@ Lyte: what is your next step

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RockJockey

03-12-2013

@Lyte, would you care to elaborate on Champion Selection feature? Would it be accommodating to non-Meta strategies.

For Example: Duo Top, Duo Mid, Double Jungle, No Jungle, All Mid, All Support, etc...

To get even more complex, could one select descriptive features such as AD, AP, Hybrid, Tank, Off-Tank, etc... to let your teammates know what role you will be doing?

Whenever I get into champion select, I sometimes feel like playing Double Jungle, not everyone is supportive of this non-meta strategy so it rarely gets done. If there was a specific feature you could click to pair with others who feel like doing Double Jungle too, this would be awesome.

Soviet Swain Approves Red Replies
-Rockjockey

Ghan04

03-12-2013

I think a lot of the player behavior issues in League of Legends really just come down to the attitude that players have about the game itself. When gamers log in to play, they don't have anything there to push them into thinking positively. The game just starts up, they log in, enter queue, and the first real thing they see happen might be some toxic people raging in champ select or similar.

I think League might benefit from some tangible and easily viewable something on the client itself that is directly behavior-related. You know how currently the client displays live high-rank games that you can jump into to spectate? What if there was something like that, but for behavior instead. Some kind of player behavior showcase or highlight that displays some of the more positive experiences that random people have had playing League of Legends. That might go a long way into getting players into the right mindset before they get into a game.

We need to show players that League actually is a positive game to play. And it needs to be shown often.

Pryotra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
snip
Good to see you Lyte! Hope you are enjoying your evening.

I was wondering about something today. Personally, I feel that the whole idea of a "report", while great in the business world, is poorly applied to games. A report is written when someone does something bad, yet ingame I have seen this degenerate to "wah, I didn't get my way so I am going to do my best to troll a reaction from someone then report them!" My thought would be to replace it with sort of a "dishonor" system.

Basically, the Idea would be to have honor and "dishonor" interact more with one another than reports currently do with honor. The idea is to make both systems feel more meaningful, and reactive, while helping tribunal goers get a better view of the player. Does he get "dishonored" in 20%, but honored in 65%? Well then, this guy might not be an obvious case! OR This guy gets honored in 5% of his games, yet he gets dishonored in 80% of games, pretty sure this guy needs a timeout.

I haven't REALLY seen a good example of this, but something along the lines of what I am trying to say is in Xbox player profiles. Currently, they seperate the banning process from the player bio, but you can see different percentages of where they get avoided, and It wouldn't be too hard to implement the percentages on the opposite side. I think it would provide a good sort of warning system, as it would allow players to see where they do well, and where they could improve. Of course, if you tie it to games played, then I could see it being gamed a bit, but if you restrict it to the most recent dishonor/honor, then it would be nigh on impossible to tell how close you are to building a case on the tribunal, but would give a heads up to those players who could be reformed without resorting to giving them a timeout.

Wertilq

03-12-2013

Quote:
This is known as Prisoner's Island internally. I believe this is a bad idea for League of Legends; however, it's a pretty massive discussion.

If you consider what I mentioned about the vast majority of the playerbase being neutral or positive but everyone having occasional bad days, you can start to dig into why Prisoner's Island might create a vicious divide in the population that hurts far more players than it helps.
I've made a fairly big thread about this, but it got moved to the much less populated "Player Behaviour" forum. I would be pleased to hear more what you have to say about it, I have written down pretty much all pros and cons I could think of, but I would be very happy to hear your opinion on it.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

Just a thought for the restricted chat, could it include a whitelist for things that can be said?

Like allow the following words to work, and the rest be dropped "Mia" "ward" "warded" "yes" "no" "Blue buff" "gg", etc?

I'm sure there are more that can be found with your "commonly used words" tools, but the idea is obviously that it would allow communication, while not allowing toxicity. It might even help train people to communicate, without being toxic about it. I know that pings, especially the new pings, work for this to an extent, but I don't think I could do my job as a jungler with just pings, and I certainly couldn't do it as well with just pings. And as support, I'd be unable to clearly state the concept "Yes, we'd love a gank, they've warded their lane bush, and river, but our lane bush is free for you to sneak in to" without
my interactions being mistaken for "No, we don't want a gank".

Perhaps this is part of their punishment for toxicity, but I really don't like the idea of taking negative players, crippling them, and then putting them back into general populace. To me it feels like asking four people to act as the extra leg for a person who would just as soon be snapping at us, if given the ability.

Maybe your data shows otherwise though? I'd be interested to see numbers about player behavior, both from a toxicity, and a basic game mechanic, point relating to the experiment.

Wertilq

03-12-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3216263

The thread about prisoner island.

ScarPirate

03-12-2013

Quote:
We'll be visiting a few campuses in Boston, I believe the talks are for current faculty and students.

We'll also be giving a talk at GDC that will be available in the GDC Vault online.
I wish you luck on your presentations. Unfortunately, I don't go to a college large enough to command your presence

P0WER FL0WER

03-12-2013

I notice most abusive chat, isn't thought out, very impulsive, and is broken out over many messages. I feel instead of mute chat, it makes sense for players who are trending into negative behavior to get a limited #of messages per given set of time. That way whatever they say, has to be constructive.

IE: In any form of solo queue, if you receive 3 reports for verbal abuse for the same game, your next game would go from unlimited messages to 3 messages per 2 minutes, or something along those lines for which you to determine to be fair.

Partial reinforcement is the best means for establishing permanent behavior change. With this system I feel this would also help alleviate that once in a blue moon rage that even rioters are susceptible too. Though it would be somewhat complicated, I feel it'd be an amazing success.

Doonhijoe V

03-12-2013

Quote:
We'll be visiting a few campuses in Boston, I believe the talks are for current faculty and students.

We'll also be giving a talk at GDC that will be available in the GDC Vault online.

Hey Lyte, I was wondering if you could take a second and look over an idea I have to help *kinda* solve some of the smurfing issue: Registered Smurfs!

Now, what I am thinking is that a level 30 account can create what is essentially a second account, for whatever purpose.

And with these linked accounts (both would be 30, but the second one would instantly be 30) if one gets banned, they both are.

If one is in a game, the other can't also be in a game etc...

This will get rid of sooo much grinding for people who just want to hop into ranked/play with their lower skilled friends. And as a result, less lvl 30 players will be polluting the lower levels and new players will have more fun!

As far as helping with the toxic portions of smurfs... well I have no clue. But it's an idea!

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-12-2013
14 of 21 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghan04 View Post
I think a lot of the player behavior issues in League of Legends really just come down to the attitude that players have about the game itself. When gamers log in to play, they don't have anything there to push them into thinking positively. The game just starts up, they log in, enter queue, and the first real thing they see happen might be some toxic people raging in champ select or similar.

I think League might benefit from some tangible and easily viewable something on the client itself that is directly behavior-related. You know how currently the client displays live high-rank games that you can jump into to spectate? What if there was something like that, but for behavior instead. Some kind of player behavior showcase or highlight that displays some of the more positive experiences that random people have had playing League of Legends. That might go a long way into getting players into the right mindset before they get into a game.

We need to show players that League actually is a positive game to play. And it needs to be shown often.
Exactly.

The majority of this playerbase is neutral or positive. We need to find ways to highlight this behavior. Spotlight it. Talk about it. We need players to look around and realize that most of the players around them are awesome people.

I see this in the data everyday. But even in the neurosciences, we know how strong negative experiences can be--they last for a long time in memory, and outweigh positive memories. Is this solvable? We'll see.