Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-07-2013
29 of 53 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
Why are so many game design degrees bad? I've never heard enough about them to know; is it just poorly developed curricula?
It doesn't seem like it'd be inherently hard to make a solid degree on Game Design. So i'd suspect the problem is more that the people implementing them are doing a poor job or lack enough knowledge of the area; or are just trying to cash in on a new craze without really knowing games all that thoroughly.
There's a very wide variety of ideas of what these degrees mean at different institutions, and many of the institutions that offer them can't realistically recruit large numbers of teachers who are qualified to teach game design. Additionally, there is still a lot of ambiguity about what 'good' basic game design is in terms of what aught to be taught and what aught not be taught. It's just not mature the same way film is. My view on this is -- if the institution you go to is either FAMOUS for game development, or is a realy good institution, it's probably OK. I am not going to talk specifically about programs here, but the TLDR is:
1) Great game design programs do exist, but they mostly exist because their institution is very good, and in most cases, they've managed to hybridize game design with another set of fields into a good major.
2) Lots of game design programs are NOT good, and in fact, may be much worse than other things you could do.
3) If you work really hard and are self-motivated, you likely will succeed regardless of what you do.

- Zileas

zlefin

03-07-2013

If I was self-motivated i'd already be a success. I can work hard, but self-motivation isn't what I got, I need team motivation to get things done; or to be responsible to someone for it. The system sadly isn't setup for such people.

Lithorendale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

So Zileas, my end goal in life is to be a video game developer, and in the past month I've applied to a job at riot. Not one of the game design jobs, as I've felt I lack the required experience to be picked by a game company. I applied for a shot at RiotU, to eventually become a game designer. I've spent most of my life thinking on how to make video games I play better, and I don't mean poor ideas about how a champion that steamrolls me should be nerfed, but core ideas such as implementing an achievement system or a new map for League. What would you suggest for a path to reaching my goal of game developer?

Axiom Prime

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
There's a very wide variety of ideas of what these degrees mean at different institutions, and many of the institutions that offer them can't realistically recruit large numbers of teachers who are qualified to teach game design. Additionally, there is still a lot of ambiguity about what 'good' basic game design is in terms of what aught to be taught and what aught not be taught. It's just not mature the same way film is. My view on this is -- if the institution you go to is either FAMOUS for game development, or is a realy good institution, it's probably OK. I am not going to talk specifically about programs here, but the TLDR is:
1) Great game design programs do exist, but they mostly exist because their institution is very good, and in most cases, they've managed to hybridize game design with another set of fields into a good major.
2) Lots of game design programs are NOT good, and in fact, may be much worse than other things you could do.
3) If you work really hard and are self-motivated, you likely will succeed regardless of what you do.

- Zileas

I was actually wondering, I've looked through a few colleges around me that have actual "Video game design" degrees, and others that have "COMPUTER SCIENCE AREA OF CONCENTRATION, COMPUTER GAMING OPTION, BACHELOR OF SCIENCE" Forgive the all caps there, I literally just copy pasted that. But back to my question, what is the actual difference here? It would be a dream to work at Riot, or Blizzard...no offense to you guys, but obviously if I had to point out my top 2 computer games I'd prefer to work for it would be League, or Starcraft. When it comes to big names obviously Blizzard is a mammoth, and Riot is following suit while managing to seemingly keep a better connection to it's player base.

Either way, I'm soon to be a 26 year old Marine OIF Veteran, and I haven't even started college yet, just got out of the Marine Corps last year, so while my plans are to focus on a CS Degree, I'm wondering if I should just go for a broad CS degree, or take the specialization for computer game design. I've got the job listings book marked and I'll definitely be checking back time and time again, though I think my leadership skills gained from the Marine Corps, and my knack for map/level design and critical thinking on SCII:WOL would be a great asset to any team. I don't think it will be enough to land an internship just yet. I don't think it will be enough to land an internship just yet.

Terra Enigma

03-08-2013

@Zileans
Your avatar that Annie-Teemo-skin thing what exactly is it? a very very very old Annie picture? Or a intern Fun-Teemo-Skin? Something you have drawn yourself?

@ topic, i know its clichee but it could help if you have worked as a babysitter, cause many managing roles have to deal with tiny quarrels between their subs.

Dont know how it is over there at Riot, but people tend to misunderstand each other and then start to cat-fight.

Axiom Prime

03-08-2013

Pretty sure it's a Gothic Annie concept art

pojarini

03-08-2013

any type of degree doesn't mean anything without talent and diligence

Jack Poe

03-08-2013

Let's say I'm like most people in this thread. I really wanna work for Riot but I have no experience in any field you'd want.

Where would I start for learning this stuff?

octavian1127

03-08-2013

Unfortunately, I have no experience in game design and little experience with programming. However, if you need a company nurse then hit me up!

ParamountPancake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2013

As a junior in high school, what schools would people suggest if i were looking to major or minor in game design?