Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Waldgeist

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
what does Psuedorandom mean?

Like what you did with Yi's double strike?
He probably means pseudorandom crits like in WC3, where your chance to crit increases with every strike.

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
He probably means pseudorandom crits like in WC3, where your chance to crit increases with every strike.
you mean kinda like Game and Watch's "Judgement" (↔B) ability is Super Smash Bros. Melee where scoring a "9" is the best possible number to get, so any time you score a number OTHER than 9, you can't score that number again until you get a 9?

That's be cool to help Gangplank, but it still doesn't help the randomness of his ultimate, the reliance of his Raise Morale to have creeps near or the fact that his passive is only actually useful if the other team has healing/regen spells on it.

SheepKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2010

Was fun to read ^^ ur job looks so cool :S

Worstcase

10-17-2010

Pseudo-random works that, for every time the random whatever doesn't trigger, the random whatever gets an increased chance of triggering the next time, and it continues till it successfully triggers. Then it resets back to the original amount and begins anew.

jester88

10-17-2010

That's why I hate having a gangplank on my team. I'm a believer in murphy's law (if something can go wrong it will) and that's how gangplank is always like. His ult is never clutch enough, same with his Q. Gangplank just always seems like a waste of a teamate because he's rarely reliable.

DSveno

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
what does Psuedorandom mean?

Like what you did with Yi's double strike?
Like, if you have 20% chance to crit, but your first hit doesn't crit, then your 2nd hit will have higher chance than to crit than your first hit, and your 3rd will have higher chance than your 2nd hit, and so on until you get a crit, then it return back to 20%.

SlammerPanda

10-17-2010

fire mage combustion ftw?

Brad

10-17-2010

Great thread Zileas! =) I thoroughly enjoyed reading it - a very enjoyable read indeed, I like knowing these sorts of things.

Also, Gangplank - mainly his ult, oh man :P.

I wonder what it would be like to make every xth cast of parrrley 100% chance to crit... Perhaps damage > crit chance then :P (and crit damage so Infinity Edge still)
(thus allowing it to be more stable, like what happened with Master Yi's double strike passive % changed to every xth attack)

- Or more complicatedily, (example numbers) "if GP's crit chance is 0-25%, every 4th spell cast will crit (100% chance to, or perhaps double the chance to (crit chance * 2) )
if 25-50% crit chance, then every 3rd spell cast will crit
if 50-75% crit chance, then every other parrrley spell cast will crit
if 75%+ crit chance, parrley will always crit.
(... of course the %chance for parrrley to crit would still be applicable for the spell in the remaining spell casts that aren't "100% chance to crit")

Crusalis

10-17-2010

It's funny because everything you said doesn't matter since tanks do damage equivalent to most carries in this game

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-17-2010
81 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzshamanpanda View Post
any chance on naga siren ult coming here?

would be equally "fun" and "unfun" like you want your ideas.

also: i slightly disagree on the topic of manaburn. sure it's a total ***** to whoever's getting drained (quit giggling), but at the same time it's not just "slightly fun" to the person who's draining them...you feel really good (*nudge nudge *wink wink) from draining them, and it does have a clutch element when you know they're about to unload on you (again, quit giggling) and you manage to drain them right before they cast that piece of **** stun that's gonna pwn the faces off your team.
I dont like 'sleep' or 'ae sleep'. The reason is that while powerful, it tends to interfere with DOTS and people who have different gameplans. You either piss off the AE sleep user when you break their sleep quickly, or your dot messes things up, or the invuln you put for .5 sec on the sleep upsets the guy trying to kill him. Just not well suited for a team game.