Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zzSleeper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Normal blind-pick has a phenomenon where some people rush to pick at the start, and then people slowly pick around each other as time counts down.

Replicating this to a degree in draft could be beneficial. An "Intend to Pick" feature where everyone on your team can indicate what champ they want to choose visually would go a long ways to speeding up pick negotiation. As I recall, HoN has something very similar this this.

Obviously this is more of an incremental improvement, rather than an all-encompassing solution. I sincerely hope that your reasons for mentioning Vote Kick, WoW Dungeon Finder, Prisoner’s Island explicitly is that you have already dismissed them as bad ideas in the context of LoL and have other potentially good ideas that you aren't currently willing to discuss for fear of biasing the direction of discussion.

DeanKeaton259

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

I would just like to add that if you are last pick in ranked, you really don't get to decide the way the game is going to be played. The first 4 picks have decided for better or worse how the game is going to be played.

Your role as a last pick is to support your team by picking things that compliment their choices. This is what a team game is all about and I think a lot of people either forget or refuse to accept this fact.

Anrita

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
The tricky part here is that unlike WoW's Dungeon Finder, we don't have a single way of playing the game. Dungeons in WoW are designed to pretty much fit the tank/dps/heal model.

So when you match people together, you'd need some way of pairing together players who have agreed on a particular strategy or want to play in a certain way. Otherwise you might end up with two people who queued as best-at-Mid, and unless they're fine playing Double Mid, you'd get some pretty similar behaviors going on.
Agreed, you'd need to pick one or more templates and one or more roles within each template that you're willing to play, and then the matchmaking queue would have to pick a template for the team and assign roles to each player according to what they were willing to play. Also, these preferences should be savable and nameable like mastery pages so that once you've set one up, you can reuse it infinitely.

In addition to eliminating conflicts over positioning in champ select, this would also address the problem of people disagreeing about conformance to "the meta".

SmegmaCrazy

03-13-2013

Don't know if its been said yet, I'm at work and can't read everything. What if you can state the level of play you want, sort of a casual, medium, or serious type. I know for ranked it wouldn't work but normals could work

Meisterbrau

03-13-2013

Quote:
Right now champ select is a bit stressful, as you're trying to get information from four people in order to form something that will allow you to succeed. Within a very small time-frame.
Maybe one part of the solution might just be to make this information-gathering process easier?

Instead of a groupfinder-like system where you check your prefered role and get matched according to it, have a way to set information about you before joining the queue that will be displayed in champ select (e.g. as a mouse over or in chat).

A few people in my friend list have this system where they type their 4 favourite champions into the status field, in order to inform players in their friend list (which they only know from playing LoL with them obviously) to know what they are signing up for when they invite them.

So the idea would be:

What if I could make an ordered list of my prefered roles, tick/untick the champs I love/hate playing and so on.

And when joining a queue, this has no influence on matchmaking, but in champ select it will be displayed for the other 4 guys at a glance.
(also: plz show which people are duo-queueing in ranked to their allys).

This would reduce a little bit of the information gathering overhead at the beginning of champ select.
Hell, the system could even make suggestions on team comp based on this like
"Meisterbrau is the only one who really wants to play support, why not let him?"

wapster

03-13-2013

The problem with a WoW dungeon finder type queue is that it cements the current meta of the game and doesn't allow players to experiment.

Granted, ranked isn't the best place to experiment, but a system that permanently recognizes a meta that is completely community created and constantly changing isn't a very good thing.

Vote kick would be nice, but a "queue into your role" system would just stagnate the game.

davin

Senior User Researcher

03-13-2013
15 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRising View Post
I would love to see anything remove the toxicity in as many aspects of League as possible, but I'm under the impression with the Red's responses that maybe doing nothing might be the best strategy.
Not at all. We are investigating a lot of potential solutions, but wanted to talk about what our thought processes on this are We agree that the current situation is sub-optimal, and don't want to let that stand. And don't want to leave you in the dark about it.

Sulale

03-13-2013

You guys are over complicating things which is good to an extent. Instead of saying "what may happen," how about you guys do it, and see the actual results. I know Pbe is alright in finding these sort of behaviors so why don't you start there. That player base is full of people from live so It can be a good sample size.

Here's a thread I made discussing the issue.

More of my previous statement is explained here.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3220907

tolore

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanKeaton259 View Post
I would just like to add that if you are last pick in ranked, you really don't get to decide the way the game is going to be played. The first 4 picks have decided for better or worse how the game is going to be played.

Your role as a last pick is to support your team by picking things that compliment their choices. This is what a team game is all about and I think a lot of people either forget or refuse to accept this fact.
or think it shouldn't be that way, I've always been of the opinion first pick has just as much responsibility as 5th pick to make sure the team is well rounded.

Zivstatic

03-13-2013

Quote:
How do you ensure that the people you are teamed with are fine with what you're taking? Not everyone may want an assassin mid, and could get annoyed if the "Lane Chooser" queue gives them a "bad" result.

Though, the counterpoint is that from research we actually know that in general players just want a viable team, period, and that the standard meta isn't really the only thing that determines if they're happy with a lineup. And that's especially true at less intense tiers of play, as you suggest.
But the way it is now I have no say if they call mid and take an assassin. I and the rest of the team just have to work around it. But at least with this there won't be arguing over who gets mid. Someone getting hurt because they didn't get what they wanted and taking it out on the other 3 people on the team.

I would say that the one big drawback to this idea as far as strategy goes. Is pick order and counter pick. But hey that might open the meta up more. More Jarvan and Wukong mid for the pick jukes.