[Guide] Udyr, the four different hair styles

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corniguous

12-04-2009

Personally, I like to play this hero a lot, something quite unique. Many say hes useless, I find he's just difficult to play, maybe even the most difficult. Hes not an omg solo i decimate team champion, which is why I think he gets a lot of bashing cause people want easy win.You have to figure out which of his combinations your going to use, spreading yourself to thin can cause you to be underpowered quickly, as Udyr is one of the slowest building hero I've found. In my past 10 games I played as Udyr, the first i did horrible, but the following games ive been able to stay consistent around 6+ kills,5-8 deaths and 10+ assists, each time doing a bit better I think I found a decent build. AP builds that focus on phoenix and turtle just arent good enouph, AP sacling on this champion is miserable and doesn't add much to the team.

Any constructive criticism is more than welcome.
Masteries
21/9/0 Works well with helping for dmg, but you can choose really depending on your needs.
Runes- I try to focus mainly on +dmg and crit% runes.
Items
1. Regen Pendant
2. Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi if the enemy doesnt have to many stuns.
3. Sheen
4. Phage > Frozen Mallot
Regen Pendant > Warmogs
5+6 - These items are up for discussion, as its hard to get to this much gold with Udyr. But I usually work towards a Zeal into Phantom Dancer, and if possible a Bloodthirster or Black Cleaver.
A few games I also picked up a brutilizer between turning my phage into a frozen mallot. Its cheap and adds some decent bonus.

Skills. This is were its difficult for Udyr, he has quite a few options, but usually i try to go for stacking Bear and Tiger with an even split on Phoenix and Turtle.
1 Phoenix
2 Bear
3 Tiger
4 Bear
5 Turtle
6 Bear
7 Tiger
8 Turtle
9 Bear
From there, max out bear and tiger. Then split even between turtle-phoenix

Play style and progression.
*Early game, stay back and work towards getting to set up for phoenix proc to harass heros. If things get dicey bear stun and run. You dont have much HP and you get become hurt real quick if your not carefull. Dont try and stance dance to much, you dont have the mana. If you have a good lane partner you can help set up the gank with Bear switch and help damaging with Tiger swap.
*When you have your sheen start moving into the forest, this is what becomes important for Udyr. You cant really gank to much yet as Udyr develops slowly, so try to start farm quickly. Stance dance between bear and turtle and tiger to damage as well as stay alive. If theres an open lane due to the wars in other lanes, you can farm that one to, just be carefull of where the enemy is, your an easy target until you can get HP.
*Once you have your phage/frozen mallot, start helping out your team, your a support/dps at this point, setting up with Bear stuns, in larger fights, try not to focus on one character to much, rotate your bear stun between enemy's to keep em locked. Use to your discrepancy on changing into turtle when a spell is coming your way, Swapping into bear form after turtle helps to run. For runners, even if your in bear form and their starting to get away, pop bear form to close the gap and stun them /start to slow.
*If your fighting certain heros like Nunu or Katarina or any enemies with channel ultis, their ultis can be stopped dead with your bear stun attack, this is perhaps one of Udyrs best assets.) Between your bear stuns, try and dance into Tiger and get some hits off. From this point its generally the same, you just become better at your job with gaining survivability and damage.
*Stance Dancing is very important, try to keep your passive stacked as it helps with your survivability.
*Know when to run in and run out, until later game, your squish and can die rather quickly, you have to be careful.

Udyr is a fun hero to play imo, as its actually a challenge to win. Yes, he could use some buffing, I wont deny that, but if you just want an easy win, go with ashe or teemo and the whatnot.

Moonkin

12-04-2009

Spot reserved.

Chyron

12-04-2009

Just putting in my 2 cents but I've noticed its pointless to get ATK speed items with him. Focus more and DMG and HP items. Ill get warmogs, frozen mallet, atma's impaler, some form of boots depending on the situation, sheen, and brutizer usually. If the game is STILL going after that I'll up grede sheen to its counterpart and replace brutilizer with black cleaver.

Dahras

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyron View Post
Just putting in my 2 cents but I've noticed its pointless to get ATK speed items with him. Focus more and DMG and HP items. Ill get warmogs, frozen mallet, atma's impaler, some form of boots depending on the situation, sheen, and brutizer usually. If the game is STILL going after that I'll up grede sheen to its counterpart and replace brutilizer with black cleaver.
Umm, I don't consider myself to be an Uldyr expert, but really, attack speed is bad? I mean, I know it can be redundant if you're tiger focused, but it really helps you stun multiple people in bear, proc more in phoenix, and Regen more in turtle. Its not the best DPS stat for him but it has a lot of utility.

EDIT: I also suggest Tiamat for him, especially if you level Phoenix a bit. It makes him push and aoe like a boss.

Dahras

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corniguous View Post
*Stance Dancing is very important, try to keep your passive stacked as it helps with your survivability.
Man this is some of the most unobvious but important advice ever. Just with this, I went from meh to pretty good. It really makes you hit that much harder.

peterpants

12-07-2009

Do his stance dances stack? The buff never shows as stacking.