Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AmbushIntheDark

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Vote kick is an interesting idea that has been suggested by players for quite awhile; however, what are some of the goals we'd like to accomplish for Champ Select?

One, we want to encourage cooperation in Champ Select. Two, we want players to have an ability to opt-out if they are 'stuck' with players they perceive are toxic or extremely negative. Vote-kick systems tend to give players an opt-out mechanism; however, they do not encourage cooperation.

In fact, in some scenarios vote-kick systems encourage premade groups to bully the strangers in the lobby into specific roles or champions. Given a scenario with 5 strangers, if 4 strangers happen to agree on roles and the 5th doesn't, the 4 strangers are highly likely to collaborate to kick the 5th. Given a vote-kick system, we are likely to see more disagreements than before, and greatly increase the time it takes to get into a game.

Personally I would rather wait an extra 5+ mins in queue to get a game than waste 20+ by playing with someone on my team that cares more about himself than his team.

Queue times are only "long" for people way up in Diamond 1-2 which is a *very* small portion of players. It seems silly that such a small group of players could prevent a feature that would add an almost unnoticeable amount of time in queue for the 98% of other players in ranked.

Asif25

03-13-2013

I would fine WoW dungeon finder pretty interesting if that would be implemented,

wonder how LoL would be like right now if it was implemented it right now.

Cameryn Kyre

03-13-2013

Also, can we have like, a warning when we choose to accept/decline a match?

Like, "warning, one of the players (not necessarily teammates) you are about to play with has X amount of leaves/is X amount toxic/reported in games"

If players have an above average # of leaves/reports for AFK or a high report/punish rate we can have the option to simply decline then and there...

This could be easily/visually conveyed with Brass/Black profile avatars in the accept/decline prompt. Anyone would be able to visually see that this is probably a game they don't want to play.

And if a player who is one of these offenders fails to queue x times in a row, they have a 5-15 minute wait time before they may queue again. This should encourage better behavior which should be (hopefully) a little easier in a stable champ select lobby.

DriedPrunes

03-13-2013

Options 2 and 3 are the best by far.

Option 1 will be abused by premades/ duos and by anyone who doesn't like a conventional pick

I believe that Option 2 and 3 even though they have its flaws are better over all

The Ark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Preferences.

Do you like playing with premades? Y/N
Are you competitive ( as in making plays and following META ) or casual?
Like laning phase or end game more? ( to play games with people who like lane battles or teamfights more; To extend lane phase or expedite teamfights )

etc etc.

I always thought the role picking matchmaking like WoW has would be a good idea. And it could work. But then you have those people who claim tank... but aren't tank spec'd. I could see someone either choose a support and troll to go mid. Then what about champs that dont normally play certain roles but can? It's too hard to limit or decide what can go where and what can't.

Disclaimer: I skimmed the first post, I just wanted to get my ideas in.

Quacktical

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat View Post
This solution please.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...order+solution

A pre typed sentence taken from each player as they go to enter the queue, but before they arrive in the champ select lobby. Please consider the merits of this suggestion.
I really like this idea. Its pretty much how I already operate in champ select, but the issue of calling it still comes up sometimes.

Alice Twilight

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select.
2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team
3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players.

What are some pros and cons to these ideas? Would they work for League?
Vote kick will work for players actually being toxic but won't solve the overall problem of people wanting to play same role. It will also allow people in groups to bully the people they're paired with.

WoW dungeon finder doesn't really work with LoL, queuing up for a specific role works in WoW because of the way WoW is designed but in LoL sometimes I want to run corki or Quinn top and double bruisers bot or an AD mid, or an AP top and that doesn't really get into some of the other interesting things you can do with team comp

Prisoners Island seems like an appealing solution to trolls; it's an ok solution but if it were a good one, it still doesn't fix champion select.

My conclusion is that LoL specifically needs a new and creative solution to make champion select better. Sadly I don't have that solution just sitting around for you.

Rambi

03-13-2013

I'm so glad you guys are considering the WoW Dungeon Finder Model. I feel that letting people queue for their favorite role(s) would be a HUGE improvement to the community as a whole. And there are trade offs of queuing for popular roles, just like there is in WoW. People who REALLY want to play Top or Mid are going to have to wait longer than people who Support or Jungle.

For someone like me who adores playing top lane, this tradeoff is 100% worth it. So psychologically, people can weigh the trade off of preferred role and queue time. The result is a champ select lobby where everyone is happy, and it will effectively cease any toxic arguing.

I feel that the other options do the opposite. If you give a team the option to kick a team member, you're going to have people who called their role too late or are low in pick order start lobbying their teammates to someone. It opens a can of worms that could lead to endless trolling and fighting.

As someone who has a stressful job with stress issues on top of that, I completely relate to the scenario you went through. I feel that most of the situations that set me off start in champ select. And negativity in champ select almost always continues into the game. A WoW Dungeon Finder system would almost certainly keep players like me out of the tribunal.

I work in Market Research, so I'm interested in how you guys collect your player data. I'm sure the statistics you're privy to are really interesting.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-13-2013
9 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgleburgle View Post
Option 3, I'm starting to grow to like. The truth is, there are some people who like to play in a more toxic environment where verbal abuse is the norm. It might be useful for those people to play against eachother.

However, it presents a few problems - do you have parallel ladders? What if you want to duo queue with a non-toxic player? And, despite that, there still is almost nobody who actively wants to team with trolls/AFKers/etc. Not even the ragers/flamers. So I'm not sure how this is terribly different than banning them.

-Burgle
This is one of the first discussions I've had on Prisoner's Island where a player talks about the complexities of the system and how it would work with things like Ranked--these are great points.

I agree with you, Prisoner's Island has some unique concerns. Does it make sense to have a global Ranked ladder if you can game the ladder and who you play with by behaving a certain way? This is also why the idea of the matchmaker using "Ignore" or "Mute" information to never match you with certain players has red flags--these types of features provide subtle ways for players to abuse the matchmaker to create matches that are more favorable in a competitive environment liked Ranked queues.

It would be difficult to implement Prisoner's Island for Ranked Queues. But, I also believe it would be a poor player experience for Normal Queues as well.

Sir Pikajew

03-13-2013

1) Vote Kick- Premade group of players search lolking and see that 5th player isn't Diamond and decide to kick, they don't like his name, etc.
2) WoW Dungeon Finder- 30 minute ques because no one wants to play support from Silver 1 down.
3) Prisonerís Island- World implodes from all the toxicity.