Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

C4KE

03-13-2013

I don't think a Pregame vote kick is a solution, but it is a good component of fixing the problems. It won't fix the arguments, it will just fix the trolling. Which is good, but we need more than this.

Eyrgos

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
I like the idea of knowing what people don't like playing against. Helps them inform the Captain what they don't like in Draft. I think we're all used to the rapid calling of champions during the ban phase. Sometimes resulting in accidental bans of a champion someone is trying to say they're planning on playing.
I propose a ten-second ban lock window along with a disclaimer that says "Please Let The Ban Leader Know Your Ban Preferences" sort of a thing

Torchide

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Bring back ELO because LoLKing scores confuse the hell out of everyone, leagues are not an accurate representation of skill level most of the time, and all of this just contributes to more rage and battles for dominance in champion select.

Quenton

03-13-2013

Just...please, no WoW dungeon finder.

If you feel you must go with that strategy, go with the Freelance idea.

Tehemo

03-13-2013

How about giving us a group chat filled with players near our personal elo that we can attempt to put our own team together while the normal queue timer keeps ticking down? Cleary some rules would need to be put in place but it gives you a brief opportunity to find a team you would like to play with consisting from the player pool the game would attempt to pair you with anyways.

Blue Avenge

03-13-2013

the tribunal is the passive form of combating toxic players, we need the active part, a community service system where players queue up for spectating games and send players to the tribunal were they get judged by the whole community. An incentive for doing that would be a special champion select ribbon over the portrait of the summoner if the player has a high ratio of correct judgement and a little bit of ip if the player send to the tribunal is guilty of bad behavior in game. The spectator mode is already implemented the only thing needed to work on would be a game summary screen for the moderator at the end of the match where he could send players to the tribunal or highlight a good sportsmanship. Of course, not everybody would be able to be a match moderator, it has to be level 30, a recent good record of good behavior and more requisites riot can consider.

PROS

-system can't be abused
-it rewards players for helping the community directly
-solves a community based problem using the community itself
-relatively resource cheap system
-encourages match watching culture
-short, medium and long term strong positive effect on player toxicity
-highly accurate system

CONS

-not all the matches can't be spectated by a match moderator but players wont know when they are watched so they would have to be consistently positive over all the matches

Solari Eclipse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Why would Prisoner's Island be mainly Bronze players? Players of all skill levels can have toxic behaviors.
Toxic, yes, but statistics says there should be A bell curve of the population. And the biggest chunk of players is bronze, isn't it? Also Consistent toxic behavior should decrease a player's win rate, correct? Shifting the toxic curve slightly to lower mmrs.

davin

Senior User Researcher

03-13-2013
25 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter900 View Post
I don't know how much this would help, but by prioritizing people you've won a game with and telling the player that they won a game with that other person, I feel that it would help. It would overall give players more trust in their teammates. Just a thought though I think it would work. Any feedback would be nice.

(I'd really like a response from Davin or Lyte!)
There's a bunch of ways you could use information about your friends or past people you've played with to do some cool stuff. It's something we've brainstormed on in the past.

Ektomorf

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicparadox View Post
Here is my idea on how to solve roles. when you load in to champion select
the game will post your win percentage in each lane. this way there can be no arguing and each player can quickly asses what player is best in what lane. i know there are some flaws to this but i believe this is a decent solution.
Solves nothing tbh.
Most players I get that argue about the lane they want are
A) Fairly average at that role anyway (sometimes they are good)
B) Don't care who is better
C) Say "I don't know any other role"

Rhotick

03-13-2013

I think one of the more frustrating parts of champ select is the very beginning. Often it feels like, if I want to play a specific role, I have to call it as quickly as possible or someone else (who likely feels the same way) will call it, or worse, instalock.

Concerning Instalocks

For normals, one solution might be to make it so you can't lock a champ for the first 20 seconds or so. This would give slower players a chance to say "Would you mind if I play mid?" to someone who would have otherwise instalocked.

Alleviating the problem in ranked

Like I said, at the beginning of champ select, there's a feeling like you've absolutely got to say what you want immediately or you won't get what you want.

What if you had summoners fill out a small list of role options in their profile (which they can change at any time). They could rate the five usual roles (top, mid, adc, support, jungle) from preferred to least preferred, and at the beginning of champ select, there would again be a small silent period where everyone's preferences are automatically posted. So it would be something like:

Summoner 1: top > jungle > adc > support > mid
Summoner 2: jungle > top > mid > adc > support
Summoner 3: mid > support > adc > jungle > top
Summoner 4: adc > mid > top > jungle > support
Summoner 5: mid > top > support > adc > jungle

It gives everyone a chance to get their voice out there, so to speak, before the rush of "mid!" "top!" "mid or top" "adc" etc.

Matchmaking wouldn't have to take these into account during queue, because you're not shoehorning people into roles, you're just allowing everyone to have all the information to start out with. That way, the last pick who might have otherwise gotten stuck with jungle (which is his worst), might have a chance to pick something else because before everyone starts calling roles, they can already see that he's not so great at jungle. This might inspire someone else (who otherwise would have called a different role), to go into the jungle instead.

Lastly...

I saw in one of Lyte's posts a minute ago that he was asking whether people felt their role, their lane, or their champion to be the most important thing they're going for in champ select, and I figured I'd give my two cents.

Generally, I'm okay with filling any role, because I have champs I like for each. If I ever do go into champ select with a preference, it tends to be for a specific champion, which then leads me to call a specific role. For example, last week I wanted to play Varus a lot while he was free, so I called adc a couple times. Generally I don't care what role/lane I play unless I really want to play a specific champ.