Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kojolika

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcaine View Post
Downvoted because I don't like it when people mindlessly upvote reds for no reason.
I know what you mean sometimes but what the hell? people didn't just upvote this for no reason, it was because of the content in the post

Elliot

03-13-2013

#3 is and idea I dont really like. Positive w/ positive would be an optimal experience to be in, but toxic w/ toxic...

You might as well ban the x% who would be in the toxic matchmaking because they'll all report each other to get themselves banned anyways.

daibuh7

03-13-2013

1) Vote Kick seems the best alternative, although a toxic duo queue could evade that.
2) Trolls can queue for jungle and pick Sona, the only only way to counter this would be limited champ pools but some unconventional jungles could be left out such as Karthus or Darius. Also, this further cements the current meta.
3) Still does not account for those off-days and people would still not always get to play their favorite roles.

Maybe just a way to set preferences and have matchmaking work off that. Like if I prefer jungle or top, I select that on my profile and then matchmaking finds people who prefer the other roles. Kind of a softer version of WoW Dungeon Finder.

Ibuki Suika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

im not knowledgeable enough to add much but I wanna say thank you for putting this thread up and coming out on the forums about the issue and looking for ways to help fix it.

elbicnivnimai

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post

1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select.
2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team
3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players.

What are some pros and cons to these ideas? Would they work for League?
Why not all three? Start with Prisoner's Island though, as it's the least likely to involve abuse cases. Then figure out how to implement 1 and 2 after PI has been given a bit of time to segregate the player base into positive and negative players.

And you basically excused every single time I've ever been reported, and likely many other people who just react to trolls and toxicity in game and end up getting bans for it. Way to subvert the entire idea behind the Tribunal Lyte. And this is why players up for bans need to be able to defend their cases on the Tribunal. Because the Tribunal can't tell if I had a ****ty day at work, or whatever other outside context it can't measure.

davin

Senior User Researcher

03-13-2013
3 of 55 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
Allowing people to queue up for roles specifically would be the best approach, as long as it gives you the opportunity to play each role equally. Like it wont look to drop you in support slot unless the wait is over two minutes or something. Let a person specify what they're best and match them in to those appropriate roles. Obviously a label over the person's name saying the role they got queued for- this creates a problem though because you might have people who like builds that don't fit the meta, so by doing this you would be in fact committing Riot to the established meta at this point.
The tricky part here is that unlike WoW's Dungeon Finder, we don't have a single way of playing the game. Dungeons in WoW are designed to pretty much fit the tank/dps/heal model.

So when you match people together, you'd need some way of pairing together players who have agreed on a particular strategy or want to play in a certain way. Otherwise you might end up with two people who queued as best-at-Mid, and unless they're fine playing Double Mid, you'd get some pretty similar behaviors going on.

FrothyKat

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnXi View Post
#3 is a very good method in my opinion. It really does give toxic players a taste of their own medicine. Toxic players would probably not want to stay in that place so they will clean up their act and continue to stay positive in the game to avoid going back into the Prison group
Probably not. More likely, this will result in toxic players being fed up with being around other toxic players and (a)lashing out or (b)cease playing the game, rather than improving their behavior.

I get the feeling like Prisoner's Island will just get bigger and bigger because it will become a pit of ragers, rather than a place of reform.

foxfoot

03-13-2013

I think for starters SOME sort of official policy of who gets what role should be implemented.

I don't really care what it is (I tend to think pick order is a bit more fair than "whoever can type the fastest"), but that would already be a huge help.

Arbaal

03-13-2013

You cant do anything... people will complain regardless, People will Troll regardless. Hell, if anything you need to update that out-dated summoners code... cool guide line 3 years ago when the lol population was like 40 people now its at 30+ million and the age group is higher then what you probably planned when making the game.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

I like the idea of "Soft locking" a champion before bans so your team can know what you want to play. Some way to indicate what lane you intend to play that champ in would be cool, too.