Morello, let's talk AP Ezreal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-08-2013
7 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence View Post
You say that AP Kog was interesting, then why did you guys completely destroy him?
Because it was interesting, it was just overpowered. Meaning that balance of a primary build trumps the ability to build different items.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasterEvilAce

Senior Member

03-08-2013

The primary issue with AP Ezreal is his lack of reliable waveclear. Against somebody like lux, morgana, malzahar, you are basically pushed to your turret the entire laning phase, scrambling to last hit minions. It's difficult to actually harass your lane opponent at all because of this, and you can end up losing lane pretty easily. It limits your roam potential, and limits your gold income overall. Auto-attacks don't do much, W doesn't hit minions.. E costs so much mana, and his ultimate can't even clear an entire minion wave. The most extreme opponent IMO would be Twisted Fate. His one ability can nearly wipe out an entire line of minions. It's pretty difficult to lane against that.

His W width nerf is pretty noticeable, as well. It would be nice if that was reverted. If he misses that, he doesn't do much damage at all. It also feels like his W doesn't start doing damage until a few points into it.. feels like a waste of mana until then... but if you harass too much with it you'll OOM quickly.

I feel like Sheen getting cheaper on the PBE will help AP Ezreal out a little, though, since Lich Bane is so good on him. But, overall, I used to really love AP Ezreal... but his laning phase is just so awful, and he has few favorable matchups. He can't really be played in any other lane, either.

The best idea that I've heard (but it ends up being a "cheap fix") would be to have his W apply a debuff to minions that it hits, that Ezreal can auto-attack for more damage. Basically, the same thing Lux has. The only down-side is that to apply this debuff, it would have to "hit minions" which would feel strange if it then didn't stack his passive... but stacking his passive on minions would be too powerful, unless he can only generate one stack per ability, from minions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fenix9000

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Bring back old Lich Bane!!!
New Lich bane is an overall nerf to Lich bane users
Champs that didnt do physical damage with on hits usually converted all damage on it to magic damage with the ability (ie mace of spades, urchin strike)
And on hit abilities that did physical damage benefitted from it due to the massive scaling on it, combined with already strong physical damage on the on hit ability.
New Lich bane makes all magic damage on hit abilities weaker, and force physical on hits to being weaker overall form low magic damage on Lich bane, making it mixed dmg.
Weaker overall on most characters.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pink Punk Zebra

Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Because it was interesting, it was just overpowered. Meaning that balance of a primary build trumps the ability to build different items.

Nerf one more time KOG i dare you i double DARE YOU

You destroy him

Kog was balance but because you wanted an ADC you make him ADC and you destroy the AP ratio

You should be ashame of your self!!

Its like rengar.."Oh we dont like Ap rengar boom nerf..Oh we dont like AD tany rengar Boom nerf..Oh we dont like Assasin rengar Boom nerf.."

like i say you should be ashame of your self..


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knote

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Because it was interesting, it was just overpowered. Meaning that balance of a primary build trumps the ability to build different items.
I don't think that answers his question lol, why did you destroy him instead of just toning him down?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arai Kitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix9000 View Post
Bring back old Lich Bane!!!
New Lich bane is an overall nerf to Lich bane users
Champs that didnt do physical damage with on hits usually converted all damage on it to magic damage with the ability (ie mace of spades, urchin strike)
And on hit abilities that did physical damage benefitted from it due to the massive scaling on it, combined with already strong physical damage on the on hit ability.
New Lich bane makes all magic damage on hit abilities weaker, and force physical on hits to being weaker overall form low magic damage on Lich bane, making it mixed dmg.
Weaker overall on most characters.
It's actually stronger on AP Ezreal compared to before, at least assuming the target has decent armour. And by decent, I mean at least in the 70 range, which I believe pretty much every champion has at level 18.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quintessence

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Because it was interesting, it was just overpowered. Meaning that balance of a primary build trumps the ability to build different items.
But why did it have to be basically completely removed... Could have been adjusted instead :/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlargCow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-08-2013

my favorite part about ap ezreal is that it allows me to sit back and support my team with my heal


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arai Kitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Because it was interesting, it was just overpowered. Meaning that balance of a primary build trumps the ability to build different items.
So instead of adjusting it and maintaining the heavy skillshot style of it, you decided that since you apparently wanted him to be AD all along, you had to destroy it and give him AD scaling instead, correct? If autoattacks are so much easier to balance than having scaling abilities(see Corki, Ezreal, Kog'maw), then why not just make everyone based on right click? Would save you a lot of effort, and apparently autoattacking is one of the most popular roles.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delimon

Senior Member

03-08-2013

I think Ez's W should do 20 - 30% damage to minions. Other than that his AOE damage is pretty high.