Why are there different items on different maps?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotBuzzJack

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryiel View Post
Do you have any plans to make map specific balance?

Honestly, this is the only solution I see to Kassadin on Dominion. He, by himself, makes me not want to play Dominion anymore because he is so disgusting in this mode. It makes Dominion look like the biggest joke of a mode, currently. However, he's balanced in SR, so...
Nome has mentioned he's working on a solution to the Kassadin problem, however there was some tech backlog.

NotBuzzJack

03-09-2013

Oh Meddler, Lissandra's recommended items popped up in the PBE about 2 days ago, but there's something about them that doesn't make sense, which I have bolded.
Twisted Treeline

Starting Items
1001: Boots of Speed
1056: Doran's Ring
Essential Items
3020: Sorcerer's Shoes
3191: Seeker's Armguard
3136: Haunting Guise
Offensive Items
3090: Wooglet's Witchcap
3188: Blackfire Torch
3135: Void Staff
Defensive Items
3116: Rylai's Crystal Scepter
3110: Frozen Heart
3001: Abyssal Scepter
Consumables
2003: Health Potion
2004: Mana Potion

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

03-09-2013
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeChestnut View Post
Balance. No really, how would you feel about Zhonya's Ring being back? What about having Entropy on Summoners Rift? Here it comes more bruiser QQ.
Splitting Zhonya's Ring into two parts has done a lot of good for AP build diversity and adaptive itemization on SR IMO, so don't see the benefits of offering such an all in one item there. Other modes/maps have different circumstances though of course.

Not sure Entropy would offer anything appropriate for SR necessarily. When Phage/FM have been strong options on SR in the past for example that's created some noticeable negatives by making non CD limited CC widely available. It's an item I haven't used much myself though so I could well be missing a number of subtleties about it.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
Nome has mentioned he's working on a solution to the Kassadin problem, however there was some tech backlog.
Huh...

Thanks. TBH I've stopped caring/paying attention to Dominion after the release of one too many champ being OP on Dominion (Jayce and KZ come to mind). Kassadin is still by far the biggest offender though.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

03-09-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterheart View Post
Meeeedler, do you feel like adressing the Varus playerbase sometime about your thoughts about him in S3? If you remember you said you'd be watching him in S3 to see how he's doing:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...34837#31434837
From what I've seen he's currently in a pretty solid in terms of power at high level play at least, getting picked by a number of competitive teams in EU and Korea, but having mixed success (which is ideal). If we ever need to buff him there are a couple of things I'd like to tweak, CDs for example, at the moment though I think there'd be some risk of over buffing or we'd have to cut power from some other part of his kit to do so, so for now I'm in favor of continuing to watch his effectiveness. Again though I'm not working directly on live balance so there are a number of other people at the company that can probably offer some more in depth insight into his current performance.

Desastrado

03-09-2013

How about bringing Hextech Sweeper to SR, but changing the double tome for a Kage? This could be a good support item.

Tortferngatr

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Splitting Zhonya's Ring into two parts has done a lot of good for AP build diversity and adaptive itemization on SR IMO, so don't see the benefits of offering such an all in one item there. Other modes/maps have different circumstances though of course.

Not sure Entropy would offer anything appropriate for SR necessarily. When Phage/FM have been strong options on SR in the past for example that's created some noticeable negatives by making non CD limited CC widely available. It's an item I haven't used much myself though so I could well be missing a number of subtleties about it.
Incidentally, what's Wooglet's Witchcap in its current form then? :P

To my understanding, Entropy is a poor item that suffers from being a "master of none" on a map where that's a bad thing. It's worse at defending than Frozen Mallet, worse for damage than IE and Sanguine Blade, and worse for utility than Triforce. It's also expensive, meaning that there isn't much way to get it on Dominion's strong (but more fixed) gold supply without sacrificing room for items that provide better defense, utility, or aggression.

I would enjoy perhaps seeing ONE iteration on TT and SR and seeing what happens, as an aggressive Phage upgrade might be interesting to see for one patch.

DrammaLamma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2013

Sweeper and light bringer in SR is stupid.

Can TT get entropy (so adc's can kite and kill high hp bruisers)
King blade is a nice help for them but when you need to kite 2 targets you are screwed.

And can sweeper get the lantern / light bringer treatment? (where it builds into a more useful late game item with same effect.)

A Swarm of Koala

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Incidentally, what's Wooglet's Witchcap in its current form then? :P

To my understanding, Entropy is a poor item that suffers from being a "master of none" on a map where that's a bad thing. It's worse at defending than Frozen Mallet, worse for damage than IE and Sanguine Blade, and worse for utility than Triforce. It's also expensive, meaning that there isn't much way to get it on Dominion's strong (but more fixed) gold supply without sacrificing room for items that provide better defense, utility, or aggression.

I would enjoy perhaps seeing ONE iteration on TT and SR and seeing what happens, as an aggressive Phage upgrade might be interesting to see for one patch.
What is your avatar? It's like a bizarre cross of breakfast, ferrothorn, and like polymerase.

Tortferngatr

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrammaLamma View Post
Sweeper and light bringer in SR is stupid.

Can TT get entropy (so adc's can kite and kill high hp bruisers)
King blade is a nice help for them but when you need to kite 2 targets you are screwed.

And can sweeper get the lantern / light bringer treatment? (where it builds into a more useful late game item with same effect.)
I don't know, dat movespeed...

It might be interesting to see a similar itemization niche to items on TT/Dom get filled on SR, though. Lategame Wriggles upgrade maybe? :P