So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BooleanCube

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
snip
I've been reading your reworks, and I really like what I'm seeing. I can see that your a person who is shaping himself up to be a Designer, one who understands theories and concepts and puts them together in meaningful and functional ways. You've expressed interest in working at Riot, and out of all of the people on the Forum, your the only one who seems to be preparing for it as if it is possible, within your grasp, simply waiting to be achieved.

Your work also shows a distinct 'first draft' feel though; you expressed the direction and goal you wanted, then made a kit, but it isn't done. Even in your hypothetical "Lol 2.0" scenario, it just wouldn't fly. It's inherently incomplete, obviously lacking the "bounced of the wall" factor of having an entire design team to work with, to point out your flaws, to round out the factors you'd express in a team.
As long as you recognize this, you could stand alongside people like Ames and FeralPony, Statikk n' Xypherous. If you apply to Riot with the mindset that your iconically BEAUTIFUL-but-TERRIBLE Fiddlesticks rework, or Heimerdinger-that-identifies-the-problem-but-utterly-fails-to-actually-solve-the-problem is the answer instead of the methodology that paves the way towards the answer, then you will never be accepted into their ranks.

Keep up your good work, keep polishing your principles, honing your skills, and otherwise shaping yourself into the critical-thinker and problem-solver that iterates. There is no good writing but re-writing, and there is no good design but re-designing. Even that which is creative was a re-creation of inspiration, and that inspiration itself not independent of others.

You are ItemsGuy now, but to become Riot, you must shed your ego, hone your mind, and evolve into a greater analytical force that knows no bias but perfection.

BiggieForMayor

03-11-2013

karma's my favorite champion.
this is amazing i think i'm going to be glued to LOL forever now.
eeeep yayayayayyayaya

BiggieForMayor

03-11-2013

wait, free skin how?

Super Explosion

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
As an aside, walls of text can be hard to approach and, speaking from experience, don't often enable good debate.
Ahh Ames, why don't you teach philosophy courses?

pet

03-11-2013

When does the patch with new Karma happen? This week?

Super Explosion

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet View Post
When does the patch with new Karma happen? This week?
Soon.

Splinterheart

03-11-2013

Whilst constructive feedback is a natural part of releasing new things, it feels like some people are going a bit over board. I do personally believe Karma had been a rather bland design (though clearly her fanbase thought otherwise) I DO consider the rework to be a vast improvement. I never found the fans to be part of Karma at all. For me she was defined through her choice gameplay using the mantra and a certain amount of visual respectability which I think her new model does quite well whilst keeping her appealing. (And which her tradtional skin does even better).
One thing that does suprise me is suddenly...Karma has tons of fans? When did that happen? Her fanbase was less than 50 for the past two years, and suddenly there's tons of QQ for what one would expected to be a rework which would hurt so few in its changes. (Changes that HAD to happen).

Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

So. much. yes. I used to play Karma so much. <3 Karma. Can't wait to get my hands on her rework.

VexTheHex

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
Whilst constructive feedback is a natural part of releasing new things, it feels like some people are going a bit over board. I do personally believe Karma had been a rather bland design (though clearly her fanbase thought otherwise) I DO consider the rework to be a vast improvement. I never found the fans to be part of Karma at all. For me she was defined through her choice gameplay using the mantra and a certain amount of visual respectability which I think her new model does quite well whilst keeping her appealing. (And which her tradtional skin does even better).
One thing that does suprise me is suddenly...Karma has tons of fans? When did that happen? Her fanbase was less than 50 for the past two years, and suddenly there's tons of QQ for what one would expected to be a rework which would hurt so few in its changes. (Changes that HAD to happen).
I have been following this thread some, and it's not a huge amount of people that are coming in upset in this thread. I think it's a group of 12ish posters (though a good chunk of the posts are by about 4-6 people) who are keeping the train moving. I saw a couple of threads last night/today about how Karma's rework has destroyed her, and they were downvoted with people disagreeing with the OP's complaints right off the bat.

And it's always been that people are much more likely to come to the forums and threads to voice their anger than their satisfaction.

Edit- And I also have noticed the tendency for even someone saying something along the line of "Omg, I'm excited!" and "She looks beautiful, this was an awesome change!" to get a couple downvotes. This thread is mostly watched by the small group that dislike the Karma changes. Those who are happy, post and leave.

Healurownbum

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
The fans make sense if you read the lore. They might not rly make sense as being used as weapons but what if she has them to remind herself of why she is fighting/supporting. She brought them with her from the shop of her parents. If it makes it easier for her to remind herself why she fights isnt that enough? And sure you will always have ppl who just play a champion without knowing anything abt the background of the champion, but does a champion need to loose everything they are cause of that? And change to being more blend so ppl who cba reading lore learning abt the champion might and i am saying Might like the champion.

No i disagree with that, i like her and i feel her fans arent just her weapons but also a reminder. Something to keep her going to remind her, making that iron will only stronger.

And its not just abt the fans being removed its the whole thing being stripped down and repainted. Just cause ppl say they never got it, and to me its cause they didnt take time to atleast try and get it. Have some insight read something.

But then again we life in a world where either you can sell it in the first second or it wont happen. And sexappeal sells we all know it. So she had to be sexed up and im fine with that, just not fine with the fact its costing the whole being of the champion. This purely cause of that split second that seems to be the only thing ppl now a days have.

Ah well.

Again its going to be stuffed down our throats, no matter how hard we shout.