The rune page system is one of the most anti-fun elements of this game.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

03-13-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
let me guess: you've been playing or trying to play a lot of Sim City?
actually I haven't played yet but my brother has been staying up til 5am the last couple nights designing some space-age looking monstrosity.

I've been duo-queueing ranked, proving it takes more than rune pages to make it to gold.

Sexual Innuendo

03-13-2013

Easily the worst thing Zileas has done for this game is to introduce the term "anti-fun", because it is used incorrectly to describe ANYTHING people don't like.

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Is there going to be more things to spend IP on in the future? There are a lot of veteran players who have every champion and plenty of runes.

I don't care if you tell us what they are, a simple yes or no would be plenty.

Great Iniquity

03-13-2013

TL : DR: could a rioter explain how letting level 30 accounts buy runes generates toxicity for the community? - If there is no toxicity then what motivation outside of marketing can there be for not allowing people to directly buy runes (in turn buying more RP to compensate for the high cost of runes).

In my case for instance, I am 1000+ games into my level 30 career, and I would fail to see any negative consequences into providing an account such as mine the liberty to buy some of the niche runes (e.g. armor/magic pen) I do not yet own. I understand in pre level 30 communities buying even tier 1-2 runes could be toxic, by what is the toxicity for mature (IP saturated) level 30 accounts?

I always thought it would be great if there was a "rune bundle" you could get with general armor seals MR blues etc just to give people a viable competitive start. The alternative to "buying" runes at the moment is to purchase IP boosts. Every available IP boost when broken down in cost efficiency however pails in comparison to simply buying rune pages individually or 975RP champion (excluding 30+hrs work). The only "legit" reason for an IP boost is a very ineffective indirect way to buy runes. - But why not then just allow level 30 accounts to buy runes? It is not as if a person who would spend RP on runes would get any statistics for their champion other summoners could not acquire through the slower IP method. - If you have to charge an arm and a leg for it, fine.

Cameryn Kyre

03-13-2013

I hate to go super off-topic on you but do you think you could possibly get someone on the design team to take a look at this thread...

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3218251

I'm on a mission here.

Zyrxil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Thanks for taking the time to make this point. There are several legitimate points of view on this and no guarantee that we will make major changes. But, the fact remains that many players do get frustrated with runes/pages and so I want to explore potential solutions once we complete some other priorities. The occasional rune page sale helps a bit, but in the long run I would love to find something that more players feel good about.
We're frustrated because the idea seems fundamentally unfair. Purchase runes as an IP sink, fine. Purchase pages to be able to use the runes? That's double dipping monetization on a single aspect of the game.

Dotislav Pro

03-13-2013

Rune pages limit how much roles and champions you can play, it is really annoying.

Delimon

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameryn Kyre View Post
I hate to go super off-topic on you but do you think you could possibly get someone on the design team to take a look at this thread...

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3218251

I'm on a mission here.
Can we bring back FoN while you're at it ._.

I know the thing needed a nerf but removed was a bit too much . . .

Gaare

03-13-2013

Please please please make it a sale where you can buy 1 rune page for the discount too. I have 19 and I just can't bring myself to buy two pages for one slot lol.

Xiao Rettousei

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
There will be another rune page sale in the next month or so.

Evaluating bigger changes to rune and rune page prices is on the eCommerce list for the second half of 2013. We are currently evaluating skin prices and will likely have some news to report on that in April. As with the recent changes to champion prices, the goal of all of these changes is to find an approach that is better for players and also works for Riot.
Hi hippalus! I have a question for you

Will we ever get the same treatement for skins as we have for champions? Each X skin release the price of Y skin will lower?