion of a character's personality. Just by looking at his concept art you could tell that Trundle matched his backstory well, and when you saw him move and heard him speak, you could tell that Trundle matched his backstory perfectly.

I don't think going from that design to a big northern troll king is a rags to riches story, especially without lore support, which would probably feel shoehorned in anyway. The Troll King isn't Trundle finally getting his due, it's Trundle getting replaced.

Mad Hit Monkey

03-27-2013

I think what a lot of people forget about Trundle being the runt of the litter and how he's such a nice guy is the fact that, in his Judgement, he was given the option of tossing the curse back to his tribe to give their regeneration back, but decided not to,

Quote:
The images flashed unbidden before his eyes - his tribe once again plagued by the debiliating disease, all equally humbled by their affliction. He imagined telling them how this sacrifice saved them all from a potentially worse fate, and his tribe finally seeing him for the savior that he was.

And suddenly, the sting of naiveté that caused him to make this same choice before shattered his train of thought. His decision to bear the burden of disease never changed the fact that he was the runt. Nothing he ever did would change that.

A crooked smile snaked across his misshapen face. "Let them suffer. I'll keep what they so generously gave me."

"So it shall be. Then I will ask you again – why do you want to join the League, if not for a cure?"

"It seems this is the 'cure' I was looking for after all."

"How does it feel, exposing your mind?"

Trundle thought for a long moment. "For once, it felt like I wasn’t alone anymore. Thank you for that."
In this last bit, he cemented that he stopped trying to be their savior. He's not even trying to find a cure for the disease anymore. He's just wants to be accepted. Imagine how becoming the Troll King would have been the method to which he managed it?

But you know, downvote downvote, because Trundle is a beefcake now, and somehow that makes him generic.

I think I'm done trying to convince people that this is not a malicious act by Riot, targeted at everybody who loves Trundle.