Why are there different items on different maps?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NEXMaRin

03-09-2013

Ex: Lightbringer.
I love this item, 50 AD, 20 armor, 12% lifesteal and the best passive / active skills in game game, and I'm sure there are others that are just as compelling to summoners for purchase.

Question is, why seperate the buyable pool for different maps?

Claptrap Bot

03-09-2013

1) Wriggle's on Bruiser's Treeline
2) Warmogs and Overlord's Bloodmail OP

Dryad Soraka

03-09-2013

are all maps the same? no

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

03-09-2013
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXrevenge View Post
Ex: Lightbringer.
I love this item, 50 AD, 20 armor, 12% lifesteal and the best passive / active skills in game game, and I'm sure there are others that are just as compelling to summoners for purchase.

Question is, why seperate the buyable pool for different maps?
One of the big reasons is that having different items for different maps helps us balance those maps in a way that doesn't disrupt champion balance on other maps. Mundo got nerfed quite a while back for example because of his dominance at the time on the old version of Twisted Treeline. As a result of those changes, which got him into a better place on old TT he ended up being too weak on Summoner's Rift. Use of map specific elements (items, summoner spells, auras etc) gives us some more precise tools to try and reduce those sort of issues.

Krshna

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
One of the big reasons is that having different items for different maps helps us balance those maps in a way that doesn't disrupt champion balance on other maps. Mundo got nerfed quite a while back for example because of his dominance at the time on the old version of Twisted Treeline. As a result of those changes, which got him into a better place on old TT he ended up being too weak on Summoner's Rift. Use of map specific elements (items, summoner spells, auras etc) gives us some more precise tools to try and reduce those sort of issues.
Remove Kitae's Bloodrazer for BotRK please

KevinDelMarr

03-09-2013

Quote:
So has Mundo been compensated since the new TT? (Or is it the same situation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
This many times over (I want it in Dominion for my WW so bad)

SaveTheMaids

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
So has Mundo been compensated since the new TT? (Or is it the same situation)

This many times over (I want it in Dominion for my WW so bad)
No not really.

Overlord's Bloodmail doesn't grant passive hp regen. You have to get a kill or assist in order to activate it.
It's terrible compared to Warmogs or even Frozen Mallet. At least FM gives a slow and AD, for only 150 less hp.
Bloodmail is only good if Mundo's snowballing but sucks otherwise.

Meanwhile Blade of the Ruined King is fairly accessible and Blackfire Torch is built every game (it does %max hp damage). Then there are the items with healing reduction passives that really ruin Mundo's day. Then there are the champs with %hp damage (and hard CC) in their kits. He has it much harder on TT than SR in terms of itemization.

Tortferngatr

03-09-2013

Quote:
As a guy who primarily plays TT and Dominion, I have a question.

What could you guys do to make the itemization choices/niches more visible (i.e. reducing burden of knowledge concerns with itemization versus champions)? I ask because there are still lots of people who do not take at least one of the two trap detection items against Teemo, and I also think that Dominion could be even better if we had some of the awesomeness of map-interaction items that SR got (perhaps a ranged-only AD carry item that launches a dragon-shaped bolt that can circle around towers briefly to interrupt and damage?).

Secondly, is it okay if we have another champion besides Skarner come from Kalamanda? I'd love to see the possibilities for making interactions with the Crystal Scar--and I'm sure there's someone on the concept wall that could fit in....

lmidorifeed

03-09-2013

Quote:
hows your meddling going?

Vsin

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krshna View Post
This. Bork would go a REALLY long way towards helping Dominion ADCs be more than just Ezreal (and we don't even see him that often anymore!)