Any way to lessen "Intentional Feeding" reports?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ClayPax

02-27-2013

Hi guys, I've been voting in the Tribunal for a little while now (long enough to achieve a ranking) and I really like the system, but there's one thing that's been bugging me. A lot of reports that come up for "intentionally feeding" appear to be bogus.

"Intentionally Feeding," as I understand it, is when someone quite literally walks into an enemy champion or tower, makes no attempt to do any damage (or only auto-attacks) and intentionally dies in order to give kills to the enemy team. For some reason, I see many reports for intentional feeding where the player simply had a bad game. Yes, their K/D ratio is really bad, but they did get a few kills and at least bought items appropriate for their champion.

As we all know, having a bad game is not a report-able offense. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion in the community over this. Is there some way that we can reinforce this point? It's unfortunate that the system gets filled with reports like this. It's like LoL's version of the frivolous lawsuits that clog up the American justice system.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2013

People report for "feeding" way too much.

That's why you are voting though, to decide if they were actually grieving or not.

Xeones

02-27-2013

It's because people get angry first and ask questions later. They either don't realize or don't care that being unskilled is not against the rules.

It's basically impossible to get an intentional feeding punish out of me due to the fact that 9/10 they look like someone who was simply unskilled, the easiest way to tell is the item build and their assist score. Assists typically indicate they were at least trying to contribute.

Things I look for:
Admitting they are trolling and/or carrying on in chat trying to get attention.
Have no items, all boots, all wards, or some other obvious troll build.
Having zero assists and cs.
Or a violation of another rule such as verbal abuse.

The best thing we can do is when we are in matches let people understand the function of the "unskilled" report feature which should help get them where they belong in matched games rather than flooding the system with frivilous reports.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-27-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Intentional Feeding is probably the most confusing report category right now. I've mentioned this in the past, but we want to do a pass on all report categories in the future. There's a lot of redundant report categories and confusing report categories (like Intentional Feeding!) that we want to clean up.

meadow

02-27-2013

Well I don't think that the report itself "Intentional Feeding" is exactly what it should do, people who sells all their items and buys 6x boots/fill it with wards and run down the lane for example.

However, I sometimes just find it hard to judge or foggy when players just particape in the game and do poorly, its not the same as intentional feeding hence its being abused more or less.

Orconem

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Intentional Feeding is probably the most confusing report category right now. I've mentioned this in the past, but we want to do a pass on all report categories in the future. There's a lot of redundant report categories and confusing report categories (like Intentional Feeding!) that we want to clean up.
What about 'Unskilled player'? While I assume the majority of those reports get trashed it seems kinda silly that you can report someone for having a bad game.

CreeperYnnead

02-27-2013

or they could be doing what i see most. All the players doing fine and some one says something another player doesn't agree with then feeds their lane 3+~ kills

Viro Melchior

02-28-2013

Enemy Lee Sin went 0/5.
Never tower dove. Got caught in his own jungle only once. 4 deaths due to gank attempts that got countered.
Enemy mid was raging "report Lee for intentional feeding please".

I mean, I could understand filing a report as "unskilled" at worst, but Lee had done nothing wrong. But people see "feeding" in the report title, and assume any time someone has a bad KDA ratio they can report them for it.

General Stormfox

02-28-2013

Quote:
Do not take this the wrong way, but this is exactly one of those things where we as the users ask ourselves what is taking so long. I mean all you have to do is remove some options and rename the rest, you do not even have to change the architecture behind it as long as you do not suddenly add more options or change the reporting interface in some way. Whatever you may have planned for the report interface, why not make it 3 clearly labelled categories (verbal stuff, disrupting gameplay, inappropriate name - of course with better wording than mine here) until that is done.

Additionaly, I think this is not quite what the OP was asking about. The real question was how to get the notion out of the community that having a bad game or making a bad decision or getting killed alot by better/fed opponents is a reportable offense. You (as in riot) should really do something to clear that misconception up, it has gotten pretty out of hand.

HenryKrinkle

02-28-2013

Quote:

True. Whenever I have been wrong about a case it involved feeding. Reviewed 20 cases a few days ago, all agreed with majority except two where I pardoned but majority punished. They were about feeding.