Morello, let's talk AP Ezreal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brinzy

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtičl View Post
*edit* (oops meant his 'W') Concerning his 'W', what if it applied a short light-weight slow when it hits enemies? something like %20 slow for 1-1.5 seconds? Or maybe the slow increases the closer the enemy is when they're hit.
It would make him extremely difficult to catch. One point of W would make ganking him closer to impossible. You're basically asking for Volley that's not blocked by minions.

For some reason this gets downvoted, yet I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen any Ezreal/Lulu lane die to a gank if Lulu lands Glitterlance, and all of those times every member Flashed.

Ira et Tolio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Bolded a couple parts. This seems like something we wouldn't want to support, honestly. It's likely why we didn't support AP Ezreal when there was original intent there.

Even if it's fun, it still doesn't mean it's desirable to have in the game.
Remove all the assassins then Morello. They are fun, but aren't desirable to have in the game.

Economicz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2013

Quote:
It's because you're highly valuing the benefits, and undervaluing the costs. If both were balanced and viable, and had good play-patterns, then fine - there's no reason not to. The things I said aren't constraints, they're costs you pay when making changes like this. Costs that are frequently not worth it.

If you want to play AP Ezreal, then it's fun, sure, but in the previous example it actually mentions the problem: "with CDR, you can chunk people every 1.5 seconds." If you think Nid spears are frustrating...

Skill shots are cool, we like them, they're not a free license to do anything though. In a world where that burst level is right, how poor or unsatisfying is Mystic Shot as AD? That's the issue is those things directly fight each other, and if it poses a risk to undoing something that is working well from a balance and play-pattern standpoint, then it's likely not worth it to make it work, especially when Lux has some overlaps too.
except that it takes 8k gold first to chunk people

Arai Kitsune

03-08-2013

Quote:
Bolded a couple parts. This seems like something we wouldn't want to support, honestly. It's likely why we didn't support AP Ezreal when there was original intent there.

Also, how is this worse than a late game AD carry? In fact, the actual damage output is very comparable. AP Ezreal is akin to Vayne, poor early game, horrifying late game. The difference? You guys actually recently buffed Vayne a bit. Plus, unlike an AD carry, you have the Lux thing, where you can potentially do either a ton of damage or miss it all.

Talith PA

03-08-2013

What is this 1.5 second chunking action I keep hearing about? The last time I checked lichbane had a 2 second internal cooldown and required a large chunk of AP behind it to be menacing.

Brinzy

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira et Tolio View Post
Remove all the assassins then Morello. They are fun, but aren't desirable to have in the game.
Why not?

ValtiĆØl

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinzy View Post
It would make him extremely difficult to catch. One point of W would make ganking him closer to impossible. You're basically asking for Volley that's not blocked by minions.
So many champions these days have huge gap closers. It would help his ability to land skill shots and kite a bit better but for the most part I think it wouldn't be too oppressive. Maybe increasing the cooldown on it would make it work. I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas to make it a little less dull to use.

Cloud273

03-08-2013

Quote:

Bolded a couple parts. Why wouldn't we support this?? Shouldn't we get some say in what's "desirable" in this game??

Brinzy

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtičl View Post
So many champions these days have huge gap closers. It would help his ability to land skill shots and kite a bit better but for the most part I think it wouldn't be too oppressive.
For champions with gap closers, you're right; it would help him against them.

But explain to me why he would need this change. Ezreal doesn't have an inherent issue with surviving nor dealing damage, and his skillshots generally can't be responded to besides dodging. There's no reason to add a movespeed slow to someone with that kit and the ability to add in a slow anyway with a multitude of items, in my opinion. I can see his W getting something - just not that.

Brinzy

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud273 View Post
Shouldn't we get some say in what's "desirable" in this game??
We do. A lot of balance changes are made from player feedback, for example.