@Phreak Quinn Champion Spotlight

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LBX Tonyb3

Senior Member

02-28-2013

While i feel like Quinn is going to be a pretty strong champion, i was fairly unimpressed with the spotlight.

You do a really good job explaining a lot of the mechanics and such, (I really enjoyed the part about how you still need to buy wards) but as far as the actual game play went I was a little disappointed.

Normally you showcase a bunch of awesome plays you can make with the champion and you show some intense team fights where she does something that makes your team win the fight, however with this spotlight there were only small skirmishes and nothing really blew my mind.

Is this because you didn't get as many games of Quinn to chose footage from, or is she a carry that requires a high skill cap to make those blow your mind plays and you didn't really have any of those to showcase? Just want your thoughts on the subject.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RockJockey

Senior Member

02-28-2013

good question.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aavak

Senior Member

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyb3 View Post
While i feel like Quinn is going to be a pretty strong champion, i was fairly unimpressed with the spotlight.

You do a really good job explaining a lot of the mechanics and such, (I really enjoyed the part about how you still need to buy wards) but as far as the actual game play went I was a little disappointed.

Normally you showcase a bunch of awesome plays you can make with the champion and you show some intense team fights where she does something that makes your team win the fight, however with this spotlight there were only small skirmishes and nothing really blew my mind.

Is this because you didn't get as many games of Quinn to chose footage from, or is she a carry that requires a high skill cap to make those blow your mind plays and you didn't really have any of those to showcase? Just want your thoughts on the subject.
He chose to show lane-phase skirmishes because she only really 'shines' in lane phase and that's purely because she has some good utility. All of these QQ threads saying that she should be nerfed are quite ridiculous in this respect. With her very short range and without a passive that makes her tankier (by which I make a comparison to graves) or a straight escape mechanism (again like graves) she would be useless before even being released.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LBX Tonyb3

Senior Member

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavak View Post
He chose to show lane-phase skirmishes because she only really 'shines' in lane phase and that's purely because she has some good utility. All of these QQ threads saying that she should be nerfed are quite ridiculous in this respect.
I see. I don't play on the PBE so I don't really know much about champions other than theory crafting ideas for them.

Any other thoughts?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadridFC

Senior Member

02-28-2013

he did not say hes catchphrase


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LBX Tonyb3

Senior Member

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadridFC View Post
he did not say hes catchphrase
Oh snap. Phreak! Where is the tons of damage!

Buff Quinn now!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aavak

Senior Member

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyb3 View Post
I see. I don't play on the PBE so I don't really know much about champions other than theory crafting ideas for them.

Any other thoughts?
Read the edited post. I gave more reasoning. I could also explain that building a Black Cleaver for CDR along with a Trinity Force is more beneficial that a PD and LW because of her passive that gives her an Atk Speed steroid.

EDIT: I'm surprised Phreak didn't mention Trinity Force or say Tons of Damage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-28-2013

That's the only thing she can do. What else do you expect? Do something in a teamfight with that ult? But it's surprising since they can just stage a clean-up to make her look good at that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LBX Tonyb3

Senior Member

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavak View Post
Read the edited post. I gave more reasoning. I could also explain that building a Black Cleaver for CDR along with a Trinity Force is more beneficial that a PD and LW because of her passive that gives her an Atk Speed steroid.

EDIT: I'm surprised Phreak didn't mention Trinity Force or say Tons of Damage.
Not to disagree, but thats like saying every ADC with an atk speed steroid is better with BC instead of LW. (To be clear, I purely mean the att speed steroid, not other parts of their kit. Graves still benefits well from BC due to his abilities).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

02-28-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyb3 View Post
While i feel like Quinn is going to be a pretty strong champion, i was fairly unimpressed with the spotlight.

You do a really good job explaining a lot of the mechanics and such, (I really enjoyed the part about how you still need to buy wards) but as far as the actual game play went I was a little disappointed.

Normally you showcase a bunch of awesome plays you can make with the champion and you show some intense team fights where she does something that makes your team win the fight, however with this spotlight there were only small skirmishes and nothing really blew my mind.

Is this because you didn't get as many games of Quinn to chose footage from, or is she a carry that requires a high skill cap to make those blow your mind plays and you didn't really have any of those to showcase? Just want your thoughts on the subject.
There were actually a couple of snags that set us back on this one, unfortunately.

The first is that LCS takes up a lot of my time, so I'm not able to come back in for last-minute changes nearly as much as I was before. This is something we're looking to fix, but is a problem right now.

Second, we made a couple of small errors choosing clips to portray: I actually recorded Vault going over a wall during the introductory "Ability Demos" section, but failed to include it in the final video. That one's my fault, I should have been watching more closely and made sure that went in.

The third one is actually really unfortunate as we had two different awesome team fights to show.

In one, Hecarim dives in, and QV Vaults away, puts a bunch of damage, and makes him run. QV pops ult, follows him around the side jungle (near Blue's Golem) and takes him out in bird form. This places QV right behind the enemy Lux and gets another assassination, making a 4-1 fight.

The other is basically the inverse. QV dives in with their ultimate too early and is immediately forced to Flash out, showing that the ult is more of an assassination move than an "it's a team fight just press it" ability.

The reason they got cut was because we were playtesting QV at the same time as an upcoming champion rework (Visual? Gameplay? Both? Who knows?! ) that we had planned to reveal by now, but aren't ready to just yet.

I definitely feel your concern, though. I loved how those fights looked and they had some great information in them.

Edit: And the OP is deserving of upvotes. You should definitely call me out if Spotlights aren't up to the quality you expect. Sorry we missed this one for you.


12345 ... 6