Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS12c9caee90c700fc71890

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Not at all. We are investigating a lot of potential solutions, but wanted to talk about what our thought processes on this are We agree that the current situation is sub-optimal, and don't want to let that stand. And don't want to leave you in the dark about it.
Understatement of the decade

Professor Maple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-13-2013

I don't think a WoW Dungeon Finder would work, but I think having more information about the players we play with at the beginning of champion select is a better.

Proposal - Player Preference Display (PPD)

• During Champion select, players have 3 rows of 2 circles each next to their name (or that appear on hover)
  • The first column is for role preference. This is not lane preference but more what type of champions you feel comfortable with. Options are things like Mage, Tank, Fighter, Assassin, Support, etc.
  • Role preference can be changed from your profile and ranked from 1 to 3. This will help communicate to other players what type of champion you prefer playing or are comfortable with.
  • The second column is for champion preference. One champion can be selected as your most comfortable champion for that role.
  • Example - I select my three "best" roles 1. Tank 2. Fighter 3. Support. Then for each role I select my favorite champions 1. Tank - Amumu 2. Fighter - Shyvana 3. Support - Soraka
  • For added functionality, the client might be able to suggest your preferences (but not force you too them)
  • It might be useful to add a check box like "Can Jungle" as it is one of the hardest roles to jump into.

Pros
  • I can see what my teammates want to play immediately and see who their strong champions are before bans start.
  • Players no longer need to rush to get their voice heard, what they are comfortable with is displayed right there on the screen.
  • Should reduce players getting pidgeonholed into a role they are bad at or do not with to play.

Cons
  • Players may not heed the gained information and still "autolock" (same as current)
  • Players may skew their perception of their best champ just because they want to play a specific lane (Should be less of a problem because being honest about your strengths should lead to better performance and wins)
  • Added interface to already jumbled client

There are definitely problems wit this idea, but let me know what you think. If you have any ideas for improvements/additions, I'd love to hear them

Ektomorf

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There are Champ Select issues in both Normals and Ranked, so this discussion should try to figure out the problems and potential solutions for both types of Champ Select.
I would say your totally missing the point about champ select issues.
Dodge a normal which accounts for not a whole lot, 5 minutes penalty.
Dodge a ranked which accounts for something visible, 30 minute penalty, loss of LP, forfeited promotion series.

I've noticed on the forums, Since the introductions of leagues, the amount of threads on this subject has gone through the roof. Of which a vast majority of them are about ranked lobbies.

just my 2 cents.

Noraver

03-13-2013

I feel like the vote/kick system is the best solution.

This removes trolls.
A "WoW dungeon finder" system does not remove trolls. It simply lets people have their roles.
This doesn't stop trolls who enter and say "LOL, I don't wanna play this role anymore", or they continue to pick troll champions, despite picking the jungle role.

A vote/kick and "prisoner island" seem to be the only realistic solutions.

Makishima

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
How do you ensure that the people you are teamed with are fine with what you're taking? Not everyone may want an assassin mid, and could get annoyed if the "Lane Chooser" queue gives them a "bad" result.

Though, the counterpoint is that from research we actually know that in general players just want a viable team, period, and that the standard meta isn't really the only thing that determines if they're happy with a lineup. And that's especially true at less intense tiers of play, as you suggest.
Thats gonna be a problem anyway. How can you even make a comment like this and work for riot. Your basically saying "we should just do nothing because there will always be an issue". You have to be willing to try stuff. wow what a disheartening comment it almost makes me feel hopeless that you guys will ever implement a really good feature for ranked que

FunkyBunch

03-13-2013

My ideas:
What if you made it so you found your team first, then it matched you against another team?
Give you two minutes to talk, etc.

And then using Vote-Ban for champion banning, instead of first pick bans everything he doesn't like...

Pre Queue:
Pick the top 1-3 types of people you'd like to play with in each position. That way you can pseudo-separate those who want to ONLY play the meta and those more interested in new strategies.

Examples for Pre Queue Idea:
Top: ADC, Tanky Support, Bruiser
Mid: AP Mid, Tanky Mid, Assassin Mid
Bottom: ADC/Support, ADC/Bruiser, Kill-Lane, Stall-Lane
Jungle: AD Jungle, Tanky Jungle, AP Jungle

Or I dun care, just match me with people. (Basically Blind Queue Ranked)

Margaram

03-13-2013

What if there were an optional queue in which you were matched with a team and given unlimited time to decide on a strategy. Then when everyone was happy you would queue up and search for a team to go up against. It would be like making a premade 5s team but instead with random people.

The only problem (though there could be more) I could think of with this is that people would feel bad if they talked strategy for a long time only to have one person dodge. Maybe then allow the 4 people that didn't dodge stay together till another 5th joins the group.

rottim

03-13-2013

What I really like about the "Role Finder" option is that when you think about it, it doesn't really add in any new problems while it gets rid of the stated ones.

People are worried about the meta being locked in? It already is to an extent. So you want to "break the meta" in Solo queue, maybe even have a duo queue buddy with you in on it. Guess what, whether a role finder exists or not you still have to do the same daunting task: Talk to your team about your intentions.

Right now everyone scrabbles to fill roles/lanes as well as if they want to do something traditional they get a chance to convince their team that they honestly want to try a strategy and they're not trolling.

If a role finder was implemented, nothing about that would change. Unless Riot restricted champions based on your role (which would never happen) you still get to break the meta all you like. You just have less emphasis on deciding who goes where and more on convincing the 3 to 4 strangers you're with that you're not just there to grief them for the next 20 minutes with Crittlesticks.

reallyslowloader

03-13-2013

Since all you guys seem to be doing is giving counter arguments to old ideas. How about you ask the community for new ideas? instead of spending a whole thread with old ideas.

Timlan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Hi it's Timlan from the run-amok Reddit Tribunal thread yesterday. Lyte, you stole my catchy title....

1) Vote Kick seems to have too many ways to abuse the system. Obviously there's the ganging up of a pre-made. There's also using it to dodge a team comp that you don't think you'll find success against. Plus, heaven forbid there's a report involved in the vote kick, or the person the lobby blames could be unjustly flagged. Kind of a Jonah-and-the-Whale situation . . .

2) I love the idea of being able to specify what roles I prefer. I consistently play Jungle and when I don't play that, I play top. I can pull off a halfway decent support, but if you ask me to ADC, we're probably going to lose. The best thing about this is that it prioritizes communication. I'm sure that you all have done surveys concerning the most popular roles and have an idea on how flexible the community is in terms of filling in. I'd be more than happy with this. Maybe this could be tested on ranked. I'd bet that people would be more forgiving of a longer wait when it meant they'd have a better balanced team.

3) This option focuses on just toxic players. The biggest deterrent to bad behavior is accountability. Both the pre and post game lobbies don't show up in Tribunal. I wouldn't be a fan of any major changes to dealing with toxic players until the Tribunal is applied to these areas. I'd like to see how people cleaned up their act once the belief that "if I don't do it in game, I get away with it" gets dispelled.